passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPods and iPhones

Pikman

Found it. I knew it was in there somewhere, just assumed that was only cd importing (because it says 'When you insert a CD' next to it). Seriously, MS take some shit, but media player is so much easier to use than itunes. The rip options are in a tab at the top of the page called 'rip', and ive just spent ages sorting a couple of albums that have tracks split into multiple albums (because the composer is different for example). On mp you just drag them into the folder you want them to be in, it keeps all the extra detail, it just organises it how you want. I'm not sure I've come across another media player that does that and they all should

I've had a bit of a mishap with my music collection, is there a way to copy my music back off my ipod? I've managed to copy across an album i bought from itunes, but thats it. It also wont find the other thing i bought off itunes (an Eddie Vedder charity single). It finds it on my account, but wont download it again

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no-one's mentioned this, firmware 4.0 got detailed.

Apple has shown off some of the 100 new features to be included in the iPhone operating system later this year.

The update includes a mobile advertising platform called iAd that will be used to place adverts in applications made by third parties.

Apple founder Steve Jobs also showcased a long-awaited multi-tasking feature, which will allow users run more than one program at a time. The feature is already included in many other smartphones.

iAd marks Apple's first foray into a potentially lucrative new market, and pits it directly against Google's search engine advertising model.

Apple will allow external developers to pocket 60% of ad revenue from iAd.

The Apple boss said the iPhone OS 4.0 update will be released first for the iPhone and iPod touch, and then the iPad, later this year.

Some of the other features unveiled at the presentation at Apple's headquarters in California include being able to create specific folders to store third party applications downloaded from iTunes, enhanced mail, which will gather e-mail from multiple accounts into one "unified" inbox and iBooks, which is already on the iPad.

Mr Jobs said mobile users spend more time inside applications than searching the internet.

Therefore it made sense to have adverts within the applications - or apps as they are commonly known.

The multi-tasking will only work for 3GS iPhones and later iPod Touches which is a bummer, but I'm more interested in the folders thing.

Also, they seem to be shafting Plus+ and OpenFeint by making their own social networking service:

Apple has announced plans to launch an Xbox Live-style gaming network for iPhone and iPod Touch, and later, iPad. The network, called Game Center, will be "previewed" with iPhone OS 4.0 this summer.

The network will offer services to familiar to users of Xbox Live, PlayStation Network and Steam: centralised friend tracking, matchmaking, leaderboards and achievements.

The announcement was made at a presentation on OS 4.0 at Apple's California headquarters, reported on by Gamasutra, among others. Game Center will arrive in "preview" form with OS 4.0 in the summer, but no firm release date for the service was given. OS 4.0 will arrive for the iPad in the autumn.

Although no further specifics of Game Center were announced, comments made by Apple's iPhone software chief, Scott Forstall, suggest Apple is unlikely to charge for the service.

"There's no money to be gained or no competitive advantage to be gained from having your own social gaming network," he said. "One of our goals with [Game Center] is to help the viral spread... You can see your friends, your friends can challenge you to a game you don't have and you can immediately download that [game]... And we added gifting in this OS so you can give it to someone you love."

The multi-tasking will only work for 3GS iPhones and later iPod Touches which is a bummer, but I'm more interested in the folders thing.

What multi-tasking? I could do with being able to carry on listening to music when I start a game

Also I'm finding it hard to be pleased that Apple are putting ads in everything

• 2 weeks later...

Left at a bar apparently.

You are looking at Apple's next iPhone. It was found lost in a bar in Redwood City, camouflaged to look like an iPhone 3GS. We got it. We disassembled it. It's the real thing, and here are all the details.

While Apple may tinker with the final packaging and design of the final phone, it's clear that the features in this lost-and-found next-generation iPhone are drastically new and drastically different from what came before. Here's the detailed list of our findings:

What's new

• Front-facing video chat camera

• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)

• Camera flash

• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)

• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x640 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.

• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack

• Split buttons for volume

• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed

• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound

• An aluminum border going completely around the outside

• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)

• Everything is more squared off

• 3 grams heavier

• 16% Larger battery

• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

Videos and pics in the link.

