passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

360, 2 red lightss

RivaOni

Was playing FIFA 09 earlier today when two red lights started flashing and it switched itself off, tried to play again just now (both times was beating Spurs 3-0, not got to finish the match either time :( ) and it did it again.

IMGP5147.jpg

Any idea what this one is? I read it might be overheating (fair enough, its quite near to my PC too, and its blisteringly hot today).

My other concern is that it has the date 2006 - 08 - 02. Am I reading that right as 2nd August 2006 or is it Feb?

That picture isn't the right way round is it? I found a MS support page but their example is two different segments lit up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907533

CAUSE

The Xbox console is overheated.

THINGS TO TRY

Let your Xbox 360 console cool. You may have to wait several hours for your cons...

1. Let your Xbox 360 console cool. You may have to wait several hours for your console to cool enough. Don't turn on your Xbox 360 console when the console is hot.

2. Verify that your Xbox 360 console has enough ventilation and that the fans are operating. For more information about ventilation, see the "More Information" section.

3. If the two lights continue to flash red after you try steps 1 and 2, contact Xbox Customer Support.

Also found this:

What Do the 2 Red Lights Mean?

The 2 red light error is indicated by the two left lights (in vertical alignment) on the Ring of Light turning red and flashing repeatedly. This is a specific error code, with a known cause. In fact, this is one of the few instances when Microsoft's documentation will actually tell you what is wrong. The 2 red light error is due to overheating. Most of the Xbox's errors can be trace to overheating problems, but this instance is one of the only cases where you can be certain, immediately.

What's Going On?

The Xbox is capable of producing enormous amounts of heat. However, Microsoft's unconventional design has increased the console's propensity to create system-damaging heat. In addition, the use of inferior thermal compound, a lacking heat sink mounting method and heat sinks of insufficient size for heat dissipation also add to the problem. To top the entire situation off, the lead-free solder used to hold the GPU, CPU and RAM into the motherboard is the incorrect type for the situation. This type of solder is incapable of sustaining the type of heat levels generated by normal console operation. This leads to hairline fractures in the solder.

As the heat generated by the console increases, the motherboard flexes, as with any other device, such as a computer. This flexing forces the cracks in the solder apart, disrupting the flow of electricity. In extreme cases, the GPU or CPU can actually be pushed out of the mounting in the motherboard.

Additional Heat Problems

While the abovementioned conditions contribute to the 3 red light error and the 1 red light error, the 2 red light error can have other causes, as well. As mentioned, the Xbox creates tremendous amounts of heat. If the ventilation of the system is blocked, the console is placed on top of another device that generates heat or any one of a number of other criteria is met, the Xbox can overheat.

How Do I Stop It?

Before you contemplate removing the case and servicing the Xbox on your own, there are a number of remedies that should be attempted. For instance, ensure that:

* The cooling fan is operating

* That the light on the power supply is green, not red or orange

* That none of the ventilation panels are blocked

* That the Xbox is resting on a hard surface, not a soft cloth surface

* That the Xbox is not placed near any source of heat

* That the Xbox is placed in an open location, not confined to a small space

A Warning about Hoax Solutions

The high incidence of overheating consoles has lead to a number of radical remedies. Many of these hold the potential for benefit. However, some of these remedies can damage your console further. For instance, any remedy that states you should cool your console in the freezer or refrigerator should be avoided. These methods can damage the Xbox beyond repair.

A Note about Warranty

If you have a warranty on your Xbox 360, it is highly recommended that you use it. Return the console to Microsoft for repair or replacement. This will help you save money, as well as keep the warranty intact. Removing the case of your Xbox voids the warranty completely.

Can I Repair the Xbox?

If you do not have a warranty, or have chosen to void your warranty, you can repair your Xbox at home. The best option for a long-lived repair solution is to replace the thermal protective compound applied to the GPU and CPU chips. To do this, you will need to remove the hard drive and all peripherals. Next, you will need to remove the case, followed by the X-Clamps holding the heat sinks in place (the motherboard must be out of the case for this). Clean the thermal compound residue from the underside of the heat sinks, as well as from the top of the GPU and CPU chip. Replace the old compound with the correct thermal protective compound. Finally, you may consider modifying the X-clamp method to help dissipate heat more evenly. Reassemble the Xbox and you should have a functional console.

The 360 is laying on its side.

How Do I Stop It?

Before you contemplate removing the case and servicing the Xbox on your own, there are a number of remedies that should be attempted. For instance, ensure that:

1* The cooling fan is operating

2* That the light on the power supply is green, not red or orange

3* That none of the ventilation panels are blocked

4* That the Xbox is resting on a hard surface, not a soft cloth surface

5* That the Xbox is not placed near any source of heat

6* That the Xbox is placed in an open location, not confined to a small space

1* fan is fine

2* Didn't check that, its currently unplugged and sitting on the floor next to me.

3* No vent panels or holes were blocked

4* Yup it was on a hard surface, a shelf on my computer desk

5* My PC and modem are nearby, about a fist in distance away from the "bottom" (opposite end to the HDD) vent

6* Space may admittedly be a bit small, not entirely sure.

when i recently moved my 360 up stairs, i had it on the desk under a low shelf (hard to explain) but it was a really confined space and it did the two ring thing. I shuffled it about and it was ok for a few weeks.

However now its RROD'd...

Just checked the power supply, its orange (when the 360 is off) but green when its on,s o that all seems fine.

I've also moved it to on top of my desk as well, rather than the shelf below the keyboard.