passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Katamari Forever

Sly Reflex

Well, After spending an age in the post, it is finally here. Not played much of it yet, but it looks pretty, more so than BK on 360. The effects are gorgeous, the way the tutorial has like a cell shaded crayon vibe going on, as well as some one level starting of B&W and gradually been painted in colour as you roll. It controls better than the 360 game too, but I'm not so sure about been able to jump the katamari, although I did flukely open a trophy for doing this. More to come as I get deeper in.

I've some mixed feelings about this. There are some levels that are recycled from BK with just added power ups, a different filter and a different person dealing out the orders. The level that I am speaking of is the rich house where it has you picking up precious stones and gold ingots. I wasn't so keen of that the first time round, but here it's just really fucking lazy. The power ups are shit, picking a broken heart up will attract all nearby objects that are of pick up-able size onto your ball, while the full heart launches fever mode. I have not got a clue what fever mode entails apart from bordering the top and bottom of the screen with dancing cousins. The jump, which is cumbersome to use doesn't work half the time due to sixaxis problems, it feels like it has been put in for no other reason other than it is there. Pointless. PSN also throws a spanner in the works by failing to update your ranking all the time, so if you do have a super run where everything goes right, chances are you wont be able to compare because PSN will spaz out when it comes to uploading your actions.

However, the bits that have been re jigged and the all new parts are awesome. Not wanting to spoil much for the people that are waiting on this, but they really are nice, some turning the pick everything up and getting bigger mentality right on its head (one point been the cow and bear level). The constellation level really made me smile too, going for all constellation representatives is something I am going to go back to once I have seen all the other levels.

I keep meaning to buy one of the Katamari games because it is something I feel I should play, I played the demos of the 360 one and this one. They seem like fun but its the sort of thing I might get during the summer lull.

Good to know if you haven't played any of the others then you can be ignorant of its faults.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure what all the fuss about Katamari is? It seems like a good idea, but implemented really badly. The controls are some of the most user unfriendly I have ever come across. Maybe its the Sixaxis that just isnt up to it, as they dont seem to work half the time. The camera is awful as well and coupled with the awful controls it just comes across as a big ol mess on the screen.

Its not even the motion control that is to blame as they are all mapped to a button as well - it just doesnt control well at all. Not a Katamari fan. :(

I may be missing something but I think it would be as simple as having one analogue stick and L1/R1 to control the Prince and the other for the camera - instead of pushing both to go forward and one forward and one back to go left or right (I swear going right does not work) and having the camera controlled by fuck knows what!

Yup, the controls suck. Admittedly I've only played what are generally considered the two lesser titles in the series, the PSP one and the 360 one. I couldn't play either for more than fifteen minutes before going 'I've tried, but this just is not for me'. I didn't find the games themselves much cop, but those controls really didn't help. I agree with Stoobie on the pushing both sticks to go forward and stuff, it seems very archaic to me.

the controls are tricky but i think they are essential for the game to work at all, without them it'd be a bit like playing mario, with hardly any moves and only collecting coins, ok not the best explanation ever, but i just think it would loose something.

• 3 years later...

Ive had the Katamari urge recently, just wanted to play a version of this game. Was gonna fire up Beautiful Katamari and look for the last 2% of the collection when I remembered I had this version on the PS3 which I had played for about an hour previously.

To be honest there's nothing new I can say about this game but I really like this version> The cell shaded graphical style I have enabled gives it a lovely feel and I'm loving the soundtrack as always, new songs and a whole ton of remixes. Lots of new levels, lots of old levels and a comedy punishment mini game if you dont roll up what you are told to.

Its most definitely a case of same old same old but when all you wanna do is roll a ball around collecting cowes, bears and ice cream its the perfect tonic.

• 6 months later...

Did I never say I finished this? Did I never say it might be my favorite entry of the series? Playing Touch My Katamari on the Vita of late has made me appreciate how good Katamari Drive mode is and I barely touched those versions of the stages in Beautiful Katamari. Drive Mode is just the regular stages played at twice the speed so your given less time to meet the stage requirements but once you start playing this way it makes it hard to go back to normal, the controls really benefit from the increased velocity.

• 4 years later...

I never finished off Drive mode. I've been rectifying that today. I really should be playing RDR2 but i've had this Katamari jones and fuck me this games great. I think Katamari might be the most positive game ever made and it's incredibly good fun. If I came home and found my wife unconcious on the floor but with Katamari Forever paused on the TV i'd have a tough time making the choice of phoning for an ambulance before or after i'd had a quick go. On Katamari, not my unconcious wife. But that does give me an idea...