Sign in to follow this  
CelShadedDreams

Tales of Vesperia

oh that sucks. The skipable cut scenes are the JRPGS best recent innovation.. Seems odd as other namco RPGs have skipables as well. How strange.

Had to cut short my Deadly Premonition time tonight and this caught my eye when i was flicking through my 360 games. Loaded it up and played the first 20 minutes or so. Stunning looking game although the combat seems dodgier than Tales of Phantasia, and that's saying something... Seems like a solid old-fashioned jrpg.

Looking forward to meeting Tits McGee. ;)

It appears that this game has had a reprint, as various online retailers are getting stock in. ShopTo and Zavvi have it for circa £25.

Made me a bit sad seeing CSD and Stoo in this thread, from a time when we where actually a bit diverse.

@Hendo did you ever actually finish this?

Nope!

Gameplay was alright but the cheesy anime style and voice acting made it a tough climb.

On 22/08/2009 at 01:40, Hendo said:

Well, the save system's cack. Getting killed by a boss and then having to go back through a few more fights and wandering all over again each time is not fun.

😅 10 years younger you would hate Dark Souls 

On paper, that’s true but from memory there’s nothing remarkable about the game to keep going like a Souls game.

I just had a look at my 360 disc collection and it appears I no longer own it, otherwise I’d be tempted to boot it up if it was backwards compatible, but my main memory of this is the cheesy voices and acting, and whenever I hear or read the phrase JRPG, I think of this game.

Well I have the Switch version on my shelf this very minute. Might have a shufty later but won't be starting until ive finished ff15.

Definitely gonna be the year of the 'long game' for me.

Gave this a start, and even though I was a bit tired after work I put a solid 2 and a half hours in, which is not like me. I think it was the weird combat that kept me going so long. I sort of needed to get used to it, or at least fathom what I was expected to do.

Got it down to running around in a big circle until my enemy runs out puff, then turning around and giving him the bad news😀.

I'm really liking the combat in this. It's such an unusual system, with combos and recovery times that make every battle a little dance. Not that it's hard and you have to be on your toes all the time, because it isn't (or at at least it isn't yet), but you can definitely make it pleasant on the eye when everything is flowing together.

I'm getting a bit overlevelled in my search for the perfect technique. That's the only problem.