passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

I edited my post to make you two clowns happy.

Weren't you calling people snowflakes the other day? ?

Apparently Mahershala Ali was approached to play Joel, he would've absolutely fucking nailed the role but Pedro Pascal is a fine choice and will make a great Joel (once he's got his apocalyptic makeup on).

24 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Gina Caranno has been fired because she likened 'cancel culture' to the persecution of the Jews. Ooops

She was in the Mandalorian. On the bright side she will have lots of time to read a history book

Hahaha, good riddance. What a fucking cunt. 

Also, the lols keep coming:

?

Et6ii5qXIAIwQda.jpg

Whatever happened to "the views of actor X don't necessarily represent those of studio Y" ?

I don't think this is the right way to handle this. It was an extremely stupid statement from her, even more so than the by comparison harmless "masks are a scam" thing from last year. But she didn't break any laws or incite others to do so. It wasn't even hate speech, technically. 

For me this just shows that she's one of those people who shouldn't have a platform online and that's all. She's been making a living for the best part of her life by either punching people for real in the ring or doing fake punches on a production set. I don't know what wisdom people expect from someone like that but it obviously was too much.

Then again Disney is the employer and if they don't want her to represent one of their brands anymore they're obviously free to let her go. Maybe my perception has also changed a bit during the last four years since the most powerful person on the planet has been saying similarly dumb stuff on an almost daily basis and nothing happened to him until the very final act.

Given the recent allegations Charisma Carpenter has made about Joss Whedon during her time on Buffy & Angel (supported by other cast members) it'll be interesting to see whether Disney+ still puts those series on as part of their Star deal.

I imagine they will still appear, and there lies a problem, where big organisations can play judge & jury over their actors & shows, and will predominantly be driven by the commercial impact rather than equality of actions.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/buffy-actress-charisma-carpenter-alleges-abuse-joss-whedon/story?id=75827716

If you start prohibiting certain productions for what happened backstage you're going to lose a lot of arguably very important classics in the process as well. Kubrick for example was famously a nightmare to work with but should his movies all disappear from the face of the earth because Shelley Duvall went through hell during the filming of Shining?

I think you need to draw a line between the people and the product, otherwise this stuff just goes out of hand.

(Reading the Whedon stuff kind of ruins Firefly for me though?)

It's a really tricky issue - you'd be hard pressed to see TV shows with Jimmy Saville, Stuart Hall or Rolf Harris getting repeated, or hear radio play of music of Gary Glitter and Lostprophets (and maybe soon Marilyn Manson) - but Weinstein backed films and other media from alleged/proven abusers remains in wide circulation.

But I'm not sure there is a simple straightforward solution.

5 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

It wasn't even hate speech, technically.

No but misrepresenting the holocaust skirts a line between being ignorant and something much worse. fwiw I don't think she's anti-Semitic but if you're out there trying to compare systemic extermination of a people with getting criticised for your views on twitter I can see why somebody like Disney would be fast to distance themselves.

Of course there's a hypocrisy to that where these same companies would probably not do the same if we were talking about the persecution of Uighurs. Because money. Purely about image for Disney at the end of the day

I'm not a huge fan of people losing their jobs for minor things, but she's said some fairly shitty things in the past. Including some transphobia (reading up on this it's really minor), which she's entitled to believe if she wants, but the star of the show has a trans sibling, so y'know. 

It's no secret that if you do or say something against a brand's "values" you're going to get sacked, she's lucky it didn't happen sooner tbh. She might not care, she's certainly not acted like she was worried about getting dropped 

Babylon 5

Been working through Season one again. With the recent passing of Mira Furlan, it put me in the mood to revisit. It does start off verrry slow. But I do remember it picks up around 'Babylon Squared'. I haven't got there yet... 

• 2 weeks later...

They're bringing back Frasier. That's weird. I loved Frasier but I thought that series said all it needed with those characters and maybe got a bit long in the tooth after Niles and Daphne married.

A thought I had is would they go Roseanne Barr on it and have Frasier mirror their actor's political leanings (Kelsey Grammar is a republican). Probably not.

Anyone ever watch that show Boss? Kelsey Grammar was tremendous in that but they (Starz) ruined it by forcing in lots of weird sex scenes every 5 minutes. Got cancelled after 2 seasons I think, shame