passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

I think what it seems to lack so far is a good idea of Lyra's internal life, which is what the book was mainly about. Growing pains of adolescence and the 'daemons' are like the second perspective on that. That's what I remember being good about the books, I think. It didn't come across so much in this pilot, I thought. Felt more like lore dump and the lore isn't necessarily that interesting being quite honest.

Not just the book, @one-armed dwarf - the whole series. Remember...

Spoiler

Lyra and Will's sexual awakening in the third book?

I think the lore dump is kind of necessary for the first episode with this world, and they'll probably explore exactly what daemons are within the next few episodes. I can see the next couple exploring the main themes a little more in general, instead of throwing all these sets of characters at you. Bringing Mrs. Coulter into it so early was perfect too - it would have felt plodding if they'd explored Lyra's character in Oxford more before sending her off.

Watchmen Episode 3 was brilliant I thought. Possibly the best yet, I just absolutely loved Laurie's character, she's just such a sassy badass that doesn't give a fuck that I found her incredibly charming and just so damn watchable throughout. 

I like how it took the perspective away from Tulsa and focused back on the wider US, with key individuals then descending into Tulsa to find out exactly what's going on there and why. 

Also loved His Dark Materials Episode 1. The acting is a little hokey and it's sometimes a bit twee overall for me - I also prefer dark fantasy rather than family fantasy - but the world building is impressive and just very cool. The first episode sets the scene perfectly for what this world is, what's been going on, who are the haves and the have-not's with plenty of mysteries and suspicions still kept under wraps. After the episode was over the BBC - in their infinite wisdom - decided to do a montage teaser for the whole season ahead which gave a lot of stuff away ? but I'm trying to expunge it from my brain in time for the next episode. I've never read the books though so I've no idea how faithful it is to those.  

My feelings on the lore of HDM has always that it's been sort of a weird hodge podge of strange magic and religious elements thrown together into a weird version of our world. I never really liked that stuff much tbh even when I was young, but the part I did like was how it got across why it's a very dangerous world for children. At least, I think i liked that stuff but I kind of cringed everytime someone mentioned 'Gobblers' in this.

Like I don't remember the specifics about Dust and all that and it seemed like they were trying to tell people more about that stuff at the very beginning here, I think. But even though it's fantasy it's using a lot of stuff as an analogue for stuff in our world that is very not twee or family and is actually kind of horrible. Or at least that's what I remember. I don't really plan on re-reading these books tbh because I'd fear I'd be disappointed by them now.

But it's the only young adult literature I've ever really liked. Cause it feels tumultuous not just cause of witches and weird magic shit and evil Voldermort but cause the danger is a much more tangible thing that could happen in our world. I mean, parts of it anyway. I still don't remember part 3 very well but it's much more dumb as I recall. Again, all I remember are roly poly elephants.

But part of the reason I wouldn't like to re-read them is it feels very primed at readers who are undergoing the same journey Lyra is, that awkward transition period. At this point I'd be more inclined maybe to read that new book 

Spoiler

where she's an adult

than go back and see what I think of the old ones now.

It also I think doesn't matter that I think the lore is a bit dumb, 

Spoiler

cause they just go to a different world in the sequels anyway

State of the Union

10x 10min episodes written by Nick Hornby, directed by Stephen Frears and starring Rosamund Pike and Chris O'Dowd, as a couple who meet in the pub each week discussing their marital issues before ending each episode by heading off to their counselling session.

A really well done light comedy series about relationships - first shown on BBC2 but likely to be on iPlayer too.

It doesn't get talked about a lot but Mr Robot has done some really clever episodes over its run. The sitcom episode was shit, but the office episode was outstanding, and the most recent, near silent episode was really well done. 

There's been one moment this series that seemed too stupid, the rest has been great, it seems to be ending well 

HDM Ep 2

The relationship between Lyra & Mrs C wasn't well developed, IIRC from the books Lyra really liked her and it was Pan that added the doubt. Yes, that was there in the episode, but was a bit too rushed through. Likewise, I don't think they've really explained the whole Daemon thing that well.  It was a massive point that Mrs C could be detached from hers (again it was mentioned, just lost its significance) and also the fight between Daemons and affect it had on Lyra (noting that non readers wouldn't perhaps appreciate the difference between Daemons and let's say the familiars in Harry Potter - they are hugely different and this is so significant to the story in HDM).

It was enjoyable, but could be better.

Loved His Dark Materials Episode 2 personally, I haven't read the books though.

I really like the way Ruth Wilson has played Mrs Crowther(?) so far. Quietly mysterious and arrogant in the first episode but now we know she's quite maniacal, conniving and brutal behind the facade.

As soon as Lyra found the

Spoiler

'Global Obleration Board' I said to my Missus 'she's the head of the Gobbler's!' and

I was proved right later on in the episode. 

I've read the book and watched the film a few times, I think it's just not very good. If you liked Lost then sure, but like with most things, there's only so long you can tease before it loses all effect. There's some good characters, the soundtrack is interesting, but it's all layered with an opaque smear of bullshit. 

Hopefully it gets as the series goes on but it speaks volumes that I watched Walking Dead over it last night 

• 4 weeks later...

Tv is probably the reason to get Nowtv tbf. I've got the film sub at the minute and it's shit, but if you've not had it before Nowtv will have all the HBO stuff to watch 

The quality is shit though, Amazon and Netflix offer a better service even if the selection isn't as good 

On that note, Watchmen is good now, I've enjoyed the last few episodes after a slow start.

Spoiler

I don't understand how Jon met Angela though. Maybe you aren't meant to think about it, but he goes to meet her deliberately, it's not a chance encounter where he knows he'll eventually fall in love with her, he's there because he already loves her.

Mr Robot has been fantastic this series, last night's episode was probably the weakest of the series. It wasn't bad, just dull, and it feels like they're ticking off characters before the series ends