passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

I think Rings of Power has been good so far, it's cool seeing a "young" Galadriel and I think they've done a really good job with her character and building out the history of Middle Earth that's only been mentioned in appendices previously (IIRC Amazon don't have the rights to the other published books so can't use those).

I was thinking about this last night, its a shame that Peter Jackson/Fran Walsh/Weta aren't involved, as it seems now they are as intrinsic to Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth as Tolkiens original text is. They really established the visual template and language for the world which this show continues to follow, and to do that without their involvement or even acknowledgement seems a bit sad. I know Tolkien's estate is not a fan of the film adaptations and they're involved with the production of this show, but without the original films you wouldn't have this show getting made either. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to get at really, just rambling.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Peter Jackson/Fran Walsh/Weta aren't involved, as it seems now they are as intrinsic to Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth as Tolkiens original text is.

I saw Weta Workshop mentioned in the credits, so I presume they still did some/all of the costumes in the series, it's filmed in NZ too still so would make sense. Not sure if they did the CGI too though.

6 minutes ago, mmmark said:

That random company owns the rights to lotr now don’t they? Embracer.

Yeah believe so.

I need to actually sit down and actually finish the episodes that are out, for me tho I'm glad to see others doing stuff with LOTR even if it is fairly slavishly following the visual template of PJ (baddy design and all)

But ye from what I remember reading it's cause the estate don't want PJ working on it as they consider the films a 'desecration' or something like that. People will see that as being snobby and I guess it is but when Chris Tolkien was alive he was a great steward of his father's legacy so I don't think you can hate the dude for being so 'precious' about the world his Dad and him created. Also it's an opportunity to see LOTR a different way maybe rather than chasing the original trilogy hype like Hobbit tried to do (tho again it still looks like the films, especially The Hobbit)

On 05/09/2022 at 05:55, mmmark said:

I’ve actually never heard of that but it has great reviews. Is it a solid recommendation?

Yes definitely, season 1 was great, season 2 was a nice slowburn beginning with a really fun 2nd half, and season 3 I'm really enjoying on the same level as season 1

Watching Mythic Quest, a show by Rob McElhenny, Charlie Day and Megan Ganz about a studio making an MMO which conveniently looks like a bunch of Ubisoft games (Ubisoft are involved in the making of the show). Rob plays the lead, who is basically Mac from Always Sunny

I found it pretty smarmy tbh, the first season anyway. Fairly predictable and broad humour with storylines you've seen before that relies on lots of cliches in a genre of comedy that's pretty overcrowded right now. But then it did this quarantine episode which was excellent in a really surprising way given the constraints the pandemic puts on this type of comedy. I almost turned it off cause I saw people on a zoom call and went 'no' but it was really good

I guess I would recommend it in spite of its middling quality just for that episode tbh

One the plane… I watched a few episodes of Mr Mayor starring Ted Danson and written by Tina Fey. It’s pretty good but it’s one of those American comedies that there are a million of now. People not stopping to breathe while making quick quips at each other. 

Ted carries it but everyone is alright. 

7/10 (of the 4 episodes I saw, S1E1-4)

edit sorry mods, forgot about the new rules after trailer-geddon

Anyway I think this is a fine trailer but is threading very familiar ground for TV/film audiences (walking dead, Children of Men). Hard to see what makes this one special, but Chernobyl is one of the best TV series of the past few years so they have that Mazin clout on their side. That's what'll get people on board with watching yet another zombie apoc story I'd reckon, maybe also the somewhat novel concept of it being based on a fungal mind control parasite that actually exists (cordyceps)

What a fucking trailer! Holy fucking shit I want to watch this so bad.

Everything just looks so authentic to the source material and so amazing. My only slight reservation would be the new character played by the Woman from two and a half men who looks dressed an awful lot like a Seraphite from TLOUPII.

I will say as well that the relationship key to the game (and presumably the TV series) along with the infected not being Zombies (clickers in particular are far different aesthetically from the typical TWD 'walker') and it being a virus that isn't a 'zombie virus' will hopefully successfully separate it from other apocalyptic TV shows. 

Got 4M views already so I think folks are excited.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tulsa King binged. It’s watchable none sense. Has 2 good actors and some tv acting. Story is ok but some parts are just daft. So it’s ok 7/10 territory. With better writing it could be great. Can’t recommend but not upset that I watched it so far. I think there’s 10 episodes and 8 have come out.