passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

19 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Really enjoyed The Boys. I kind of wish it had gone darker though, there's violence but beyond that it only skims the surface on a lot of stuff. I get it, it's a TV show but it ended up feeling a bit tame 

Yeah, I thought that would be the case, when this was first announced. I watched a couple of them and tapped out. For all those that champion adaptations that differ from the source material, such as this, TWD, Preacher etc If you're going to dilute that adaptation to the point the tone is lost, there is little merit or value in even making it.

I really enjoyed The Boys. Though it played out totally differently to the comics, I didn’t have an issue with that. No Terror though? Epic fail.

I haven’t watched Preacher, as that is my favourite comic series of all time, and I don’t see how it would work at all as a show. Maybe I’ll give it a chance at some point.

1 hour ago, AndyKurosaki said:

I haven’t watched Preacher, as that is my favourite comic series of all time, and I don’t see how it would work at all as a show. Maybe I’ll give it a chance at some point.

It's fine, but no where near the comics. The first series (which was decent) covers the first 4 pages of the comic. The second series was good, never got around to the third.

The most recent series of Preacher is decent enough, there's only 1 funny episode though, and the narrative felt like it was treading water a bit 

One more thing with The Boys 

Spoiler

I think a good rule of thumb, if the protagonist and antagonist don't meet up regularly, then you should keep them apart for as long as possible. 

Unless Homelander just kills Butcher episode 1 of series 2 then I think they might have a problem after that 

Preacher was a travesty. I get and don't mind that TV changes the story and takes liberties, but the core characters were totally at odds with those in the comic books. Their behaviour, attitudes and plain dumbness was just jarring. At heart the love story with Tulip which is a backbone of the story was missing. We just got an idiot feisty female hot head and an idiot hot headed Preacher. The comics have angry violent lead characters but they've also got loyalty, betrayal, love and belief. The TV show just feels flat and empty despite some nice touches. I gave up.

They've not ditched the love story, just made it stupid and meaningless. While in the comics it's the central core of everything else they do. In the show they could almost get by without there being a need for Tulip, her character is so pointless.

That’s not true she’s the best character in it :( she kicks ass. I don’t know or care to know about the differences to the comic but as a stand alone show she’d be missed and it would be much worse had it only been preacher and vamp fella. 

You leave Ruth alone!

@smallofbooty it's the actors name. For what it's worth, I thought Tulip was the best character in S1 and S2 and the dynamic between her and Jesse worked well. I might try and watch S3, especially if they are getting a 4th season (I sort of assumed they wouldn't as no one seems to watch it).

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/06/amazon-truth-seekers-simon-pegg-nick-frost/

The next team-up between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost will take place online. Amazon has snapped up the rights to Truth Seekers, a "comedy-horror" Prime Video series about paranormal investigators who unearth a conspiracy that threatens humanity. Frost will play one half of the investigative duo, while Pegg is playing a currently mysterious character Dave. It's the first episodic project from the two stars' production company Stolen Picture, and they'll co-write the series alongside veterans Nat Saunders and James Serafinowicz.

• 1 month later...

I watched all of Joe Pera Talks With You on All4 last night. There are 9 episodes in all, around 10 minutes each. It's so slow and soothing, it's got a quirky indie vibe to it. I love it.

Also, it had a cameo from the guy from American Movie (amazing film), which ended up with me buying American Movie on Amazon Prime.

On 14/09/2019 at 10:55, Craymen Edge said:

I watched all of Joe Pera Talks With You on All4 last night. There are 9 episodes in all, around 10 minutes each. It's so slow and soothing, it's got a quirky indie vibe to it. I love it.

Also, it had a cameo from the guy from American Movie (amazing film), which ended up with me buying American Movie on Amazon Prime.

That looks great. Will watch. And yes American Movie is great. Have you seen Kung Fu Elliot?

I've started watching The Terror, it's a strange one. It's really well acted, a who's who of British character actors, but it has a strange feel to it. The tone is that something malevolent and supernatural is going on, but so far things have been quite mundane. Not that nothing has happened, a lot has happened, but it feels a bit underwhelming. Despite that I'm enjoying it a lot