passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NME's Albums of the Decade

HandsomeDead

We've not had a list in a while but since we're coming to the end of 2009 then big "of the decade" lists are a given. Here's a music one from the NME.

Source.

1. The Strokes - Is This It

2. The Libertines - Up The Bracket

3. Primal Scream - xtrmntr

4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

6. PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea

7. Arcade Fire - Funeral

8. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material

10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

11. At The Drive In - Relationship Of Command

12. LCD Soundsystem - The Sound Of Silver

13. The Shins - Wincing The Night Away

14. Radiohead - Kid A

15. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

16. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

17. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

18. The White Stripes - Elephant

19. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

20. Blur - Think Tank

21. The Coral - The Coral

22. Jay-Z - The Blueprint

23. Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future

24. The Libertines - The Libertines

25. Rapture - Echoes

26. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner

27. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

28. Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around

29. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World

30. Elbow - Asleep In The Back

31. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

33. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

34. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump

35. Babyshambles - Down In Albion

36. Spirtualized - Let it Come Down

37. The Knife - Silent Shout

38. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

39. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

40. Ryan Adams - Gold

41. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers

42. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

43. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

44. Outkast - Loveboxxx/The Love Below

45. Avalanches - Since I Left You

46. Delgados - The Great Eastern

47. Brendan Benson - Lapalco

48. Walkmen - Bows and Arrows

49. Muse - Absolution

50. MIA - Arular

I've not got alot to say about it. Maybe The Klaxons, I tried to get into their album but after a few listens I found its the worst thing I've spent my time on, awful record. Lots of Doherty in there too, dunno how I feel about that either.

As for number 1, I dunno, I was never that in to them and they only time they won me over a bit was with First Impressions of Earth. I suppose they are one of the main reasons we have loads of guitar indie bands now, for better or worse.

I have a long standing hatred of the NME - "this is the best band in the world!!!!........their first album is out now, meh, they're old hat."

They can fucked with The Strokes and Doherty being anywhere in that list. Also I remember when Kid A got reviewed and the press tore it apart, they backpedaled when the fans loved it though.

Im with Hendo and Dante on this, I too have hated the NME for the duration of my adult life and this list sums it up. Even some of the albums and bands that I like (Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs) shouldnt be on that list, though I will admit it's nice to see PJ Harvey and At The Drive In on there, even if it's not her best album of the decade and ATDI stick out like a sore thumb.

If I was going to make a parody list of the NMEs albums of the decade it would be fairly similar to this. I'm not saying the albums are bad, just that the NME have a type

I don't know a couple of these bands. Do you not think Delgados a worth checking out then on NME's recomendation then?

Though I would say Fever to tell is up there as one of my favourite albums, so fair call I think. You know what, I might get this issue just to see the reasons for these choices, just for comedy value. I am really, really surprised by the amount of Doherty.

Oh well, regreting starting the thread now. I heard about it this morning and thought it might be some craic. I might go and find a forum with some cool (if a little brainwashed) kids and start it there.

And yes. Sly. You have a good point with Demon Days, its certainly better than Think Tank (which I quite like).

I don't know a couple of these bands. Do you not think Delgados a worth checking out then on NME's recomendation then?

Though I would say Fever to tell is up there as one of my favourite albums, so fair call I think. You know what, I might get this issue just to see the reasons for these choices, just for comedy value. I am really, really surprised by the amount of Doherty.

Oh well, regreting starting the thread now. I heard about it this morning and thought it might be some craic. I might go and find a forum with some cool (if a little brainwashed) kids and start it there.

And yes. Sly. You have a good point with Demon Days, its certainly better than Think Tank (which I quite like).

Why? As far as I witnessed, they love a good wank over Pete Doherty. Glad to see Songs For The Deaf on there!

And as for The Arctic Monkeys, not a patch on Mclusky. Do Dallas is probably one of the finest punk rock albums this decade.

Why? As far as I witnessed, they love a good wank over Pete Doherty.

I don't read it,

:)

• 3 years later...

My picks from 2000-2009 would be:

Beck - Sea Change

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica

The National - Boxer

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

Radiohead - In Rainbows, Kid A

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way

Some records that have recently made a big impression me would be The Big Romance (David Kitt) and Time, The Revelator (Gillian Welch), those would be well up there as well...

Edit: Would also have to mention Adore by The Smashing Pumpkins.