passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tales of Vesperia

CelShadedDreams

• 2 years later...

Had to cut short my Deadly Premonition time tonight and this caught my eye when i was flicking through my 360 games. Loaded it up and played the first 20 minutes or so. Stunning looking game although the combat seems dodgier than Tales of Phantasia, and that's saying something... Seems like a solid old-fashioned jrpg.

Looking forward to meeting Tits McGee. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 6 months later...

On paper, that’s true but from memory there’s nothing remarkable about the game to keep going like a Souls game.

I just had a look at my 360 disc collection and it appears I no longer own it, otherwise I’d be tempted to boot it up if it was backwards compatible, but my main memory of this is the cheesy voices and acting, and whenever I hear or read the phrase JRPG, I think of this game.

Gave this a start, and even though I was a bit tired after work I put a solid 2 and a half hours in, which is not like me. I think it was the weird combat that kept me going so long. I sort of needed to get used to it, or at least fathom what I was expected to do.

Got it down to running around in a big circle until my enemy runs out puff, then turning around and giving him the bad news?.

I'm really liking the combat in this. It's such an unusual system, with combos and recovery times that make every battle a little dance. Not that it's hard and you have to be on your toes all the time, because it isn't (or at at least it isn't yet), but you can definitely make it pleasant on the eye when everything is flowing together.

I'm getting a bit overlevelled in my search for the perfect technique. That's the only problem.

Well I'm 14 hours in and my Yuri is starting to look a bit like Dante on the battlefield. One of his artes is a direct homage to the Swordmaster spinning sword technique. And I love it.

Combos with all these artes give this Jrpg a really original feel, although enemy reaction to the hits is a bit stilted, but it's not bad, considering.

I'm still not quite getting that sense of magic or spectacle you can sometimes get with best of the genre. But I feel it's within reach. There is a fella riding around on a dragon causing grief at the moment, so that's a start.

Got myself to a nice point in this story to take a break for Resi 2. Yuri has achieved his initial objective and the game has offered a special save, as though a pivotal moment has been reached. 

Did a momentous boss fight on the top of a giant clockwork tower to round this off and I've gathered a host of characters and allies. Yeah, it's a pretty good game. It's showing its age a little bit in the presentation but enjoyable and relaxing, as these games often are. 

I'll just save the world from a zombie apocalypse, and then I'll get back to it.

• 1 year later...

Decided to start this again even though I had a reasonably advanced save. And I must admit I'm enjoying it a lot more the second time around. Delving into the  deep battle system is a joy, and I made the decision to get stuck into the nuances of combat rather than keeping it simple and just bluffing my way thru, like last time. Chaining Arte's and bursts fills the screen with fireworks and beautiful  glowing glyphs, and u can set up your team to perform in a generally predictable manner, with a (very) light tactics page. It's not gambits or anything like that, though.

Yuri and the team are pretty much a mix of innocents and piss takers, bickering their way thru their adventure with a huge amount of chat and bluster, and a massive cast of energetically oddball side characters. 

What's slightly strange is the slow burn on the story. No world saviour from the slums here. After 10 hours I'm still not all that sure where the threat is coming from here. It's bubbling up, though.

I should complete this at some point as well. I stopped after losing to a boss two or three times towards the end which kind of annoyed me because the game was rather easy up to that segment. It's a bit of a weird game overall, the best thing is probably the Yuri x Judith duo since he has a refreshing no-nonsense attitude for a JRPG hero (imagine FFXII with Balthier as the lead. Oh...) and she's a straight up eco-terrorist which feels very 2020 despite the game being a few years old. The overall plot and how it's told is really messy though.

There's a boss near the beginning that kills, too - well before u get any decent artes. 

If you've taken a long break it might be hard to get up to speed on the battle system. There's a lot to it. Although turning it down to easy to see the end of the story is an option, unusually for an older Jrpg.

Is it really that deep though? From what I remember you just need to find an enemy to flank so that nobody knocks you out of your combo and then you do some standard attacks, cancel the last one into a special move and repeat. And if your special bar is full you can cancel into a Super of some sort.

I know there are some mechanics that allow for 500 hit combos or something but I doubt the game ever asks you to do that kind of thing.