passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPods and iPhones

Pikman

I don't know about sending actual texts, but you can log onto MSN, Skype and all that and use them while you're out and about, and email, which if everyone I knew had a smartphone then I wouldn't send texts at all.

Also I use Twitter like texting from time to time. Again, regardless of its reputation as the "I am eating a sandwich!!!!" style of useless blogging, if everyone had a smartphone and used a Twitter app then you would never need to send texts because you can use Twitter instead.

Fair play, I'm on skype all the time I'm awake pretty much, not sure all my friends are but it will help I guess! Deffo be good to have it usable all the time, using it on an N95 is soooo shit.

Its probably that you are popular that you don't need to endlessly text everyone to keep them as friends :)

I think I'm gonna see if 02 can do me a deal with the texts once they have competition... we'll see!

• 1 month later...

yeah i saw that phone a few weeks ago, it does look very nice. Stil, its a long way off yet. iPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhone

3 months apparently.

I'd have got an iPhone today but I really don't wanna be gutted when vodafone bring them out cheap in 2010!

Sounds like they'll drop about £5 a month maybe... not a great deal.

I can get free internet with o2 also, if I swap my 3G dongle with using an iphone instead, might be cool. Work are paying for it so I gotta be sensible :)

Ahhhh, thanks :blush:

I guess we all end up in that situation, I'll be wanting the next gen in 6 months and you'll all be on it already. I'll have to wait another yr! :)

Really excited about it now, I reckon I've done the right thing.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Oliath.

I'm not too bothered about not having the phone part really, as I can use my phone for browsing if I really have to, but I tend not to when out and about. As an actual phone I'm not sure I like the iPhone as much as some others, and almost prefer something like what I already have.

The main reason I was thinking of going for a Touch over an iPhone though, is the cost. My current contract with Orange doesn't finish until April '10. You're looking at £275 for a 32GB iPhone, and then the £34 a month tariff on 18 months. I can get a £19.58 simplicity SIM card from o2 on a rolling 30 day contract (no ties) which has 600 mins, 1200 texts, and unlimited web bolt-on. I'm happy enough with my N85 at the moment so as long as I can get it unlocked then that o2 sim card is a very cheap deal.

The iPod Touch 32GB 3rd gen is £279 RRP I think (or is it actually £229 now? gamestation have them listed at £279), I doubt I could get Gamestation to match Argos price of £229, but it's worth a try I guess, although none of my local Argos stores have the new 32GB in stock at the moment.

I want it mainly to replace my Nano, and for the games and apps. It would be handy to use at home on my network, too.

EDIT: looks like the RRP of the 3rd gen 32GB is £229. I may call Gamestation tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Got me a 3rd Gen iPod Touch 32GB today. :D I ended up getting it from Argos, as they currently have the 32GB 3rd Gen on offer for £199 which I thought was a pretty sweet price. I was hoping to use my Gamestation credit to get one, but I found out yesterday that they won't be stocking any iPods at all any more.

I'm loving it so far, currently trying out a bunch of apps. Already synced all my music, and I'm impressed how smooth everything is.

I just bought one of these sweet looking cases from a US seller, too. They don't seem to be available here, apart from in the iPhone variant with camera hole.

Anyone want a 3rd Gen iPod Nano 8GB in black? The back is a bit scratched (aren't they all?), but apart from that it's a good'un.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my iPod Touch is the best gadget I've bought in a LONG time. :D

I've got a ton of games on it, all my music, podcasts galore. The Touch itself is super slim, being the latest 3rd gen version it has the latest firmware and loads up application in next to no time. I've set it up on my wireless network and use it to browse the web, facebook, checking my email etc when I can't be arsed to switch on the laptop. I :wub: it, a worthy replacement for my Nano.