passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

Tbh Och you put "finishing" in commas like that which I also read as a sort of snide GFAQs style comment 'oh, you didn't do all the superbosses well now'. If you didn't mean it that way it's another thing but it's how it comes across. It sort of reads like a test or an exam.

I think the post game content in VII is really good for what it's worth, better than Remake's. But it's time consuming and very grindy. The type of thing I wouldn't touch now that I'm 30 and not 12 and can buy and play any game I want.

My girlfriend has decided she wants to breed Chocobos.

I'm tempted to leave her to do that on her own because my God I can't be arsed to go through all that again.

I have made a huge mistake though. We're playing it on my Switch (the idea being I can grind exp and money undocked while we're watching TV or whatever), BUT that also means I can't play on my Switch while she's doing all the boring shit on the TV ?

I don't even know what 'GFAQs' is? You have to understand my exposure to the online gaming community is extremely limited. Three forums and YouTube. That is it. None of my other online interests are even remotely connected to gaming and/or social media. Facebook being my sole platform for the latter. A lot of your references go straight over my head.

Plus as I've said many times. Just read it as plain text/face value, there is never subtext. I neither talk, think or write like that.  

Anyway, my point, was there was still a lot more of the game to go after the final boss. Much as I previously mentioned to Bellow. The other reason why I didn't mention Enemy Skills and Limit Break grinding again. I've already said it all, at least twice.

To be fair, the Chocobo breeding is too extensive for even me to commit it all to memory. There is a lot to do, to get your perfect Gold Chocobo...?

A random google search later, to give the uninitiated a sense of scale...

Question: Approximately how long does it take to breed a gold chocobo?

Answer: Just over an hour if you know what your doing.

Even if I decide to try and beat the optional bosses There’s no way I’m doing that Chocobo breeding from what I’ve seen and heard. 
Thought it’d take longer than that though @OCH. Still not happening. 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Even if I decide to try and beat the optional bosses There’s no way I’m doing that Chocobo breeding from what I’ve seen and heard. 
Thought it’d take longer than that though @OCH. Still not happening. 

I would personally suffix that google answer by saying, breeding a Gold Chocobo takes an hour, after you've already gotten the first two Chocobo parents, bought all the stables and got the necessary Greens & Nuts. If memory serves, some of the specific Nuts and Greens have to be farmed random enemy drops. 

I've heard people in the past only play the main game up until the Chocobo section is fully unlocked and play that instead. The Racing does offer some good rewards, like Battle Square. But you need to put a lot of effort in to get there.

Spoiler

Oh and the ultimate reward for owning a Gold Chocobo, is access to the most powerful Summon in the game. The legendary 'Knights of The Round'.

One More Thing...

Spoiler

It is possible to beat Emerald Weapon in one hit, via Cait Sith's Slots Limit Break. Match three cat face pieces is an instant victory. Note this does not work on Ruby...

Been playing some more of this, probably about 9 hours, a lot of it I really like, the story moves along at a good pace, there’s some funny stuff, the combat is alright. Music is pretty good. There’s some bits I find annoying too, partly I guess because it’s an old game and doesn’t spell everything out like a modern game would, like some people tell you where to go next or how to do something like catch a chokobo, then I dont play for a few days and forget, but the people won’t tell you again, no quest markers and stuff like that, so I’ve been using a guide quite a lot which is a shame. Even with a guide catching a chokobo was really annoying. The dialogue is odd too, and cloud is a bit of an asshole, his dialogue options don’t always make sense to me. So yeah theres things that have been annoying me but overall I’m enjoying it.

Back in the day, even the guides didn't tell you everything. I recall trying to follow what the Brady Guide suggested for the Superbosses... and not getting very far. The artwork was always very nice though and I liked the bestiary in the back, which was surprisingly extensive.

Yea I used to really like strategy guides mainly for the artwork and extra lore they sometimes would put in.

Ive still got my Super Street Fighter IV guide book just because the artwork in it is so good. 

I looked up how much the Brady Games guide was now... ? £100+

I was half-tempted to look for the FF9 one, prior to the July play through. Since there is a lot of things that can be missed there and I have no idea what happened to my old copy. But I passed on it. Re-discovery is going to be half the fun.

I thought this game was really good about telling you where to go considering the age. Most of its linear and when you’re in the over world, go to a few towns and 1 will no doubt tell you where to head next.

But I was playing it daily for hours at a time so didn’t have any breaks to forget stuff. Just get on google, fuck paying £100 for a strategy guide for this. 

5 hours ago, Nag said:

Pretty certain the people paying £100 for a strategy guide aren't using it as a strategy guide... just saying.?

Indeed. Like how a few years ago I tried to get a few gaming artbooks. Some FF, re-purchase the Demon's Souls one and the [then] two Darksiders games. On the secondary market, forget it.