passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

This season of Better call Saul has been fucking amazing. 

The last two episodes were genuinely some of the best TV I’ve ever seen.

After really enjoying the first episode of S3 Westworld the second and 3rd episodes have bored me so I won’t really be rushing back to watch anymore anytime soon.

A few series watched over the last few weeks:

Eastbound and Down - Danny McBride as a fading baseball player trying to get his life back in order after falling from the big leagues. Its a very crude comedy, with McBride trying to hang on to his alpha male status as his life falls apart - pretty funny in places, and notable guest appearances from Will Ferrell and Matthew McConageahy.

Parks & Recreation - it's taken a couple of years to wade through 120+ episodes, and quite hit & miss at times. For me it went a bit off the boil at the end when Ann & Chris left, and the whole town merger thing wasn't great, but eventually saw it limp over the line with a bizarre "in the future" Leslie & Ron conflict in final series and to the wrap.

Fabulous Gemstones - Another Danny McBride series, this time also with John Goodman and the guy who was Bumper in Pitch Perfect. Comedic parody of US evangelism, this was pretty great, just one 9 episode series so far.

I've started watching Gotham since I'm a bit in DC/Batman mood. The first thing I did after watching four episodes was googling if it gets any better. Apparently it does, which is good. Unfortunately that still leaves me with 18 episodes to finish Season 1 first. Ugh.

Honestly can't believe how this got renewed back when it first came out. Dialogue is straight up awful and Gordon is such un unlikeable person – Jim Gordon for Christ's sake, the only nice dude in all of Gotham and they cast some stone-faced weirdo who's dead inside to play. There's a lot of weird casting choices here to be honest – Alfred also comes to mind – but he sticks out like a sore thumb.

At least Penguin is solid. And kid Catwoman is an interesting spin on the character. I hope those two can carry me to Season 2 which is supposedly where it picks off.

Gotham - I bailed out after series 2, partly because I didn't really enjoy much of the Galavan storyline, and partly because whoever was showing it in the UK (Ch 5) lost the rights/had a huge delay for S3. 

Now I've been told that people who stuck with it really enjoyed S3 and beyond.

I think I gave up a little into series 2. Penguin was the highlight and their take on Riddler had potential, but I lost interest pretty quick. Then again, I think that was roughly the same amount of time I watched The Flash also. Before the formula started to grate.

Flash, like most CW stuff, at least has charismatic actors. The show might be superficial and "fake" for lack of a better term but I didn't want to strangle the protagonist whenever he turned up.

I'll see where it goes with Gotham. It's still good enough for those moments in the day where you're too tired or exhausted to watch/play something that is really worth your time.

I've been getting back into American Horror Story recently, just finished up the Freak Show series, which seemed to be more than a little of a metaphor for being gay.

For all of its at times bad acting, on the nose script and delivery and general B-movie cheapness, I really enjoy it and sometimes the acting shines through. The woman with Down's is especially good.

AHS - I enjoyed Coven the most, but as @Nag I only watched a couple of Hotel, wasn't keen, then all watched Roanoke which was okay, then the opening episode of the 'Election' one, didn't like it either, but haven't seen the most recent ones, which I hear have been better.

On 06/03/2020 at 13:47, Maryokutai said:

Hugh Jackman and Kaitlyn Dever and, voilà, done.

I know quoting oneself is a bit dumb but I just stumbled upon this – turns out Dever actually likes The Last of Us and would love to play Ellie. Wonder how this whole thing's going to turn out, if it ever will.

DEVS - 8 episode miniseries currently showing on BBC2, from Alex Garland and starting Nick Offerman.

I'm 3 episodes in, and it's great, won't say too much to avoid spoilers, but their is an appearance of Dark Souls (3?) in the second episode, and a certain feeling of the animus about it too.

Watched it on iPlayer. Devs is just great. Watch it everyone. I urge you.

Also watching Gangs Of London, which is a Sky thing. It's by Gareth Evans who did the Raid, and it's good. There's a murderous London pub brawl early on and it's got all the Evans' hallmarks.

• 2 weeks later...

That would actually have been a cool idea/compromise if it didn't look so awful.

Also, personal anecdote: While I was still in film school and doing my first ever music video, I had to do the same thing. We planned to film something in a cinema but the owner dropped out at the last minute so I made a really basic and shitty 2D animation instead. So I can kind of feel their pain.

Just binged the new Sky One comedy Code 404.

Top London copper DI John Major (Daniel Mays) is gunned down in the line of duty - and brought back to life with new human organs and computer chips in his brain. That is tough on his partner Carver (Stephen Graham) who is having an affair with Major's wife Kelly (Anna Maxwell-Martin).

Although it is vaguely sci-fi in premise they sensibly didn't overdo the tech part. Plenty of laughs and a neat twist at the end.