passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

What temperature should my lappy be running at?

Oliath

So... using my unibody macbook pro to dual boot into windows 7 (which is lurrrvley) and play games off Steam.

Been working fine for a while but the damned thing does get really hot.

Right now running OSX and just downloading some stuff in the background while browsing the web the thing is running at 60 degrees c.

Playing a game in OSX will push it up to 90!!!!!

The top of the laptop (right above the F1 to F5 keys will get REALLY hot.... at times almost too hot to touch... even now its toasty.

I do know as a part of the design that the aluminium casing is actually acting as part of the heatsync... but is it normal for my CPU to sit at 60 deg c when just browsing?

Admittedly it's pretty hot in the room i am in as i am not running the AC at the moment...

In Windows when gaming again the CPU pushes up to 90.

I downloaded some drivers from laptopvideo2go (so not official ones for my hardware) and found that my machine would, after about half an hour of gaming, just go to sleep... which i assume is a protective measure when the computer overheats??

Checking back the temperatures when the thing went to sleep it maxed at 105 deg c!!

Basically... i am trying to figure out if this is normal / safe temperatures for a laptop to run at when you are gaming on it or if i have a hardware fault and i should take it in to a service centre.

I don't mind raping it while it is under warranty though... if it fails now then apple will replace it... but im still not convinced that those temperatures are normal... or about the whole going to sleep while gaming thing.

Lol

I am guessing that chips are designed to run pretty hot these days but over heating will reduce the life.

Might be worth investing in applecare to extend the warranty to three years.... at least that way when it does fry i can get it fixed with no fuss.