passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

Firstly, I cannot believe that there isn't a thread for this game. I know people bang on an on about this game, so I thought there would be one already. I think it is kind of weird that one of the FF haters is starting this topics as well, but there you go.

Right, lets get some things laid out on the table. I hate JRPG's unless they are Pokémon, as that's the only one I have been able to understand the mechanics of how everything works because it is nice and simple to learn, and hard to master. I really hate how everyone goes on about how awesome this series is, all I see is turn based fantasy shite populated by people who have hair the size of a fridge freezer. I had very low expectations of this game, I was expecting to play ten minutes worth and call it a day. However, I was wrong. After persevering with the frankly crippled controls outside of battle, I find myself enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. The backgrounds still look nice after all this time, and the music is really good so far. The FMV has also held up well for such an old game. the "in the field" graphics and animations are bloody horrible though, it is hard to tell what is happening sometimes as the polygons creating the characters wildly move around the screen. I'm also hating on the save locations, I really hate games like this that make you use save locations instead of letting you go into the menu and save.

For all it's short comings, I am liking this game. It has impressed me more than I though was possible and I look forward to spending more time with it, if only to find out first hand what happens with the story. What are your thoughts on this game?

Another thing as well please, can we keep this spoiler free? I know certain people die and that, but I don't know when or why, and I would like to find out for myself. Thanks. :D

When you eventually get to the World Map, you'll be able to save at any point.

Glad your giving it another chance though, it really deserves it, yes it feels very archaic now, but its still an excellent game (although I still swear that FFIX is a much better experience and doesn't feel so old)

I think someone with no prior experience with JRPG's are likely to get into FF7, it is a mainstream one at the end of the day. I think at the time the animation was pretty dire, it give it a certain charm though, like when a characters have mental fits.

I like FF7, s'good. But I did see the price of it today on PSN, £7.99? what cunts. :lol:

I think someone with no prior experience with JRPG's are likely to get into FF7, it is a mainstream one at the end of the day. I think at the time the animation was pretty dire, it give it a certain charm though, like when a characters have mental fits.

I like FF7, s'good. But I did see the price of it today on PSN, £7.99? what cunts. :lol:

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time, the other PS1 "Classics" (I use the term losely) are around £3-£4 each and FFVII is four times the size (file size) of these, its probably more expensive to buy it on disc second hand too.

I would imagine the file size would be bigger, it came on three CDs afterall but the game wasn't anymore expensive then any other title during it's original release, it might of been a fiver more. While a higher price point is expected because it is the mighty, fapping FF7 twice the cost of the others is laughable. I still have a my PS1 copy so I wasn't gonna download it and even if I didn't I don't think I would... maybe I would.

Still, nice that it entertains to this day.

I get maximum frustration from trying to control Cloud in the field, and as someone else mentioned, the animation in the field that act as story bridges are so bad it's funny. Mentioning the funnies, it's also got quite a good sense of humour. Normally these games take themselves way too serious, but I think I have laughed at several point at some of the script. As for the price point, it goes for way more than £8 up on eBay and compared to some of the other games on PSN which will only divert your attention for a few hours, this feels like a time sink of a game.

Downloading this today, I fucking love this game and the fact that it can be played anywhere thanks to the psp is basically one of my gaming dreams acheived from when i was a kid. I pretty much bought a psp today just for this game, even if its total crap im not fussed, this will be a major dose of nostalgia, dont forget, spoiler free.

I have a real copy of this and I'd be more than happy to join if my PS2 didn't refuse to play PSone games. I'll play it when I get a PS3, which hopefully should have a more functioning DVD drive than my PS3 does.

So, sunk 2 hours in tonight, which felt more like 20 minutes. Currently in the Sector 5 slums.

It's stunning just how much its aged, I noticed when in the Sector 7 and Sector 5 reactors that the frame rate for the backgrounds moving can be really poor at times, and you get the occassional character polygon that seem's to sort of spasm, the d-pad controls too feel very awkward and amazingly un-natural, yet despite this its still very very enjoyable.

I had to stop playing at the bit where you

sneak out of the house with the creaky floorboard

, as my battery was on its arse. I'll try and get a few more hours on it tomorrow, but gaming time is really limited right at this time. :angry:

In Wall MArket now, think I've got all the bits needed to make

Cloud the most "attractive girl"

thats one of my fave FF bits ever. And the reason why i dont want them to remake it with the super serious Final Fantasy graphics.I'd be gutted if it got cut.

We may be stuck with the 50hz bordered version, but if you use the zoomed option it fills the screen perfectly, the borders disappear and you have an excellent picture. I started this a couple nights ago and have gotten just past the

reactor part

. I like what I've played and having it on a handheld means there's a greater chance I'll get a bit further.

Ive ploughed about six hours into this already, I fucking love it. I didnt realise the slums bits went on for as long as they did, its amazing how much ive forgotten of the game. Ive been stunned at times at how good certain parts look.

Ive just recently got

Red XIII

and then done the part immediately following that. Im still trying to figure out the best materia and weapon combinations, but I dont think the point am at is meant to allow you the best combinations yet. Ive messed around a bit in the

Shinra HQ Building and guessed the password right first time to get the 'Elemental' materia and combined it on Cloud's 'Buster Sword' with lightening so that it gave him a lightening element attack, which easily kills a lot of the robots you fight in the shinra HQ

Im loving all the nostalgia, and remembering little tiny bits of the story here and there, for anyone that knows the story, I feel like im genuinely experiencing it as Cloud would do (serious spoiler)

because of how his memory has been affected in his 'incident'

. I agree with you Ed that having this on a handheld means im so much more likely to get through this than otherwise.