passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

He was still ugly to look at. Even with the mask on you could tell he was repulsive. I know that’s part of his character that he is supposed to be this loner, prepper type. But I still hated having to watch him. 

12 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I think the idea that Watchmen was one of the best series of television ever is laughable, it's not even the best series of the last few weeks, but it did pick up, the last few episodes were really good

I think the idea that Watchmen S1 isn’t one of the best seasons of TV ever is laughable myself.

The acting, script, cinematography and how everything all comes together at the end, how all the questions we have at the beginning are answered in a satisfying conclusion are just perfect and couldn’t in my mind have been done any better if they tried. It is the perfect sequel to the Graphic Novel and perfectly encapsulates the feeling, thoughts and motivations of its characters and properly understands them.

Did you miss the episode set in NYC @Maf

I don't always agree with @blakey 's enthusiasm for things, uplifting as he is, but I totally agree with him here.

At the end of the day arguing about art, music, film is like arguing about you're favourite colour and which is best.

I think Watchmen was one of the best produced, engaging and we'll crafted shows I've seen in a good long while. And it's fine if people don't like it. 

But I'm interested to know which are the better shows of the last few weeks - I'm interested in checking them out @dangerman

I find it strange though that people seem to justify their dislike by focusing on reductive, constituent parts. It's a bit like saying you don't like a car because you hate the spare tire. You can reduce anything by so much that it becomes a meaningless debate and ultimately discards and ignores the very thing being discussed.

Really, if you don't like something just stop watching, instead of hating it.

Speaking of dropping things you aren't enjoying, is anyone here still watching His Dark Materials? I've been trying to read on how it's going but it gets little coverage in the media.

I know season 2 is already filmed apparently, so a Subtle Knife adaptation is definitely happening. But I wonder if it has legs beyond that.

I was really looking forward to it but because, as commented, earlier it just didn't click so we abandoned it after the first episode.

I also watched BBC's War of the Worlds, again with high hopes, especially as it was set in the right time period. But again it was just lacklustre and a let-down.

Missed opportunities

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Speaking of dropping things you aren't enjoying, is anyone here still watching His Dark Materials? I've been trying to read on how it's going but it gets little coverage in the media.

I know season 2 is already filmed apparently, so a Subtle Knife adaptation is definitely happening. But I wonder if it has legs beyond that.

I really liked the first two episodes and stuck with it despite it not really holding my attention after Episode 3 but it's still not amazing really. There have been a few cool episodes since I've stuck with it and I love Lin-Manuel Miranda's character but it has only been ok. It's just a bit twee, rushed and poorly acted to be up there with the best TV out there. Watching it after Watchmen like we have been on a Monday night does it no favours either as one is a fine French wine and the other is Lambrini. 

I do love Mr Robot and the final series is queued for as soon as I can jump in.

It's another example of a brilliant, but very different, show that probably equally divides opinion.

I don't think I'd even consider trying to compare them, just say watch (and hopefully enjoy) both!

16 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Judging from all the praise Watchmen is getting, reckon I need to check it out. Just put the first episode onto my Prime account, shall give it a go this morning.

I didn't know the show was out yet, just got the movie on bluray, the final cut

Just worked my way through the Witcher.  It's pretty good.  But that's coming from someone who played just over 5 hours of Witcher 3 and never read the books so theres that. 

A wish it communicated the moment in time better as it jumps around decades without anyone or anything looking different so that makes it much harder to follow than it needs to be but other than that performances are fitting and it's generally entertaining. 

And I wasn't expecting Cavil to do such a good impression of the voice actor from the game. 

Mr Robot has finished with 2 final episodes. It's the sort of ending that might sound a bit shit on paper but it works really well. It's the rare thing of a good ending to a TV show. Really good performances and brilliantly shot, bar one episode this final series has been outstanding