passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

Nearly finished my Deadwood rewatch. One thing that stands out in season 3 is how much more urgent it feels all the time with the Hearst stuff. Which I think hurts the show cause it's best when it's this slow burning, somewhat meandering story about a community dealing with forces of change. How it starts with them fighting back against government then meeting a compromise with it.

While the stuff with Hearst is more exciting than the slower stuff it kind of kills that feeling the show had because it's the clearest the series ever had to a villain. As does the 15 new characters it introduces and fails to properly integrate into the story. But of course we know that they were probably written to be made more interesting later on in season 4.

I would still say its second to only The Wire as far as the best HBO stuff goes.

The Chernobyl series is a mixed bag. There's something about how it handles the invisible horror of massive radiation that's really effective (the Geiger counter going crazy, the film getting "corrupted"). But it also lays on a bit thick how dramatic some of the more mundane stuff is.

Spoiler

Killing all the radioactive puppers for instance. It's a real thing that happened but they spend a long time on it this week.

I got in such a Chernobyl hole watch this show made me find out that they actually offer tours to the exclusion zone. They say now that the half life's of the most dangerous particles are all passed and that in the guided tour you would be exposed to no more radiation that a plane journey. But there's still Caesium-137 that you can ingest through dust which can take a very long time to break down, emitting radiation all the time inside you.

Maybe I'll put that one to the bottom of the bucket list... ?

Anyway I found this on YouTube. Some guy going down to the hospital basement to look at the fireman's clothes with a radiometer. You know, for the giggles

Deadwood: The movie. As an episode of Deadwood it's a bit too clean and tidy and packed full of events to rank up with the best, but it's a lovely send off for these characters and their stories. You feel the time that's passed. How the town has changed and the history between the characters. I really liked it. ?

Came back to Hannibal.

Still utterly weird and insane.

The most weird thing is every other character diverges from the original yet for some reason the guy playing Mason Verger is channeling Gary Oldman’s voice from the third film (or fourth, if you count Manhunt and Red Dragon as completely separate). Though I just read that a different guy will play him in the 3rd series.

Thinking of watching something old school after getting one of my boxes out of storage. I'm torn between The Champions, Water Margin and Carnivalé..?

The Chernobyl finale was excellent. More than anything it's got me interested in learning about nuclear reactors, which before would sound like the most boring thing in the world.

So I bought an audiobook called Midnight in Chernobyl for my walk to work which isn't just about the disaster but also the race between the USSR and US nuclear industries and how the Soviets cut corners and hid the weaknesses of the RBMK reactor

Some parts of the show were a bit heavy handed, like all the very moving speeches about truth and the cost of lies which feels more like the writer is trying very hard to send a message about Trump. But definitely the best thing HBO have put out in a very long while.

Russia really hates the HBO Chernobyl series and so they're making their own one. Except it has a few small differences, mainly that's instead of the disaster being due to a reactor fault and bad management it is because the CIA sent an agent inside the reactor to blow it up.

I will definitely be watching this with close interest ?

I got recommended Killing Eve by a work mate who knows my taste pretty well, and fuck yeah, it’s great. 

Only 4 episodes in and I hear the last half of the series falls off a bit, but so far this is right up my alley.

And it has the Danish guy from The Bridge in it.

And a super sexy assassin.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I got recommended Killing Eve by a work mate who knows my taste pretty well, and fuck yeah, it’s great. 

Only 4 episodes in and I hear the last half of the series falls off a bit, but so far this is right up my alley.

And it has the Danish guy from The Bridge in it.

And a super sexy assassin.

I saw two films at the cinema on Friday, each had the same three ads for Killing Eve. I assume it is pretty popular to be receiving that kind of a push. The ads did seem interesting, I'll certainly give it a look when I remember/have the time.