passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Jack The Ripper

Hendo

EA developer Visceral Games will follow Dante's Inferno with a project based on British serial killer Jack the Ripper.

That's what the LA Times was told by a pair of sources (via VG247) "close to EA".

The report added that Visceral - creator of Dead Space - is working on another unannounced title as well.

Both games will be made without creative director Glen Schofield and chief operating officer Michael Gondry, though, as they have defected to Activision Blizzard where they will establish and run a brand new studio.

Jack the Ripper was the nickname of the notorious British killer who slaughtered prostitutes on the streets of London circa 1888. Probably as a result of all those violent videogames he must have played. Whether we'll play as him or as the authorities pursuing his capture is unknown for now.

Could be good, could be like Dante's Inferno, which is a bit of an industry joke at the moment.

While re-writing the poem to fit their warrior character isn't the best way to gain respect from the book types I think it should provide an slightly unusual game world for gamers to explore, god forbid it might get a few into atleast looking into The Devine Comedy if they like what they play.

While their games are by know means original they are atleast taking on interesting subject matter. So yeah, Like Dante's Inferno and Dead Space 2 I will be keeping one on it.

EA's Jack the Ripper will be a hero

EA studio Visceral Games' interpretation of Jack the Ripper will cast the legendary British serial killer as a hero.

Instead of disembowelling prostitutes, Mr Ripper will save innocent people from demons and vampires, using an exaggerated array of weaponry and some kind of time-slow ability.

That's what "sources" told Destructoid after the Jack the Ripper game was leaked by the LA Times.

Visceral's approach to the material may infuriate "Ripperologists", but sounds similar to the hack-and-slash treatment the studio has given Dante's Divine Comedy in Dante's Inferno.

Do remember that a Jack the Ripper game is still unconfirmed by EA, however convincing the evidence may appear.

Riiiiiight.

It's not a million miles away from the plot of From Hell. He's not a hero in that, far from it, but it's what he believes.

If this is accurate then it's a bit of a shame because I really think there's a lot of potential in the Ripper story, not just as a game, but bar From Hell, there's not been too many properties that have made the most of it

So Jack thinks that these prostitutes are horrid old demons and he's gonna sort them out? I've never seen From Hell but that sort of makes sense but while that sounds interesting I'm unsure of using Jack the Ripper, I know any press is good press but... y'know. It could get messy.

My memory's a bit fuzzy on it (might watch it again tonight), and I think it's different to the book (which is too huge to reread at the mo), but in one of them he thinks that the women he kills will open the doorway to the understanding of everything. It works well to make him genuinely terrifying, before reading/watching that he was always a bit neutered to me because of how long ago it was, but his relentlessness does work to make him scary.

If they were to set him as delusional, as still being unsympathetic, then I think this could be a really interesting game. Not in a lulz murder kind of a way, more tumbling into his darkness, exploring his psyche type thing. It wont happen and you'll end up eating wombs to regain health, but I could make this an interesting and challenging game (please let me direct this game EA)

EA's Jack the Ripper will be a hero

Instead of disembowelling prostitutes, Mr Ripper will save innocent people from demons and vampires, using an exaggerated array of weaponry and some kind of time-slow ability.

*facepalm* But oddly enough, this is pretty much exactly what the Bombcast crew were suggesting would happen (in jest) on the last podcast.

If these rumours turn out to be true, I see Visceral Games becoming a bit of an industry joke (regardless of if the games are any good). Still, they've got their work cut out to be more repulsive than Dante's Inferno.

i know this is off topic, but why is dante's inferno an industry joke? Is it because they have taken the poem and turned it into god of war? Because if it is, i don't really see what the issue is. As a concept, going through the 7 circles of hell tearing shit up sounds pretty fun, just my 2 cents.

As for the Jack the Ripper game, if its something along the lines of From Hell, like Ben is suggesting, it could be an interesting (if somewhat controversial) game.

i know this is off topic, but why is dante's inferno an industry joke? Is it because they have taken the poem and turned it into god of war? Because if it is, i don't really see what the issue is. As a concept, going through the 7 circles of hell tearing shit up sounds pretty fun, just my 2 cents.

That, and that it's so close to God of War that Sony could sue.

That Conan game was more than a little inspired by God of War. Isn't imitation the most sincere form of flattery?

Though I have to say that GoW, DMC and NG are all different beasts. Its like saying Halo is just like Battlefield, on basic level they are alike in reality they're not.

i'd like to see a proper mature investigative point and click for this. if they just turn it into another button bashy beaty uppy game it seems a waste of perfectly good source material.

• 5 months later...

Looks like it's gonna be a download game.

Visceral Games' Jack the Ripper game appears to be the PSN and Xbox Live Arcade project mentioned last month.

The news comes via analyst Michael Pachter at Wedbush Morgan, whose latest report on publisher EA includes the following note:

"In its Visceral Games studio, which is located at its headquarters, the company is currently developing Dante's Inferno (just released), Dead Space 2, and Ripper (a new PSN, Xbox Live game)."

EA has previously said that Visceral is working on Jack the Ripper and last month Nick Earl from Visceral said it had PSN/XBLA output on the way.

That was originally rumoured to be an adaptation of the Wii title Dead Space: Extraction and a new game called Planet Cracker, and the wording of Earl's comments and Pachter's doesn't rule those out either.

We've asked EA for comment.