passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Uncharted movie in development

Hendo

I'm not mad about the film sucking, I was never going to watch it. It's just the attitude of the film critic. There's a couple more excerpts from critics like that in there as well. What pricks. Games > films any day, my guy 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on Saturday night and pleased to report it's very good!

Tom Holland is great as Drake and Mark Wahlberg is surprisingly good as Sully. It takes a little bit of getting used to seeing them play these iconic characters and the films interpretation of the characters is a little different, which you need to get used to but after the first 10 minutes or so I just kind of forgot. I really like Tom as an actor and here he does really well, he plays a younger Nate in this than the games but with plenty of charm and enthusiasm, a lot of his mannerisms and character traits are spot on for Nate. Wahlberg plays Sully with a little more of a blank slate at the beginning, only revealing more of his personality and what he's about as the film goes on and he can trust Nate more. 

Some really great action sequences in here. Obviously the one most folks have seen in the trailers which is a reinterpretation of the U3 plane sequence but there's a wholly original one right at the end which is really great. 

I was actually surprised how much it delves into the finding of ancient artefacts, following ancient diaries and all that kind of stuff, it actually makes up the bulk of the film with the action sequences largely book-ending it. 

It's maybe a bit long, the CGI questionable at times, the ending a little abrupt and there is definitely a lull in the middle that could've done with one more action sequence in my view but it's a big win overall, especially for a game adaption.

I think in that regard it's probably the best game adaption, definitely one of the best for sure. 

I love the Uncharted game, but from never wanted a movie adaption, if there any games that dont need a film made from them its Naughtdogs Games.

That being said I do think TLoU could work well as the series that is being made, though still wouldnt expect it to be super faithful.

I dislike Mark Walberg as an actor, he really plays the same character in everyfilm, and to me every trailer I have seen for this just look sub par,

I dont intend to watch it anytime soon.

Also agree with the above original MK film is best movie adaption ever, would have been perfect with gore.

• 8 months later...

Watched it, and it was okay - albeit I had more fun recently watching "River Cruise" and "Lost City", which offer similar treasure hunt stories, but with a bit more humour.

I don't really understand why they bother to make movies of a game franchise but then make fundamental changes to story/casting - so it has a passing similarity to the game, but not a whole lot more (e.g. RE and TR movies especially).

Not quite sure if Nathan Drake even picked up a gun in the entire movie - so nowhere near the killathon of the games - guess this is just an 'early years' film given relative ages of him & Sully - so maybe in the sequels...?

Sure it gets some box office traction from the brand name, but ultimately pisses off most of the gaming fans, who just want a movie adaptation of the game (not some directors vision / own take on it all).