passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Borderlands

HandsomeDead

Adding this to the thread of the first game, I got the iPad game Borderlands Legends the other day.

The reason I'm adding it here rather than the one for the sequel is because it uses the 4 characters of the original and follows after the end of the first game.

It's like a real-time point and click RTS, control all 4 characters at once and move them around, use their skills, tell them to heal the others, aim on a particular enemy and all that.

I've only finished the tutorial but I'm not convinced so far, feels a bit unwieldy and slow. At least they did something different with the IP and didn't just make a knock-off FPS.

• 2 months later...

Samuel bobbins and I spent the majority of this weekend playing this in co-op, he as a berserker and me as a hunter. Was good fun once I figured out what I was doing. A few hours in and we hit a massive wall, everything and everyone was kicking our asses, especially mine. But after that little tough spell and a few decent weapon drops later we were back in the saddle.

I think we put about 10 hours in, plenty of time to get a good feel for the game. Its not without its flaws, i mean i hate the fight for your life system. Its a good idea but it can fuck you over far too easily as it all depends on where you go down. I'd like it more if you didn't loose money either, sometimes having to walk 50 miles back to where you were before you died is punishment enough. And the accuracy, don't even get me started.

Despite its flaws it brilliant fun and highly addictive, that hope that a better weapon id just around the corner is a real driving force. I don't know how ill get in playing it solo though.

• 6 years later...

I bought the GOTY edition on XB1X and have been having a blast all over again. I've gone with Siren this time and think I've made the correct decision. She's a lot fun to play as and I like how fast she can move around the map. I played to level 12 last night and didn't want to stop.

They've added the mini-map from Borderlands 2 and it's made such an improvement. Menus are ripped out of BL2 as well, and there are Golden Keys (I received 75 for having played the Handsome Collection).

It looks the part in 4K 60fps, although I have had some screen tearing which I've not experienced since the 360 days. Hopefully it can be fixed because that's not an ideal thing to have in a remaster of a ten year old game on the world's most powerful games console.

But yeah, 25 quid well spent and Borderlands 3 is currently my most anticipated game of 2019. I forgot how good these games feel to play, and how much I enjoy the gameplay loop.

So tempted to pick this up but will wait for the inevitable price drop. Already bought the GOTY edition on the PS3 and this really should be part of the Handsome Collection. A bit miffed that PC owners get the free upgrade.

• 3 months later...

Scratching around for a podcast game I finally started the GotY edition version of this. And not the collected bundle/OG GotY Edition for the 360 But actually the upgraded one with HDR and stuff. It looks like I remember it looking. But it does feel really smooth and the HDR is only used in very certain ways like on lights and fire. The only weird thing is when you load in to a new area there is like a half second where the textures need to load in as well but apart from that it seems good. 

Just got to level 9 and having fun with it. Picked Lilith because I never really played as her and am now regretting that decision because her special ability seems like garbage. Should of went with the guy who has the turret. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to Trash Coast which I’m guessing is the final area of the main game. I have had a lot of fun playing this, it’s still just really satisfying to run and shoot stuff and put a podcast on so you don’t have to listen to it and boom 2 hours goes by in no time. 

I remember when this game came out like, 10 years ago or something that my problem with the game was the looter part. I didn’t know anything about loot games at the time, I barely know anything about loot games now, but the same problem remains that the guns in the game just don’t make a lot of sense to me. Firstly both the drop rate is too fast but the rate of progression of those drops is just really slow. Like the shotgun is my favourite weapon and I think throughout the game I’ve used 4 of them despite finding a million of them. Very rarely do I find a gun better than ones I already have.

Even the colour coding stuff doesn’t make any sense to me. Like I have purple weapons in my inventory that are constantly challenged by green weapons in terms of stats, and yet the purple ones are always better. It’s like if I had a purple gun that did 50 damage and a green gun that did 50 damage the purple one would always do a lot more damage despite being the same. I don’t know if this is a Borderlands thing or this is the case with a lot of loot games but it just makes all the stat comparing seem like bullshit and once you reach a colour just stick with it until you get a better gun that’s also that colour. 

The only exception is I have a purple shotgun and a green shotgun and even though the purple one hits way harder it only holds 2 shots where as the green one holds 12 so it’s just better and less annoying to use. 

But it all feeds back in to the ‘don’t think about it’ part of the game that I like. I also put my game to public and have had people drop in and out and got a few co-op achievements so that’s cool ?

So when I beat the game the other day I got this orange sniper that had 800% critical hit damage, and it looks like at some point today I sold it by mistake ?

Why would you make the keep button one R3 click but the junk button 2 R3 clicks ?

Jesus Christ I just sat through and entire Mad Moxxi large arena challenge and I can see why people hated this back in the day. A hundred rounds took me about 2-3 hours to clear. And there are two more to go! I’ll do another one next weekend and the last one the week after because that is insanely long and dull

I finally finished all the big arena challenges. That last one took about 3 and a half hours. But it’s unloseable. I’m not sure if I have an omega level shield or my game has bugged but I haven’t taken damage in forever in this game. As a test when I got to the “Horde wave” (where all the melee guys rush you) I got up and went to the toilet and came back and they were all swinging away and I was still invincible. I have a mission that is for a level 60 character and I’m level 45. I’m tempted to give it a go just to see if the game is broken or if I’m bulletproof.