passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Epic Mickey

Hendo

Don't know if this has been posted before but the concept art got leaked ages ago:

goofy_zombie.jpg

thin_wallhires.jpg

bwx01.jpg

castle_side02.jpg

castle_dwn_view.jpg

From a couple of months ago:

Disney Interactive Studios bought Junction Point - which Deus Ex mastermind Spector formed with several other Ion Storm alumni - two years ago. Not long after, it was rumoured - notably in American gaming magazine EGM - that Spector was working on a Mickey Mouse platform game intended to rival Mario.

Last year, Spector said that he was "tired of making games about guys in black leather carrying guns" and that "100-hour games are on the way out". He also revealed that Disney Feature Animation and Pixar were collaborating on Junction Point's game.

And there's more. In an archived Edge interview from E3 2006 - before the Disney acquisition - Spector said: "I want to do a cartoon game really bad - well, really good. People don't realise that I did my Masters thesis on Warner Brothers cartoons, you know - I used to teach animation classes, I've been a Disney stockholder since I was 19. I'm a cartoon freak, I've met a bunch of the old WB directors, and did Toon, the cartoon [pen-and-paper] RPG… And I've been trying to get somebody to let me do a cartoon game for the entire time I’ve been in the videogame business."

In that same interview, Spector even alluded to a project that sounds an awful lot like "Epic Mickey". "I did some concept work on a license with a media company that was very cartoony, and boy, we did some great work," he said. "It was the most fun I've had in a long time, maybe since Deus Ex. The work was phenomenal, and I'll never be able to show it or talk about it with anybody. But hopefully the project will happen. We were gonna let people live in a cartoon world, and it was going to be wacky."

It's gonna be revealed officially very soon.

According to some heavy hints in the latest issue of US magazine Game Informer, Warren Spector's Mickey Mouse game will be revealed in next month's issue - and its "Epic Mickey" codename might just end up as its official title.

"Something epic is brewing," reads the teaser ad, snapped by Superannuation. A magazine redesign and webiste relaunch of "epic proportions" are promised, "and the star of the show is someone you might just know". The Disney mascot's unmistakeable silhouette can be seen on a preview of the magazine's cover.

Epic Mickey has been bandied about as the codename for a game in development at Warren Spector's Junction Point Studios, owned by Disney. According to some leaked concept art, it will offer a surprisingly dark, steampunk-style take on Mickey Mouse's world. There are suggestions that it will be a Wii exclusive.

Excited to see what this turns out like!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a Wii Exclusive.

The concept for this game looks so good and Warren Spector is behind it so I want to be super excited, but when I hear: "Wii Exclusive," I can't help but feel a bit sceptical. The art looks so stunning I just don't think the Wii can do that style justice.

I don't care, I think it's got potential to be amazing!

A source close to Disney has let slip the first details of Warren Spector's new Wii game, Epic Mickey, to Eurogamer.

The choice of platform, incidentally, boils down to Mickey's tools - paintbrushes, erasers, thinner, pencils and other artist tools - being mapped to Wii remote gestures.

But let's rewind a bit.

Epic Mickey is a tale about the 'forgotten' Disney stars: the rides, the characters, the lesser-known cartoons. When nobody any longer cares, they are cast into a dark void; a forgotten world of broken machines and bitter personalities - a bit like Sid's bedroom in Toy Story, but without the friendly furnishings.

This forgotten world is run by Oswald the Rabbit. He was Disney's first creation, made long before Mickey Mouse, and his jealousy of the newcomer has fermented for years. Now, finally, Oswald is ready for revenge.

He unleashes The Phantom Blot to wipe out Mickey and his cartoon world. The Blot pollutes the Disney universe with sticky black ink that makes colours run and fade (as seen on the Game Informer cover), so it's up to Mickey to restore peace and order. And this is where his tools come in.

Mickey has to draw and scribble his way through levels, mending broken bridges by applying the right colour paint or peering through walls after applying thinner. He can even clear rubble from his path by erasing parts of the world.

Our source told us Epic Mickey is a game about thinking and artwork - laterally considering your environment in order to overcome puzzles.

On top of that is a healthy dose of exploration, plus Mickey will be getting "his first makeover in years". "That's why no one's seen his face yet," our source explained, "But he's far more retro than you've seen him for years."

I'm well looking forward to this. :D

Fuck yea this looks awesome. I was actually excited to hear it was a Wii exclusive, this should mean the controls should be spot on. And no-one can deny that a well done Wii game with its shake-shake adds a layer of immersion you cant find on another console.

I hear what CSD says about the graphics but if its all cartoony there shouldnt be a massive problem? I mean were not talking about Oblivion here, its a dark cartoon world so i have high hopes its gonna look amazing.

Fuck yea this looks awesome. I was actually excited to hear it was a Wii exclusive, this should mean the controls should be spot on.

Uh. Yeah. "Spot On". That's literally the first phrase that crosses my mind when I think of games using Wii controls :unsure:

So it looks like they're making the painting idea central, If it just pointing at stuff then I'm sure it'll be fine. When they do start introducing the waggle for something you could do with the buttons is when it can start to go wrong.

Uh. Yeah. "Spot On". That's literally the first phrase that crosses my mind when I think of games using Wii controls :unsure:

You sarcy fucker. See i instantly think of how much more i enjoyed Twilight Princess because of the Wii Controls. And also my point was the fact that if it isnt a multi format affair the conrols will be a bit more....dedicated.

We shall see.

I hope it's Motion plus compatible then. Delicate actions like painting will need it.

I admit the control concept does sound fun, but with the ps3 and 360 getting versions of motion control it would have been cool to have it on one of those. Then again a disney game will do better on the Wii than any other platform

Well, rumour was going around this morning that Game Informer had dropped the "Wii Exclusive" from their announcement website, which has led people (mainly VG247 which is fairly PS3 biased really) to jump to the conclusion it may also appear on PS3 with its new "Sphere" (which is what Sony have called their motion controller, I think) controller.

I like the Wii. The controls are just fine. :)

Hurray for common sense! Sadly, most of the internets don't have that.

The game (Or the art at least) looks amazing and I'm generally a sucker for Disney stuff (cept Hannah Montana and shit of course) so I reckon this is for me. I too hope it's WiiMotion Plus enabled but somehow I doubt it. More games need to use the great functionality it has :(

I like the Wii. The controls are just fine. :)

Hurray for common sense! Sadly, most of the internets don't have that.

The game (Or the art at least) looks amazing and I'm generally a sucker for Disney stuff (cept Hannah Montana and shit of course) so I reckon this is for me. I too hope it's WiiMotion Plus enabled but somehow I doubt it. More games need to use the great functionality it has :(

I think it's very likely that more and more games will have it, it comes bundled in the same box as the console now.

The call-outs for this to be multiformat really piss me off, the gaming community are once again proving they're fucking huge hypocrites (not all obviously), they bitch and moan saying there's nothing on Wii thats exclusive to the console and worth owning, then something comes along that may have potential and they bitch its not on another system... wankers.