Jimbo Xiii

TV Shows

This week's binges...

Peaky Blinders season 5. Going in I was concerned about them featuring a well-known political figure of the 1930s. But it was awesome, as violent and twisty as ever. And while you go into that last episode knowing there is a big twist coming, it still played out in a very clever way.

Good Omens. I adore the book, was dreading an Americanised film adaptation, but in the hands of Neil Gamain himself this six-part mini-series (from the BBC and Amazon) was just the thing to watch when the world seems to be ending. With some clever pruning of extraneous bits, brilliant devices to frame the flashbacks and asides, and a bloody amazing cast (Michael Sheen is incredible as Aziraphale the Angel, but it's his interplay with a perfectly cast David Tenannt as Crowley the strutting demon that brings the whole thing to life) I enjoyed every second.

Indeed, Good Omens is clever and lovely.

Just watched Homecoming on Prime which is a 10 part series (episodes are around 35 minutes) with Julia Roberts. I'd ignored it for ages but it's excellent and produced /directed by Sam Email of Mr Robot fame. It's a very different type of story but has some of the same sensibilities as Mr Robot.

I watched all of Kingdom on netflix last week. It's dumb, feudal era Korea, there's a virus that turns people in to zombies, set against the backdrop of a Shakespearen power struggle in the royal family. It's absolute nonsense but by series 2 I was properly in to it. I can't recommend it to everyone, but certain people are going to love it

On sky I caught up with Save Me. I'm not sure why I never got around to it at the time but it's brilliant. It'll be interesting to see if the imminent series 2 can keep it up, some of the characters felt like their story was told, but there were some key things not tied up. really enjoyed it, managed to watch the whole series in a day 

Kingdom is a fun walking dead that has its own ideas and spins without ever outstaying it’s welcome at 10 episodes a season. i.e I recommend it too.