passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Activision thread

Hendo

Doesn’t do anything @Sly Reflex people still spend shitloads on MTX, FUT and the ilk. People love MTX/FUT etc. It’s become an accepted part of games and gaming culture, there is no war because it’s already lost.

I’ll buy the games I wanna buy, it’s entertainment and boycotting or avoiding a game isn’t going to really do anything at all, don’t kid yourself. 

I’ve boycotted some titles before like Gearboxes titles post Aliens:CM but I never did it expecting it to make actual change at the top of Gearbox’s management or anything grandiose, I purely didn’t feel comfortable giving them money for hoodwinking people at that E3 demo.

As much as you want to think you’re making a difference you’re not, you’re just an insignificant number on some spreadsheet or server somewhere. 

We’re all just pawns in the machine.

Thing is, we can do something about it,and not buying into microtransction shit does work. 

Shadow Of War was crippled by lootbox bullshit,making a mockery of the Nemesis system,the series’ major selling point. It didn’t sell nearly as well as the previous game,and eventually they stripped them out completely. 

Battlefront 2 is an even better example. That game was utterly ruined by lootboxes,and a ridiculous level of grind. People said “you can fuck off”. To the extent that Disney stepped in,and gave EA a massive,well deserved bollocking.

”I can’t change it” is the wrong attitude to have,because we can. And change is most definitely coming. Several countries consider lootboxes to be flat-out gambling,and thus illegal in their country. Which has wanker companies like 2K draft up statements advising their fans to petition their local government to say “I love paying for that RNG shit,please make them legal”. 

And now with regulations on the horizon,change is incoming. They’ve took the absolute piss with lootboxes for years,and they won’t be getting away with it forever. Despite people like David Jaffe jumping publicly to their defence, with “its censoring our art!”. 

Will it stop micro transactions? No. Will it stop ridiculously over-priced Season Passes? No. 

But it will eventually impact lootboxes. And that’s going to be hilarious.

Fuck lootboxes. And fuck Activision. Morally corrupt,greedy twats.

I seriously don't think people love MTX. That's like saying you love paying overdue tax or something

I dont really buy all the ideas that every game is crippled in some way, every system compromised to upsell MTX. But some definitely are, like MGSV:Phantom Pain. One major reason I gave Survive a wide berth (besides boring survival mechanics) is how TPP got patched to become worse and to decline your resources if you weren't deeply invested in its FOB system. It took so long to buy a base in that game and you got heavily penalised for neglecting it.

But not at release. They just made it worse over time, tightening the screws. I got my copy a full 5 days early or so and the economy was not so harsh until they turned all the systems on. I got all the way to chapter two before the game actually came out so the drop in quality was hilariously steep when it kicked in

I don't know if it's come up ITT but with something like DMC it's a bit different I reckon. Cause it's not an RPG and the input requirements for an expensive skill are harder to learn than the time it (usually) takes to purchase it. However the part of that game where you can spend MTX to kill bosses is laughable and really has no place on a game like that. I do think the skill buying controversy is overblown in comparison to that

People literally gleefully make FUT videos on YT all the time with them spending £100s on packs to open for their audiences. People adore FUT, they even have real life footy players holding their cards if they have a good game or get in TOTW etc. @one-armed dwarf

Battlefront 2 still sold really well and the game is fantastic now. I’ll be there Day 1 for Battlefront 3 ☺️ @Sly Reflex

The Anti-Activision rhetoric is very reminiscent of the MW2 ‘Boycott’ back in the day ? 

Can’t wait for Crash Team Racing, and I actually like Loot Boxes quite a bit as long as they’re only cosmetic ?‍♀️

I’ll be here tomorrow for more hot takes.

And apparently I am the mark on here??

Just now, Blakey said:

People literally gleefully make FUT videos on YT all the time with them spending £100s on packs to open for their audiences. People adore FUT, they even have real life footy players holding their cards if they have a good game or get in TOTW etc

The thing is,cosmetic lootboxes are far worse than micro transactions. People like extra skins and stuff. I get that. Have I paid for micro transactions now and then? Yeah. Particularly in Dead By Daylight,I’ve got numerous costumes for my Survivors and Killers.

However,the difference between lootboxes,and microtransactons, is  that loot boxes are completely random. You literally have no idea what you’re unlocking. So if you want a specific piece? Then you’re fucked. Keep spunking money on lootboxes,and there’s a slim chance you MIGHT get what you want. Most likely you won’t, so off you go again. Hence it being compared to gambling.

Overwatch is notorious for this. Made worse,because you can still unlock items you’ve already unlocked. Making the odds of getting something you actually want,even lower.

As for Battlefront selling “really well”, I find that debatable. It definitely didn’t sell as well as it should have,considering the license. And made EA’s apology statement (“We know Battlefront 1 was dodgy,2 will make up for that) seem laughable.