• 7 months later...

it might not be linked at all, but ever since I installed Rage the battery life on my ipod has been shit. It used to last a week being used as my work calculator (I dont use it for music any more). It was fully charged yesterday morning, I used it yesterday in work a bit but not loads, now its half empty.

I've turned it off a couple of times, left it charging over night. Is it just fucked now?

Have you tried deleting Rage? I wouldn't think that would kill your battery but if you suspect it did, might be worth getting rid of it.

I've left mine charging over night quite a lot, the battery's fine so far - I know I shouldn't though.

I thought it might have been causing a memory leak, and that's what was eating my battery. But if it's been turned off then that should have been solved (Rage slaughters my battery while I'm playing though :( )

If it comes to it I'll try a reset, then maybe head to an apple store and see if they can help with it

I really dont want to buy another one any time soon, especially as I might as well fork out for a larger one. But if the battery is dying already, after about 6 months, then I either charge it every day to use it for a few hours in work, or hand apple some more money, money I'd rather keep for a 3DS.

what OS have you got on your ipod? if it's still the old one like mine (3 i think?) it doesn't do multitasking so if you close the game down it's not running so shouldn't affect the battery.

i'm looking forward to some ipod related fun tonight, just installed itunes on my PC (after a complete re-install), logged in and thought i'd just be able to click "Buy" on stuff i'd already paid for and it'd let me redownload it but it seemed to want me to pay for it again - odd. will try and sync with the ipod tonight to see if it pulls all my stuff from that...

I'm using IOS4.1 I think, haven't updated to the latest one. It's dropped even more now, as far as I can tell only the wifi is running and it's been used as a calculator in 1 minute bursts. It's down below a half battery now, slightly above when i posted before.

Oh well, cant afford to buy a new one for a while, so i might just have to buy a 2nd charge cable to keep in work or something

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've found out why my battery has been draining. The last update has activated/ballsed up the location settings. Basically I've done nothing different from last month, but the location thing is now constantly using/searching for wi-fi rather than only when the machine is on.

It's a very well known problem from what I can see on their site, which is disgraceful but also a good thing as it meant it was easy to fix :)

not fixed :( Took the ipod out of its charger last night, not used it, and the battery has already taken a bit of a hit. I've heard a lot of good stuff about apples customer support, but they dont make it easy. Their website basically just tells you to take it to one of their stores, and I dont have faith they wont just advise me to buy a newer more expensive one

• 3 weeks later...

3gs iphone not built that well!!

Ok so proof is in the pudding, i got my 3gs back in may/june, about 3 weeks before the 4 came out, well back in Sept my first 3gs broke, got locked in a reset cycle, off to apple store and got my replacement. At the start of december my 2nd iphone broke as the vibration bit of the phone broke, so i had a replacement this one had a sound fault but both me and the apple expert put it down to software. Being busy over chrimbo i only got the time on monday to update the software on monday but nope still had the sound fault.

Back to the apple store today and they had a prod and flashlight down the iphone holes as usual, yep no water damage, so a new or refurb came out the draw, just plug it in to charge and nothing, the replacement didn't work. So they go me another one, this one the screen was faulty, getting slightly annoyed and almost an hour in the apple store i say jokingly to the apple expert if the next ones faulty i want an iphone 4, he agreed would chase one for me, damn oh damn the next one works fine at the moment.

While i love apple products and love my iphone, i really do but the build quality is almost as bad as the 360's! i mean my old 3g phone which i gave away still works perfectly and thats over 2 years old!!

Hendo, my iphones have all had screen protectors and a case of some sort, all well looked after, never dropped or flung around. Far too expensive pieces of kit to mess around with, but my OH's iphone the abuse it takes is unbelievable, she has dropped it that much the bottom of the phone is cracked and the 2 screws at the base of the phone have come loose and bent in an odd angle, she had a bottle of coke leak in her bag right next to the iphone, dried it out and it works perfectly still, i must just have bad luck with mine or the whites are better made than the black iphone?