passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin's Creed II

illdog

Made a little more progress on this, did the mission where you eavesdrop on the meeting in Firenze, after that invested a nice wad of change in the villa town.

I am enjoying the game but doesn't it feel like the gamiest game you've ever played? If that makes sense. The ridiculousness of that fact that there are platforms conveniently placed everywhere you need to go. The fact that when you eavesdrop on the meeting in the catacombs, you just happen to come across one of the tombs you were looking for.

Did about 5 or 6 assassination missions and one race before quickly coming to the conclusion that those aspects of the game were going to rapdidly bring me to "fuck this shit" status. I have about 5k coming in to the villa every 20 mins so i don't need the extra income anyway.

I think i'm slowly reaching a stage with games - and i don't want to make any sweeping statements - where i'm really only interested in the experience, the main experience the game has to offer. I feel like 12 year old me would have been happy to "complete 20 assassinations" or "win 20 races", but now...life's too short for that shit. Games are capable of too much for that kind of nonsense. That's not me having a jab at people who do enjoy those things, just the way i feel.

That's not to say i think games should be focused or linear or anything like that, the other game i'm currently playing is Baldur's Gate II which is a sprawling epic that will probably take 50-100 hours to finish.

Of course Assassins Creed suffers from the problem that these extra missions are exactly what you do in the main story missions, doubling the boredom/frustration. I will probably play it again tomorrow but if i feel really fed up of the game again i might switch to Fallout New Vegas for a while. It's funny, for a game that was praised for fixing the lack of variety in AC1 it seems to me to have a crippling lack of variety. It's biggest problem for me though is probably that it seems so last gen coming off Dark Souls...

I'm not sure what it is about this game that makes me ramble on so much, normally i haven't two words to say. But anyway, hopefully someone agrees with me!

I stayed away from pretty much all the bonus missions. I did pretty much everything in the first game, or at least more than the bare minimum, but AC2 is much better when you're just following the story. The game's far too long but at least it feels like it's got a bit of pace when you're ploughing through

I stayed away from pretty much all the bonus missions. I did pretty much everything in the first game, or at least more than the bare minimum, but AC2 is much better when you're just following the story. The game's far too long but at least it feels like it's got a bit of pace when you're ploughing through

Yeah that seems like the sensible option!

Now on to the mountains section of the game. I've been ignoring the courier/assassination/race/fight sidequests but otherwise doing the tombs/codex pages/treasure chests. Currently 3/6 seals broken and 20/30 codex pages deciphered. 73% completion of the villa sidequest.

• 3 months later...

So now the websites working again, I can write about me playing this, thats if I can remember anything.

Um just like 1 but with less collecting, and less outside the Animus plot wank. Which is a good thing. A few things that have come to mind: Why do the shops sell treasure maps for 400 florins when if they used then they could get 10000 florins? I'm always followed by fucking fools on their lutes when I'm trying to assassinate people. I feel like they might sing "Brave Sir Robin" at any moment. Anyway onwards and upwards and into the hay....

• 1 year later...

Very old thread this one, so apologies, but I finally got round to playing this after giving the first one a fair chance the other week. This seems to fix a LOT of the issues I had with the original (the combat especially, it seems a lot faster in this one). I'm enjoying running around the various towns, shooting back to the Villa, then running round some more to do the missions. Loving the codex stuff, even if one or two have been close to breaking my brain, especially a WW2 based one. I'm not ashamed to admit I had to Google that one.

The tombs feel a LOT like the Prince of Persia games, which is fantastic for me. I'm just enjoying it from start to finsih right now. Even doing the side-quests (except for the Assassination Contracts, because they annoy crap out of me) is fun. I can understand the issues other people had in this thread, but for me they add to the experience rather than detract from it.

I've just hit the carnival in Venice, so know I'm approaching the end now. Hopefully I'll have it finished by Tuesday, although I won't be playing GTA until I've got everything I want out of this.

Is it just me though, or are the graphics for this not quite as good as the original? Everyone looks a little more 'waxy' in cutscenes. Desmond looks weird. I dunno if it's because the game is bigger, or what, but I was still a little shocked at how good AC1 looked sometimes. This, just isn't THAT impressive in most places...

Not even sure why I'm bumping this thread after so long to be honest, maybe just to give a little love to a 4 year old game, but I just felt like it needed a little recognition.

• 6 years later...

I started this today via the Ezio Collection. I’ve just completed sequence 2 and am on the way to the villa.

This game obviously struggles due to age. The movement is very stilted, the rules on how the movement works feels inconsistent, fighting is basic, etc. And this remaster is hugely unimpressive as well. A lot of graphical glitches, one hard crash. Also some parts of the game look cleaned up and other parts look very much not. Because I’m always moving that last one isn’t too big of a deal but in cutscenes when you have to look at it it’s hard not to notice.

And yet this game is still super cool. In certain ways Assassin’s Creed was just never as good as 2 or Brotherhood. I think someone could write an essay on the many hows and whys of Assassin’s Creed getting away from itself over the years but, despite feeling pretty old in gameplay, in terms of ‘fit’ it just never really got better than this to me. The setting, the time period, the way it deals with history and something that I think never got enough praise is the music. It’s not something I could hum but it really helps complete these scenes so well. 

Face to face with 3 AC games ehhhh maybe I just play this one, but I’m still more than happy to sit down and play at least one of these because of nostalgia both for that time and for this series. 

• 2 years later...

Necromancing the shit out of this one.

Look. I hated the Assassin's Creed series when it first came out. The first one was terrible, and it didn't really hit the sweet spot until Black Flag. Despite that, I always thought there were glimmers of something incredible that could be unearthed.

Going back to this title via The Ezio Trilogy, it's really difficult to find those glimmers. It's probably a case of the newer games improving literally every system from top to bottom. I do still adore upgrading the Villa, but the missions themselves are so restrictive. I'm gonna keep playing, because it's hitting the simplest parts of my brain, but if I forget to keep playing I won't be too devastated.