I just don’t understand why anyone would be happy with paying for Lootboxes for cosmetic items,when the odds of getting what you want are deliberately low,to entice you to keep buying more.

Wanting cosmetics, I can understand.

Paying for them via rng lootboxes? Nope. Makes utterly no sense.

And as for “anti-Activision” rhetoric,that they have most definitely brought upon themselves,through years of treating their customers like utter shit.

Case in point,Modern Warfare Remastered. In anyone else’s hands, this would have been a no-brainer. Activision decided to turn it into “how much can we milk out of our fanbase?”. From locking it behind Special Editions of Infinite Warfare. To filling it with micro transactions. To carving out maps,utterly ignoring the whole point of Remasters,to include all the original content,to charging more for them than they originally cost back in the day.

Activison does not give a single solitary fuck about us. All they want is money. All the money. Because whatever they make,is never enough to make those bastards happy. COD earns them millions,but they bitch and moan because it hasn’t made them enough millions.

Absolute pricks.

18 minutes ago, Blakey said:

People literally gleefully make FUT videos on YT all the time with them spending £100s on packs to open for their audiences. People adore FUT, they even have real life footy players holding their cards if they have a good game or get in TOTW etc. @one-armed dwarf

I'm sure those football players are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. :lol:

People don't love buying card packs, they love the fleeting feeling of getting a good card pack. They are chasing the dragon and those videos you mention are heavily monetised so they are not just doing them for the joy of chasing a lootboxes high. They are just creating a feedback loop geared towards making people who are bad at money spend more money and in the process make the Utuber money

Like nobody loved buying a sticker pack full of spares. We did it because we were marks and wanted to get something good but too stupid and poor at self discipline to recognise the game being played on us. And same with FUT.

Sure, the "battle" is "lost" or whatever but let's not pretend that people adore it or whatever. It's about chasing that dragon. The shiny charizard

Although Pokemon TCG was actually pretty cool.

Modern Warfare Remastered was legitimately fantastic, it’s a shame it was gated behind Infinite Warfare though or sure. I never saw any MTX in the game when I played it shortly after release but I assume they patched them in or something. Didn’t see them myself though.@AndyKurosaki 

Overwatch was my first experience with Loot Boxes - aside from FUT I guess - and I loved them, still do whenever I get one when levelling up on OW on PC when I play even now. Never paid a penny for any of them though, never paid for any MTX for that matter aside from some FUT packs maybe when FUT first became a thing in FIFA 10 or something.

Also Battlefront 2 sold 9 million copies as of January 2018 - still fantastic numbers, just not as good as Battlefront 1. 

SWBFII would have sold more if it wasn't for the backlash. I and a few others that were going to get it backed out. I am sure as shit there were enough of us that didn't buy that hit EA's bottom line. Still sold a fuckload because it's Star Wars, but it could have sold so much more if not for the controversy.

I'm of the idea that you can buy an Activision game if you believe in the particular project, like I know a number of us are looking forward to Shadows Die Twice. 

But that doesn't mean you can't call them out when they do shit stuff.  Will it have an immediate affect? probably not but if you keep the rhetoric going it does have an affect eventually. 

I think Battlefront II was also the straw that broke the camel's back as well as having particularly bad MTXs in a high profile game, since EA had been needlessly shoving them in everything. 

And I'm also someone who never bought either Battlefront game because of the pricing structure.  The first was because you had to pay £80 for a satisfying amount of content and the second because of pay to win. 

1 hour ago, DifferentClass said:

I'm of the idea that you can buy an Activision game if you believe in the particular project, like I know a number of us are looking forward to Shadows Die Twice. 

This. I purposely avoided paying for Activision games between CoD4 and Destiny. Geometry Wars 2 was the only game I bought between those times if my memory serves me right. Maybe Guitar Hero III as well, I can't remember if that was before or after the MW2 bullshit that caused me to halt purchasing from them.

11 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

This. I purposely avoided paying for Activision games between CoD4 and Destiny. Geometry Wars 2 was the only game I bought between those times if my memory serves me right. Maybe Guitar Hero III as well, I can't remember if that was before or after the MW2 bullshit that caused me to halt purchasing from them.

You do realise that seems to completely contradict what you said earlier right?

Who doesn’t buy a game they believe they’ll enjoy regardless of company practices (that fall in line with almost every other company).

I paid for a complete game that had a decent amount of content for the correct price. There was no slight of hand on Activision's behalf there. Credit where credits due, if they do the right thing, I'll buy. The other stuff they've done? Yeah, I don't like the practices behind that, so I'm not going to support.

That's not a contradiction, that's telling them I'm willing to buy stuff from them if they don't act like a greedy set of shits.

• 4 weeks later...