passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

A recent one that springs to mind that was good is The Good Place. I never minded the end to Battlestar Galactica, but that last series was very uneven, same with LOST, I didn't think it was a bad ending (although was a bit of a middle finger to fans). The Leftovers was also good and had a satisfying, albeit strange ending.

Mr Robot had a fantastic ending. Not necessarily because it was shocking or changed how you viewed the whole thing, just purely that it was good and they didn't fuck it up

Agree with Twin Peaks The Return too, although I loved the series. The ending captures the horror of Twin Peaks, it's an outstanding episode of television, that manages to make you half forget some of the awfulness of the penultimate episode

2 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Dexter had a really shit ending. Completely unsatisfying, and a massive slap in the face.

It’s coming back soon, and I can’t say I’m that arsed.

Same. The last season left such a bitter taste. I just can't be bothered to even watch repeats anymore.

On 10/10/2021 at 20:22, DANGERMAN said:

Mr Robot had a fantastic ending. Not necessarily because it was shocking or changed how you viewed the whole thing, just purely that it was good and they didn't fuck it up

of course, totally forgot about this, but it was a fantastic ending and makes a second watch more interesting as well, which is pretty much the perfect ending.

Sopranos ending is great cause it's just backing up the thesis statement of that whole show.

Spoiler

Which imo is uncertainty, that discomfort of not knowing. The tightrope you have to walk to live that life and not die in it. All these dudes made a deal with themselves to do evil to get what they want but live in pain all the time cause of it. Being in the mob requires them to put on this macho performance all the time, but it's a house of cards that can destroy them at any second. But you don't know when it's coming.

Ultimately none of it is worth it. It wasn't worth it for Big Pussy to live with the pain of betraying his friends, or Vito to have to hide who he truly was in order to stay alive. There's lots of other examples you can pull in. IMO the whole show is more about toxic masculinity than anything else, using the mob as the magnifying lens for its themes. 

The point isn't if Tony got hit or not, it's that his life is always going to have that shadow of uncertainty over it. Especially after the NY mob war stuff. He probably did die in that diner but it's not the main point of it. The point is that it's not worth living a life like that. It doesn't pay. The sword of Damocles is forever dangling and you would not get that from a straight ending of the NY guys killing Tony

David Chase has been at pains to spell out the whole thing over the years anyway, so imo it's pretty much a closed book.

On GoT I found it got sort of tedious well before the finish line. I think it was one of those shows a lot of people put up with as they made up theories for how it would all end, but if you look back at the second half of the series there's a lot of shite there and the finale isn't even unusually bad by that standard.

I think it suffers from the LOST issue in that so much of it hinged on how it would payoff, except LOST is overall better I think as a series. I think time will be even more unkind to GoT, maybe LOST is due a re-evaluation because I think by the end it became clear maybe the writers were less invested in the mystery than the viewers

Obvious in hindsight now is that GoT benefited from the tight structure of having a series of novels to adapt. Without it it kinda fell apart.

Re watched Lost last year & definitely enjoyed the last season & end much more than when it was originally on.  I think the writers have said that towards the end it was much more about the characters & their stories rather than the island & it's mysteries.  Overall I found it a much better watch than at the time.

GoT just feel apart when they no longer had the books, the writers clearly didn't have the talent or inclination to carry on with the high standard they set.  The final season just felt like we need to get this finished so we can move on to something else.

I'm struggling to think of something that ended really well, I think most shows struggle to stick an good ending just due to the weight of expectation at the time.  The Sopranos I thought was well done & I certainly wasn't disappointed like some.

Sons of Anarchy definitely overstayed its welcome. If it was two or even just one season shorter I would have held it in higher regard than I eventually did. By the time it ended I was just happy it was over.

I think think I've ever seen a live action show with a completely satisfying conclusion. The Last Airbender on the other hand, now that show has a great ending.

57 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

Sons of Anarchy definitely overstayed its welcome. If it was two or even just one season shorter I would have held it in higher regard than I eventually did. By the time it ended I was just happy it was over.

Pretty much Agree, last couple of seasons were just a bit to strung out and overly poetic, think Sutter wanted to be the next shakespear 🤣

But definately had its moments. rest of it though was great, though never quite the same after Opie moment in season 4.

Well cant see a wrestling thread, but unlikely to use it heavilly, but over last couple of years

AEW has reignighted my love of TV Wrestling, had grown bored of same old rubbish served out by WWE

but both dynamite and rampage actually have me hooked again.

Just hope it continues to be great for some time.

• 3 weeks later...