passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

On 27/02/2020 at 20:14, Blakey said:

It is definitely factually incorrect @smallofbooty.

I consider myself a historian but I still enjoy it in the same way as something like Wolfenstein or The Man in the High Castle. In my mind this takes place in a slightly different alternate 1977 rather than the one we got but it uses the Holocaust to make you hate the Nazis in the show and ground you in their evilness by showing you how evil they were (in this alternate New York) so when they get what is coming to them it matters more and resonates more if that makes sense. If they didn’t show that stuff then you might just think some of them were sweet old men/women at first glance. 

The tone in some moments is very somber but in others it doesn’t take itself too seriously at all and bills the ‘hunters’ as a team of ‘Jewperheroes’ at one point. But it works, for me at least.

I’d say at least give it a go if you haven’t already, if you don’t like it then that’s fair enough but it’s definitely good enough to warrant a watch, for me at least.

Sorry @blakey I don't seem to be getting my notifications as I should, so missed your reply. I think my point is that the Holocaust is not light entertainment, and never will be or should be.

I know. I tried two episodes of Treadstone but it was so monumentally dumb that I just sacked it off. Life's way too short.

Trying to post in Firefox on your phone is shit. It just merged my Treadstone post with my reply to Blakey.

1 hour ago, smallofbooty said:

I know. I tried two episodes of Treadstone but it was so monumentally dumb that I just sacked it off. Life's way too short.

Trying to post in Firefox on your phone is shit. It just merged my Treadstone post with my reply to Blakey.

That's a forum feature, not a Firefox thing. It's to stop multiposting. If you post in the same thread withing a few mins it merges the responses.

I'm going to do the same with Treadstone as well I think. Pick up Hanna instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent watched wrestling in about 20 years but Vice have this interesting documentary called Dark Side of the Ring, about Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. Both of which are figures I recognise at least (and of course I know what happened with Benoit).

I've only watched half so far but it is pretty interesting, not a light subject matter however. Also they have a tendency in the doc to call every deceased wrestler the best of all time, or maybe Benoit actually had that reputation and I didn't realise? I dunno.

edit part 2 is on his channel too.

Cheers, I'll have to watch that.

If you've got Netflix, The Resurrection of Jake the Snake, is another excellent wrestling documentary (looking at the post (prime time) wrestling life of Jake Roberts and his eventual rehabilitation - a really emotional piece at times). It more a true life piece than sports entertainment film.

I watched the second part of that documentary. It got taken down from that guy's youtube channel so I actually went and set up a VPN to see it (it's US only).

It's an excellent tho harrowing expose of how little attention was given to the welfare of WWE's talent, until a huge crisis like this thing happened. Not that it was the first but I assume it was just so beyond the pale that there was no way things could be the same after it.

Shows that it's not all glitz and glamour I guess. Again I haven't watched wrestling since about 2000 or so but smashing peoples heads into chairs and diving headbutts were just the done thing then.

This week's binges...

Peaky Blinders season 5. Going in I was concerned about them featuring a well-known political figure of the 1930s. But it was awesome, as violent and twisty as ever. And while you go into that last episode knowing there is a big twist coming, it still played out in a very clever way.

Good Omens. I adore the book, was dreading an Americanised film adaptation, but in the hands of Neil Gamain himself this six-part mini-series (from the BBC and Amazon) was just the thing to watch when the world seems to be ending. With some clever pruning of extraneous bits, brilliant devices to frame the flashbacks and asides, and a bloody amazing cast (Michael Sheen is incredible as Aziraphale the Angel, but it's his interplay with a perfectly cast David Tenannt as Crowley the strutting demon that brings the whole thing to life) I enjoyed every second.

Indeed, Good Omens is clever and lovely.

Just watched Homecoming on Prime which is a 10 part series (episodes are around 35 minutes) with Julia Roberts. I'd ignored it for ages but it's excellent and produced /directed by Sam Email of Mr Robot fame. It's a very different type of story but has some of the same sensibilities as Mr Robot.

I watched all of Kingdom on netflix last week. It's dumb, feudal era Korea, there's a virus that turns people in to zombies, set against the backdrop of a Shakespearen power struggle in the royal family. It's absolute nonsense but by series 2 I was properly in to it. I can't recommend it to everyone, but certain people are going to love it

On sky I caught up with Save Me. I'm not sure why I never got around to it at the time but it's brilliant. It'll be interesting to see if the imminent series 2 can keep it up, some of the characters felt like their story was told, but there were some key things not tied up. really enjoyed it, managed to watch the whole series in a day 

Couldn’t find a Amazon Prime thread so I’ll put it here rather than starting another. 

Highly recommend Hunters. It’s a fictional programme basically about a group of Jews hunting Nazis who committed horrible acts in prison camps hiding in America following WWII set in 70’s. Gets more complicated as you can imagine and has a couple of brill twists, I really loved the end twist (although I’m not sure about the very last scene). Give it a go if you’ve got access.