passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

This week's Chernobyl. Feels wrong to spoilertag a real disaster but anyway

Spoiler

I knew that the Swedes were the first to detect it, didn't realise that it got noticed so fast. Or that there could have been a second, more catastrophic (no, apocalyptic) explosion if they didn't get workers to basically sign their lives away to drain these water tanks.

As I understand Chernobyl is why glasnost became a thing and the Soviets stopped trying to hide shit all the time, so it's interesting to see the starts of that here as well. All this 1984 shit of not questioning the party becomes harder to keep going when the world is ending

It is well put together. At the same time it makes me want to read a book or watch a doc that doesn't have the dramatic elements

I want to recommend also the podcast the creator is doing. It gives a lot of the context behind the culture of doublethink which allowed them deny the reality happening around them.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pineapple-street-media/the-chernobyl-podcast

It's a good history lesson, reminds you how real it is and how recent it occurred. The children of Pripryat and Belarus are our ages now, it's not that long ago really.

On 09/05/2019 at 12:21, AndyKurosaki said:

I never got round to finishing Deadwood. I enjoyed season 1 and 2, but 3 didn’t feel quite as good for some reason

Because large chunks were unscripted, the cast weren't told what they were doing and they got told part way through filming that it was being canned. 

First 2 seasons are good but it's trails off in 3. Last episode particularly 

Deadwood was cancelled after season 3 filming finished. Apparently Timothy Oliphant was in the process of buying a house and David Milch expressed doubt the series would be renewed (so he should hold off), which then became a sort of self fulfilling prophecy

I don't really remember S3 that much tbh, I remember S2 being the one I liked least

Season 2 is a lot of impending doom. Yankton is coming, Hearst is coming, the Pinkertons etc. It's a lot of setup for season 3 I think which is why I think I preferred 3.

The ending they gave Deadwood was never what they intended, they expected to be coming back. It doesn't so much trail off as it gets abruptly cut off.

So, Veep is over.

This last season was funny but had some serious pacing problems. Two time jumps (six months and then 24 years!) were squashed into the last episode, which was very funny but felt rushed.

@Maf

It's weird they are going with the same angle that The Gifted used (I.E. Batman isn't here, as Gifted did with X-Men). It looks fairly faithful. I do hope they lean more towards the Blackman/Williams III run than the later stuff. Using Alice out of the gate is a good sign.

Well GoT might have shit the bed, but HBO still have another fantasy adaptation coming out.

This is the only YA thing I ever really liked, I think, other than Harry Potter. It's darker than Potter though and it's got a talking polar bear that wears armour which means it's better.

This is the BBC show I’ve been waiting for, nice to see they finally have a trailer. Been excited about this for a very long time.

His Dark Materials is my favourite book trilogy so I’m hoping this adaptation is better than the movie.

We’re getting it on BBC one and America gets it on HBO.

On 17/05/2019 at 18:48, OCH said:

@Maf

It's weird they are going with the same angle that The Gifted used (I.E. Batman isn't here, as Gifted did with X-Men). It looks fairly faithful. I do hope they lean more towards the Blackman/Williams III run than the later stuff. Using Alice out of the gate is a good sign.

I think the costume they’ve made for her is one of the best costumes they’ve made full stop. Movie or TV. But I don’t watch these DC TV shows because they’re all garbage. 

Yeah. Although I am told Doom Patrol is really good and I am looking forward to how they handle Swamp Thing. The rest so far...Meh! The Flash started well and I never liked Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow or Supergirl. Titans, I only saw the first episode. They really need to put the shows like Titans and Doom Patrol on actual TV, so I remember they exist. 

5 minutes ago, Maf said:

Oh, actually I quite liked Titans I was thinking more of the network DC shows

I thought so. I tapped out of The Flash when every villain was a speedster and as the show went on, it become more melodrama, less superhero. I was quite impressed with King Shark and Gorilla Grodd were handled on Network TV though.

2 hours ago, Maf said:

I think the costume they’ve made for her is one of the best costumes they’ve made full stop. Movie or TV.

I’ll have what he’s drinking.