passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

Ta, I'd been waiting to see it based on the book. I think the BBC might have shown the first episode on YouTube of all things but I've never come across the series as a whole. The book maintains that underlying supernatural threat throughout while often the real "horror" is the situation and behaviour of the sailors trapped in the ice. I remember one chapter where a crew member is in effect chased across the ship's rigging (in reality a small distance) by some sort of threat or presence and it was as tense as fuck.

I finished watching the first series of The Purge. It's ok, bit boring. It's the worst elements of the films at times, not enough of the politics, trying too hard to be 'weird', unlikable characters, posturing, glorification of violence. It's main problem though is that it's just boring, there was one character I liked and she wasn't exactly a great person

I watched the first episode of Watchmen, it was ok. I've said elsewhere I was a bit confused by it, I'm not sure why the world is the way it is, why we're routing for who we're supposed to route for, why the bad guys have that identity, why we're supposed to care about a fairly small city after what could have been the end of mankind

It's not bad though, all that stuff may become apparent over the series, and I do like that they've continued to use slightly older characters, I'm not sure they needed to but I suppose it is one of the themes of the book

2 episodes in to Watchmen and I think it might be a bit shit? It's still got the same problem of the good guys being fascists, which makes them hard to route for. There's just no hook to get you in to the story, it's just questions, no  traction, which makes sense given one of the guys from Lost is behind it 

On 29/10/2019 at 08:27, DANGERMAN said:

2 episodes in to Watchmen and I think it might be a bit shit? It's still got the same problem of the good guys being fascists, which makes them hard to route for. There's just no hook to get you in to the story, it's just questions, no  traction, which makes sense given one of the guys from Lost is behind it 

Still really enjoying it myself but the 2nd episode was definitely far weaker than the 1st. It was rather confusing a lot of times - asking a lot of questions as you say - with loads of different time jumps that it felt rather difficult to keep track of what was going on and when. My missus - who has no knowledge of the Graphic Novel whatsoever - was completely lost and zoned out by it all. 

If you're referring to the cops/'heroes' as fascists, I don't really find it difficult to root for them at all when the only enemies shown thus far have been a bunch of White Supremacists it's very easy for me to root for the cops. 

There's enough intrigue there for me to keep me going though. I want to see how everything pans out and if they can make everything go full circle so things I don't understand now end up taking on a greater meaning towards the end of the series then I think it could turn out amazing. It is definitely a head-scratcher though but then some of Lindalof's other work like Lost and Leftovers I've enjoyed too, so maybe I just like being mystified a lot. ?

His Dark Materials. Struggling to make my mind up about this pilot episode, cause it looks exactly as my (admittedly vague) memory of it, but then I get caught off by the hokey dialogue and acting. Clunky pacing too. A strange package so far where everything looks right but feels sort of off.

All the mentions of 'airships' reminds me of Final Fantasy for some reason. The weird steampunkness of it yet everything also looks like our world. But so far it feels kind of boring.

I do remember that not a lot really happens in that first book, I think. At least until the end, then the second one has lots more stuff and a cool knife. That's the one I remember really liking. (Last one I dont remember at all except for some elephants who rolled around on logs or something, lol)

I've not read the books, etc. but went into the pilot hoping to like it and get into the series. 

It too left me feeling puzzled. Looks great. Good actors. But it felt off. The acting felt wooden and clunky. I came to the end and didn't give a toss about any of it.

I'll give the next episode a go but I have feeling it'll get binned. 

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I thought the visuals where HBO and the acting was BBC prime time. 

This couldn't be a better description for me. Even the intro credits seemed lifted straight from GoT.

I'd agree with the consensus that the acting feels a little off too. I still think Lyra is perfectly cast, and McAvoy was a great choice for Asriel, but something didn't quite feel right to me. There are a few changes with the books, but I can see WHY they've done the things they've done. To be honest, given my love for the novels, the first episode didn't enamour me to the rest of the series, but the little Next On... trailer absolutely caught my attention. I'll be watching the rest because I know the story and I'm excited to see where they go with it, but I can also see a lot of people being turned off by it.

Having said that, the first episode of GoT absolutely didn't grab me either, I just stuck with it because I'd heard it was great. Maybe this will be the same?