passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe

retroed

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe is now available on PSN (69MB) for £9.99. I decided to give it a go after reading a bunch of positive reviews, and remembering that the PS3 version received a lot of praise at the time. And rightly so.

Monsters Deluxe is the PS3 version with its expansion pack, plus a whole bunch of new stuff, including online play. It's a tower defence game in which you control Tikiman, trying to protect your people by building various defence measures. This one differs to most tower defence clones in that you have to collect coins and gems from your enemies as they are defeated, so that you can upgrade or build more towers. Collecting the gems allows you to unlock other towers, or upgrade the ones you have. You can also upgrade your towers by guiding your Tikiman to one of them and dancing over it. It's as cool as it sounds. There are three islands in total. I've unlocked the second one but am still trying to get the Rainbow on each of the levels on the first one. You receive Rainbows when you perfect a stage, by destroying every enemy and not letting any of them reach your tribe.

It's so addictive, so well suited to the PSP, and is just plain awesome. I'd never played PixelJunk Monsters before, so was naturally a bit wary of spending £9.99 on something I couldn't sell on if I didn't like it, but I'm really glad I took the plunge. I have serious OCD on getting perfects at the moment. I've managed it on the first six levels, but I can see it getting harder later on. It's all good though, the best tower defence game I've played.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Not just you Ed. I've been playing it too, but 11 years later.

My main thing is it's hard. Like too hard. I've played a lot of Tower Defence games and this is up there with Savage Moon for the difficulty. I want to like it a lot more, and maybe if I drop down a difficulty I will, but on normal it's just tearing strips off me. Pixeljunk seems to be artisans in this sort of thing, make the first few levels ok, then just ramp up the difficulty to a point that makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking.

I've quite a few Tower Defence games to play, and if casual mode starts playing silly buggers with difficulty spikes and trail and error stuff, I'll be looking to move on.