passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

I love shows like Supernatural and Lucifer ? There’s just something about seeing actors delivering lines like “I was created from someone else’s rib. I am literally the subset of another person” with a straight face that appeals to me. 

Chernobyl. Thought it was a bit weaker this week

Spoiler

Although very harrowing in its depiction of radiation sickness. Based on photos I'd seen before it seems pretty much as they show it here, your body's tissue falling apart on the inside and out. Like a living corpse.

What gets me a bit is I learned the Emily Watson character isn't real, now I'm getting a bit hung up on what's fiction and what isn't.

Spoiler

I read for instance that some of the divers are still alive!? I find it hard to believe but there it is

https://www.businessinsider.com/chernobyl-volunteers-divers-nuclear-mission-2016-4?r=US&IR=T

Sources aren't completely verifiable though

Was going to put this in the Thrones thread but probably makes more sense here.

I've been thinking of a list of shows I've watched that have had conclusions and trying to think where GoT fits. So I think in best to worst in terms of my enjoyment and satisfaction with the conclusion:

Battlestar Galactica

Breaking Bad

Lost

Game of Thrones

I'm more surprised that I've only ever watched 4 TV shows, pretty sure there is more. I'll edit as they come to me.

And Coke are bringing New Coke back as a Stranger Things promotion:

New Chernobyl was absolutely horrific this week. Incredibly harrowing and hard to watch at times, felt physically sick afterwards.

Such an incredible piece of television. 

I loved the ending of Seinfeld where the main characters were on trial for their behavior throughout the series. 

I like the ending of Frasier where Frasier is chatting to a woman on a plane.

I like the original ending of Futurama, the final episode of Season 4. I think it was called “The Devil’s Hands are Idle Playthings.”

I seem to remember both the UK Office and Extras having great endings.

Probably my favourite show ever is Northern Exposure. It’s a shame what happened to the series but I like the closing scene where they play Iris Dement’s “Our Town”.

I feel like I’m forgetting loads.

The Office and Extras both have incredible endings. I really liked the LOST ending at the time too.

The Sopranos ending was absolute dogshite though.

The Scrubs ending was super weird because they did an ending and then it got renewed for Series 9 with a mostly new cast so the true ending was shite but the fake ending was amazing.

Mad Men was a bit weird if I remember rightly.

Loved the first two episodes of What We Do In The Shadows (spin-off from the film of the same name).

Kayvan Novak as Turkish vampire Nandor, Matt Berry as Laszlo and Natasha Demetriou as Nadja - three vampires in a flat-share on Staten Island, New York. Filmed in the same documentary style as the film.

Just finished Lucifer season 4. The show is trash but I absolutely love it, and I think they did a great job with the end. It’s closed enough that if it doesn’t get renewed for season 5 it’s like yep, it got a proper ending, but it’s open enough that if it does get renewed they haven’t written themselves into a corner.

For people watching Chernobyl, here is a gallery filled with interesting stuff about the incident

https://m.imgur.com/a/TwY6q

Here is one of the divers receiving a medal for bravery thirty years later (man with walking stick)

1fVxCAL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Here's a man removing graphite fragments with a shovel. They had to use men because the machines they tried to use got destroyed by the radiation

fi0WhUz_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Scientists calculated that people could work on the roof for up to 40-60 seconds at a time without receiving a life-threatening dose. During the day, terrified men from all walks of life dashed across the roof, hurled reactor graphite weighing up to 40 - 50kg over the precipice, and ran back inside. Only around 10% of the work on the roof was accomplished by actual machines - the rest being done by 5,000 men, according to Yuri Semiolenko, the Soviet official responsible for the decontamination of the plant.

For all those who moaned about how GoT ended, well you only got half a dozen duff episodes, meanwhile The Big Bang Theory limped on well past its sell by date,  and a last five mostly laugh free seasons, before slumping over the finish line (it's final episode starting with an ensemble of clip from when it use to be funny).