passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

Yeah, I think it assumes knowledge of Crisis Core too, or the FF7 extended universe generally.  I get the sense all that stuff is going to play out really differently.  So playing the original first is the only way to get that twist in a satisfying way.  

In any situation it's always best to experience a series the order they came out, there's never a time that's not the case.

I actually bought this for Switch last year and plan on actually properly playing it sometime in 2024. VIII was my introduction to the series and when I went back to VII a couple of years later I found it rather hard to get used to the visual downgrade. The fact that its German translation was beyond awful didn't really help matters either. Now I can just play it in English and its visuals are just as dated as everything else from that time, so that isn't an issue either. I'll most likely never play the Remake trilogy but I at least want to get this knowledge gap out of my system.

When you say

3 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Remake trilogy

has that been announced?

I'm looking to get into these new games now that I've copped a playstation. Just bought ff7 remake with the DLC cheap on the ps store and I'm going to try to time it so that the new one follows on within a month or so. But then there's this crisis core remaster. Where does that fit in? Not for the first time I'm slightly confused about the structure of a final fantasy iteration.

I did like the original, though. I played it on switch I think for the first time just a couple of years ago.

I'm just doing a normal playthrough, no extra stuff or grinding. 

A lot of the game's systems work better if you don't grind, I'm finding. Like using summon materia, and linking it to elementals instead of just chaining a bunch of magic to all and calling it a day.

A lot of the 'challenge/100%' stuff will likely be repeated in the new game in some form anyway, no point doing it here again

On 09/01/2024 at 19:06, one-armed dwarf said:

A lot of the 'challenge/100%' stuff will likely be repeated in the new game in some form anyway, no point doing it here again

To be fair, the 100% for this game revolves around Chocobo racing/breeding and overcoming the two Super Bosses*. Which is easy to achieve in a first playthrough. The breeding bit is a rabbit hole when you get into it. The two Super Bosses.. require strategy or being incredibly lucky with Cait Sith's level 2 Limit Break.

One challenge run I enjoyed was Blue Materia only. No spell casting but utilising the Elemental and Added Effect Materia instead. It really shows how busted the Materia system is in this game how little a restriction like this changes things.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. I think I've already posted a few things on this thread over the years. But my terrible memory still retains a surprising amount of RPG knowledge.

*And getting the two secret characters. Which is achievable on Disc One.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed it last night, was around level 50 by the end. Interestingly that changes the mechanics for the penultimate 'proper' boss fight due to how it scales

Spoiler

You don't get to fight 'bizarro' Sephiroth with all of your party, just the main three and the others get thrown away

Anyway it's still the most complete feeling adventure game I've ever played, much better than remake still and mechanically it's a lot more fun if you don't grind. Materia composition and unique weapons matter much more and I sort of don't get why I didn't play it like that before.

• 4 weeks later...