passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Activision thread

Hendo

"I've never met him in my life – I've never had anything to do with him. I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it.'

That's so much bullshit. They must have forgotten that they already explained why they dropped Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend etc. at the time. That they couldn't exploit them on an annual basis with sequels and updates.

• 1 month later...
Activision CEO and rust-flavored harbinger of Hell's eternal night Bobby Kotick has said something that isn't evil. In fact, he's criticizes the rather sleazy "online pass" initiative that Electronic Arts and THQ have recently embraced, because the scheme isn't in the best interests of the consumer.

"We can do some of these things that EA and others have done," he explains. "We actually don't think it's in the best interest of the gamer, and so we've chosen not to.

"From a financial perspective you look at it and say, 'Okay, well the retailer is not paying us anything for the privilege of doing it and you know we invest all this capital in making a game and we are not getting any credit, any return on their resale of the game,' but, you know something, the best way to keep people engaged in your game experience is keep giving them more great content.

"I think you always need to be sensitive to that relationship and not crossing the line to a place where the customer feels like they have been taken advantage of."

Of course, it's in Activision's best interest to make sure everybody has free and easy access to the multiplayer, because then it gets to sell more $15 map packs. This, of course, throws up an interesting question -- what would you rather have? Expensive DLC, or online passes? Exactly which is the lesser of two evils?

Destructiod

What a cun.... oh, wait this is probably a good thing.

Yeah, I saw that. Blur didn't sell that badly, it stuck around a bit in the top 30 for a few months I seem to remember. And as for that Bond game, the fault lies entirely with Activision cos that game got zero exposure, it also looked to have been made with limited resources.

It's probably for the best, I hope the talent start a new studio and start afresh. Probably not with Activision.

oh man this is terrible news, hope they carry on making games somehow - either bought or reform under a new name.

not sure how highly other people rate them but for me they're up there with the best. the pgr/msr games were consistently brilliant and probably my favorite racing game series, great handling, great tracks, varied career structure, the only problem was idiots ruining the online mode, which apparently is why they made blur, i wasn't convinced it was a good idea but it was a triumph, mainly for the spot on weapon balancing and 20 player chaos, completely proved me wrong. if they are gone they'll be well missed.

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose is suing Activision for $20 million, claiming the publisher breached an agreement not to use the likeness of former guitarist Slash in Guitar Hero III.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Rose's claim states, "[Activision] began spinning a web of lies and deception to conceal its true intentions to not only feature Slash and VR [Velvet Revolver] prominently in GH III, but also promote the game by emphasising and reinforcing an association between Slash and Guns N Roses and the band's song Welcome to the Jungle."

Apparently Rose rescinded permission for Activision to use Welcome to the Jungle in the game when he heard that Slash was to feature. The publisher then allegedly lied to the singer, insisting Slash's likeness was there just for the purposes of a trade show.

Rose is also unhappy that Activision used Sweet Child O' Mine in advertising for Guitar Hero III, claiming the song was only licensed for Guitar Hero II.

"This lawsuit is about protecting Guns N' Roses and Welcome to the Jungle, and is about holding Activision accountable for its misuse of these incredibly valuable assets," explained Rose's lawyer Skip Miller. "The relief we are seeking is disgorgement of profits and compensatory and punitive damages."

Well, I'm conflicted. Who do I hate more?