Sly Reflex

Final Fantasy VII

Just over 7 hours in.

Got Yuffie, arrived at Junon, killed the sea creature and gave the young girl CPR.

No idea how they're going to stretch Midgar out to a 40 hour game in the remake 😕

The first 30 hours are just Jessie crushing on Cloud while he acts all aloof and shit. Then she dies and Cloud doesnt notice. 

just nipping in here to ask a question while trying not to read anything because spoilers, it's on sale on the switch, with the cheats - you can disable random battles right, but then are you underpowered - or are there cheats/ways round this?

@spatular There are three commands you can do by pushing in the analogue sticks.

Triple speed.

No random battles.

Max stats.

Each can be turned on and off at the push of a button.

19 minutes ago, spatular said:

just nipping in here to ask a question while trying not to read anything because spoilers, it's on sale on the switch, with the cheats - you can disable random battles right, but then are you underpowered - or are there cheats/ways round this?

Enemy Skill Materia, Added Effect Materia and All Materia. With the right spells on the former and corresponding Materia on the latter, you won't really need Random Battles. The only time this cheat will hinder you is building Limit Breaks.

Cheers guys, so I think you’re saying I’ll be ok, with max stats can I just batter any enemy in the game then? If so that sounds good, I’ll probably start out playing properly but if I get stuck or don’t want to grind I’ll be right on those cheats.

@spatular the grind isn't too much in this anyway. If you've done xenoblade and personna's, you'll have no issues getting to the end of the game without to much struggle. 

You don't need to grind at all if you use materia properly.

I used to grind a lot but it was more for money than experience because I insisted on buying everything because it's paced more for pushing you into making decisions. 

You will definitely need to fight but it's probably best to turn the random encounters off during exploration, then just grind at triple speed every now and then. It's certainly not a hard game, nor is it long by modern JRPG standards and doing it this way you should clear it in about 30 hours. 

To elaborate further on Enemy Skill, you'll need Manipulate Materia (Cait Sith comes with one, if memory serves) and to look out for:

Zemzelett.jpg

This guy, around Junon. This will get you White Wind.

latest?cb=20120320204351

And this guy, on the shore near Gongaga. This will get you Big Guard.

Most of the other powerful offensive Enemy Skills you'll pick up from bosses. With these two you'll have very little trouble, as they can both be easily grabbed on Disc One.

Just finished my latest playthrough, beat everything, if your playing for trophies there is a grind, namely earning 99.999,999 gil or whatever it it, but thanks to 3 x speed and grinding the swamp in north crater it didn't take long by mastering multiple sets of ALL materia and selling them.

Got 2 sets of master materia, took down the 2 hidden weapons while experimenting with Materia setups, then went on to sephiroth, took him down before he had chance to land more than 1 ihit, didn't even get chance to cast SuperNova.

Yet still didn't platinum, as I missed 1 Trophy  relating to the golden saucer date.

yup,swear I hit all right dialogue choices, still should be quick enough to get to if start again with the modifiers on.

I have the Barett date achievement, maybe I should go back and Platinum

Just on the PC version music, it's well known how bad it sounds if you play the unpatched version today. But what gets talked about less is that the way the music is generated for PS1 is the same as on pc, it comes from a MIDI source. It's just we lack today the correct hardware on our PCs to synthesise it correctly so it sounds like a Nokia 3310 is playing the soundtrack.

Here's a recording of the "bombing mission" played off a Yamaha xg. It's a lot softer and less intense than the PS1 version but there are parts where imo it sounds deeper and less "scratchey". I like the warm feeling, it reminds me of the Bladerunner soundtrack. Trumpets are very low tho.

Not saying it's definitely better or anything. The PC midi completely lacks the vocals for One Winged Angel which is awful, but I like the different quality it brings to some tracks.

This version of the boss battle music is funky 😎

Just started watching a Let’s Play of this game and the person is using a PC mod. The detail on the enemies and stuff is crazy, particularly the robot enemies with all the scratches and cracks and stuff. Is that original artwork or is that part of the mod? 

FF7's true graphical fidelity is a bit... ambiguous. There were three in-game graphical styles, after all. Chibi Mode, Battle Mode and Upgraded Battle Mode. The latter of which was used for a single, highly detailed fight right at the end [Spoiler Free]. 

There are lots of mods for the graphics of the PC version. Basically the community have spent decades going stir crazy for a remake that they have being making their own piecemeal one.

I'm not fond of the mods on PC tho as they tend to have clashing visuals. Only mod I've ever used are ones which replace music (like with the synth stuff above).

This is what I’m used to

latest?cb=20160216130457

But then look at the detail on this one

FF7-Mods-Old-vs-New.png

The level of detail just really took me by surprise