passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

I binged through Squid Game this week. Loved the first seven episodes, the last two not as much. But for the most part it’s one of the best shows on Netflix I’ve seen. I thought episode six was amazing.  I loved the characters, the imagery, the music in the show. 

6 episodes into Nu Dexter. I think there are 10 altogether. There's got to be a word for this sort of reboot telly where it takes a series that was an absolute dogs dinner and makes you forget how bad it got

If anyone is a lapsed Dexter fan, or a long suffering one who actually watched all the bullshit, then the new season generally feels like the original show runners trying to pick up where they left off, not where the previous people left off. Obviously it can't be a total clean break cause they have to justify the finale and where it goes from there. But it only makes fleeting references to seasons 5-8 (mainly just the ending) and quite a few to the first 4.

It's not the best the show has ever been or anything but stuff actually happens in it, unlike the way Dexter had just threaded water for almost a decade. If anyone was getting into Dexter I would reccomend them to watch up to season 5 episode 1, skip the rest and read/watch the ending online, then jump into this. That is good TV, not the horrible shit I forced myself through. It's some solid watchable trash, the way Dexter should be

I do find myself getting a little bit annoyed by how visually dull the setting is though, and the locations they film in sometimes make me feel like it's cause of covid constraints or something. I can't quite explain why it feels like that but it does. Kinda a lower budget, or maybe it's the lack of sunlight

I've not watched Sunny regularly for an extremely long time but man Charlie here has the best enunciation of Irish I've ever heard from an american ever 🤣. It's not perfect but it's a good enough effort

Also I can understand it without the subtitles, which is something cause I've not spoken it since I was 18

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Dexter. Overall it was good stuff, as it went along tho it became more and more noticeable that the showrunners probably haven't even watched the seasons they didn't work on (5-8). It has that sort of feel that Twin Peaks season 3 did, where I think Lynch probably just read a summary of the shit bits.

That's fine for Dexter tho. But it does eventually end up repeating the sins of some of those bad seasons. Not that they didn't exist in the good seasons too, but that way it gets kinda sloppy with its writing and finds all sorts of contrivances just to get characters from point A to B. It does that a lot in the second half of this season, where characters feel like mere props to just get to the point. Which is unfortunate, but that's Dexter.

I would probably say my order would be S4, S1, New Blood, 2, 7, then the rest in the bin 🚮

Apparently they are making an announcement tomorrow about Dexter. Who knows what. More seasons maybe lol

edit New Blood spoilers

Spoiler

But without Michael C Hall, or with him as a 'Dark Passenger' to Harrison

Not that it should need to be stated, but if you click that spoiler and get mad, well that's your own fault lmao 

A couple years ago, there was a revival of Roseanne. First thing they did was write off the last season of the original run. The bit people didn't like.  Then Roseanne herself got fired from her own show, for reasons you can look into in your own time.  This left the well received revival in limbo. Until they decided to carry on without her. Now it is called "The Conners" and has been going for four seasons in the US.

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Not that it should need to be stated, but if you click that spoiler and get mad, well that's your own fault lmao 

Kinda wish you'd put that before the spoiler, but I guess that's on me

Yeah I dunno. 5 seasons is a lot. So it's a story about how Sauron seduced people with his power and became a Dark Lord. Is it a story that really needs to be told? I don't really think so. The challenge with post trilogy LOTR stuff has been to find a way to take the huge swathes of lore this property has and weave it into a well constructed story. The Hobbit tries to be about everything that leads into LOTR, not just Bilbo's story. Which was a huge mistake with those films and they ended up being really badly paced and boring.

I guess the mission statement is at least more reasonable here? They are full up front about what it's about. But 5 seasons? I feel like you've got to invent a whole character arc for Sauron and have him show up a lot in his sexy Griffith form for like near the entire show. 

I edited this comment a lot tryna decide if I think it sounds like it'll be shite or not, but I dunno. I guess as they are working off largely just footnotes they are largely in greenfields story wise. They can do what they want, with minor nudges from the stuff in the books. While not having to worry about ruining another story with chunks of uneeded lore like they did with the hobbit

lol ok

I'm gonna be the comic book guy when it comes to LOTR, it's how it is. The failing with The Hobbit imo is Jackson could not resist making his ultimate rendition of everything the story was about with what he knew would be his last chance at it. Like a film director's mid life crisis. I think ego got the better of those films. A simple story like that didn't need such an epic canvas, and the epic stories they tried to cram in didn't have room to breathe.

This probably wouldn't have that issue though, but it's hard to think of what a LOTR tv series even looks like. The OG films had books to base themselves off, this is largely footnotes in the back of the books themselves. So it's way more loose. Whatever they do will probably piss off the estate a bunch cause they will be taking lots of liberties with the material lol (which is not a bad thing necessarily, nor is it wrong to piss off the Tolkien estate).

It's been 20 years since I read them but I don't think we have much more information on the period than the film itself depicts. All I know tho is that Sauron has a sexy looking form that we never saw in the films, so he needs a hottie to play him

The mistake of the Hobbit movies was trying to tie it too heavily into Lotr. Trying to cash in on that trilogy, when it was entirely unnecessary. Also, Peter Jackson failed to realise there is a reason virtually every single book adaptation doesn't veer into the appendixes. Because it is boring.

The Hobbit is probably one of my favourite books ever (in the top 3). So I was a bit crestfallen when the films came out. But I digress.

The Rings of Power, the general premise, sounds like more cashing in. What I've read so far makes me apprehensive. The Silmarillion would have been a better choice. Because it would be all new, extensive, and hasn't been done onscreen before. Just like Jackson did with the first Lotr Trilogy. That had only been attempted onscreen once, in animation. Which ran out of money and ended with the battle of Helms Deep.