passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

[PSP] LittleBigPlanet

retroed

This is ace. Sony Cambridge have done a superb job in bringing Media Molecule's PS3 outing to the handheld.

There's your usual story mode (30 levels I think), as well as the Community Moon where you can go online and download user-created levels, and the My Pod where you can customise your sackboy and avatar, and read news.

I went online and downloaded a few levels. There's not a huge amount there at the moment, but it will get better once the game's community has increased. The process is super quick, it takes under 5 seconds to download and save a level to your system. I'm well impressed with that. I haven't tried creating my own levels, but it's something I may try at a later date.

LittleBigPlanet works flawlessly on the PSP, and both looks and sounds brilliant. It's definitely suited to the handheld, and arguably plays better here than on PS3. The ability to download levels (in mere seconds) is excellent, and is sure to add longevity to the game. It being installed on the system memory means I'm more likely to fire up the WiFi every now and then and grab a few new levels to play through.

I got mine from the PSN, obviously, and paid £21.99. It's 1337MB in size. UMD version can be got for around £17.99 I believe. But even for those not playing on PSP Go's, I'd still think about going for the PSN version for reasons stated in the previous paragraph.

The PSP really doesn't get big love on this forum, does it? Nor the DS really. Sad times. :(

Anyway, I played some more of this, and it's great. I reckon this is a game that massively benefits being played on the PSP Go, and I'm not just saying that to further validate my purchase. It just controls so much better, and it's down to that analogue nub. The Go's nub is situated in a super-comfortable position, and feels a lot smoother to move. I played LBP briefly on a 2000 and the location of the stick means you're bending your thumb down and it does become uncomfortable after a while, to me at least, but I do have messed up hands. The triggers are nicer, too. I do find myself playing games for longer periods of time compared to when I had my 2000, and it's just because it's a nicer system to play with. So there, the PSP Go is teh winnar.

I've unlocked the level creator now, although I haven't had a go at making anything yet.

Buy this.

I bought this and am loving it, but may have to see if I can upload any levels I make onto the PC to share, purely because my PSP is running custom firmware but whilst the current cfw tricks the game into thinking I'm running the correct firmware it doesn't trick the online section of the game.

Buy this.

No - I wasnt keen on the physics of the PS3 version - I even went back to try it again recently and still didnt like it. If the PSP version is pretty much the same I cant see me enjoying it. Plus I have just ordered Phantasy Star Zero :)

I have it on the way, dunno why its taking so long. It is on the way, though. Unlike Jak II. <_<

Still not sent it out? Lame.

I downloaded the demo for this off the US PSN store and it was just like LBP on the PS3 which I did not like. So I don't really see the point in buying this. Also, I grabbed onto something and then got stuck under it so I couldn't even finish the demo. Stupid game.

Ed - so is the d-pad no good for this then?

i'll probably pick it up at some point either way.

You can only use the analogue nub for movement, the d-pad is reserved for expression gestures like its bigger brother unfortunately.

I've put some time into it now. So far I've been to Australia, China, India and now in Africa. Its like a students gap year so far, and like a gap year I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it. Its well made and its really clever in parts but I can't put my finger on it, it just feels like I'm adequately passing the time rather than being entertained.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the fact that I went to my third childrens party in two days, I had my PSPGo in my pocket and the hall it was in had Wifi I accidently bought this. When I say accidently - I played the demo - thought it was OK - and then bought it.

I like it better than the PS3 version - the controls while shonky, are slightly less shonky I think but it feels more at home on the handheld. Ed is correct about the analogue stick as well - perfect for this.

I've also had a little go at building my own level and the editor seems a lot easier to use then the PS3 version - although they might have changed that in an update - dont know for sure. The corner editor is much better! I have the start of a level built already.

The levels are just the right size for my train journey too :)