passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

illdog

This has the potential to be the most amazing game in the world, unfortunately its 3D rep proceeds itself so my expectations are low. Trailer is silky smooth tho...

Couldnt listen to it but visually impressive, looks a little DMC/PoP. The name dropping is annoying, does that pop up when the actors are doin voice overs or summink?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they're giving a little speech each from their character. Must be Konami trying to get their money's worth - "Look! We've got Patrick Stewart!".

I think a PoP/God of War/Devil May Cry reskin could work for a Castlevania. I'd still like to see what they could do with a HD 2.5D downloadable game though.

I always thought that DMC was close to what a 3D Castlevania should be. While it won't be original it might still be good.

There is alot of competition though, God of War 3, Bayonette and the also potentially good Darksiders. It'll have it's work cut out to stand out.

if its a brilliant DMC clone then ill buy it, good games are good games fo shizzle. but itd be so much better if they could set it apart from dmc, id quite like them to make a dark and scary 3d castlevania myself - when i was a kid CV4 on the snes was spooky to me, a feeling ive never had since from a cv game as 3d came out (i grew up too) and my brain stopped having to fill in the blanks

I'll almost certainly buy it, the trailer is brilliant and probably my highlight of E3. That said I havent bought the wii fighter yet, and I know the two aren't really comparable, but I feel like I owe it to illdog and vania fans around the world.

that would fucking kick ass, going around a dark twisted konami interpretation of transylvania (or wherever drac lives in the konami world) taking quests from villagers to protect them from monsters and fighting roaming ghouls in the wastes.. and ultimately putting a reincarnated dracula back in the ground of course. i imagine the world would look like the one in trapdoor lol, as weird as that sounds but that place was freaky.

but the chances of konami making a western style rpg, and nailing it to fallout 3 levels of quality first time at that, are slim to none! i was thinkng more of a survival horror vibe, with real scares and suspense. that 'got to find a save room to replenish my health or im done for' feeling that cv games still have now should translate well to that. i can just imagine the dark, bleak world full of monsters and traps itd be similar in some ways to the original alone in the dark or something, brillo! obviously theyd have to work in more action than your average s.horror but not so much that it just becomes re4

I dunno, i dont think survival horror would suit Castlevania, the horrors have always been obvious and in your face. Survival horror is about subtletly and the scare, i always imagine a slow pace for these kind of game. Castlevania is one man taking on the underworld with a whip.

I want an action game, fast pace, incredible graphics and amazing set peices. I want my jaw on the floor and when its done i want to be crying for more. Konami can make a game like this.

konami sure can. but also i think they could do what i said i think and keep the CV spirit, itd just have to be very well balanced with one-man-vs-the-underworld action and suspense/exploration/freakiness.. personally i cant think of any other way to make a 3d cv that stands apart

• 11 months later...

Make Castlevania mainstream, orders Konami

Castlevania reboot Lords of Shadows needs to be more mainstream in order to appeal to a Western audience, claims Konami Japan.

Speaking the CVG in London recently, Konami's head of product planning, Dave Cox - who has a very shiny business card - revealed that Japan's brief for Lords of Shadow was "make it more mainstream".

"There was a desire in the company to make the game more mainstream and I think at that point we were thinking it needs to appeal to Western audiences outside of Japan, He said.

"Castlevania had a quite Japan-centric look and feel to it and was appealing to a very small audience of people - it wasn't breaking out there. Japan's brief to us was to make it more mainstream, make it more Western, which is what we did."

Of course developer MercurySteam ironically turned to MGS man Hideo Kojima to help make the series more Western. Bizarrely, one of Hideo's suggestions was to, erm, make the lead character less muscle-bound.

"He kind of said that the story is quite moving and in order to convey that and get people to believe in that character he needs to be much more of an every man - someone people can identify with and not this muscle head type character," said Cox.

Perhaps Kojima's next suggestion was to add in a J Pop soundtrack?

Good or bad idea?

For the style they're going for I think it is a good idea. The main guy looks a bit like Aragon from Lord of the Rings, so why not match the build of that type of character in that kind of setting. It's not exactly gears thematically is it

Dave Cox - Fuck Kojima.

Hideo Kojima acts as advisor for Konami's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - but developer MercurySteam doesn't always use his feedback.

That's according to Konami's head of product planning, Dave Cox, who told CVG that the developer did however listen to the Metal Gear man's feedback on character design.

"Kojima's role is much more an advisory role than anything," Cox told CVG in London recently. "We send him builds every month, he sends us feedback and we implement some of that. Sometimes we don't implement the feedback depending on if we agree or not.

"As for direct involvement, he's been instrumental with the look of Gabrielle himself because originally the character was a much more oldschool, barbarian type character," he added.

"He kind of said that the story is quite moving and in order to convey that and get people to believe in that character he needs to be much more of an every man - someone people can identify with and not this muscle head type character.

"He was like, 'you need to work on Gabrielle' and we were like, 'oh really?' Because we thought he looked alright. But in the end he was right because as we refined Gabrielle it helped the story along because he feels like more of a real person. There's a lot of Robert Carlyle in Gabrielle actually if you look at his face."

Why would they listen to Kojima? What does he know? I suppose if the game wants to be more mainstream (therefore less Castlevania) then they want to avoid any input that would make it traditional. I hope they arent going to fuck this up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Release date and DLC confirmed

Konami has stamped the latest iteration of the Castlevania series, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, with a release date. You'll be slaying the undead with your beloved Vampire Killer on October 5th (if you reside in North America) or October 8th (if you live in Europe).

Also, the producer of Lords of Shadow, David Cox, has confirmed that there will be two packs of DLC planned for the game, featuring "new areas to explore and enemies to slay". But don't worry! He went on to confirm that the game "has a definite ending" that will not be changed by DLC, ala Fallout 3.

Squeeee!

Ok, i shant go on about it but the first Castlevania on the PS2 (subtitled Lament of Innocence overseas) was brilliant once you started discovering the secrets but i'll leave it there.

Is Lords of Shadow going to be a day 1 purchase for anyone else?