passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

Congratulations @Nabby9 ? If you're interested there is still lots to do in the game (chocobo breeding, Emerald and Ruby Weapon, etc), but to be honest on this play through that I'm doing I'm doing it bare bones too.

Just got to the life stream where Tifa is trying to help Cloud piece himself together so coming to the end now if I remember correctly. I think I need to start looking for my next game to play ?

Nice one bruv, nice one. 

On the subject of the weapons. Has anyone ever done them without cheesing it? I always just trigger the KotR summon counter and go make tea. 

I use W-Summon, KotR (one mastered one normal), mime (one mastered one normal) and something else for Emerald but I can't remember. I don't think that anything that requires that amount of work can be considered cheesing.

I give Yuffie the Conformer (damage scales up against bigger/more powerful enemies, so guaranteed 9999 against Emerald), put her in the back row (because ranged) and give her 4 or 5 mastered counter attack materias and a mastered cover. Every non-AOE will hit her and she'll counter for 40-50k. Add on her normal attack turn and that gives her a really high DPS. Give her mystile so she has high evasion and a tough ring if you have it so she basically becomes a DPS-Tank

The other two don't matter so much as long as someone has mighty guard and a supply of x potions. You could give them no materia if you want.

That was the way I found to do it when I got sick of messing up the mime-KOTR chain and watching long attack sequences, think you don't even need underwater materia for it but it's been a long while.

For Ruby I don't really remember except you have to kill two of your party members so Cloud will probably solo that one.

I think it was PLAY magazine that had a pullout guide for Ruby Weapon that I stuck to religiously. Could never beat him without it. @one-armed dwarf is correct about starting with only one party member. The [high level] Materia combination was quite involved, if memory serves. They also recommended killing Ruby first, as it was the "easier" one of the two. 

Mostly because of Emerald's ultimate attack 'Airetam Storm' (Materia, backwards) which deals damaged based on how much Materia you have equipped for the fight. I do remember only having one line of Materia, in my sword and a long war of attrition followed. It was one of the lesser weapons that had a full row of linking slots. Of course, once and only once, I got extremely lucky and hit the Jackpot on Cait Sith's Level Two limit break. 

135146.png =Instant Victory!

The amount of EXP and mastered Materia I got for that fight was insane. Bear in mind, even Slots won't guarantee victory against Ruby. As that boss fight comes with caveats.

15 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Your memory of ffvii stuff is exceptional which is weird because you also say your memory is shit ?

?

My memory for details from when I was young is good. Adulthood+ is a crapshoot 

Had my first death yesterday.

In the Northern Crater.

One step away from the the final boss fight.

And in the three rooms before the boss room it wouldn't let me use the Save Crystal so I lost an hour ?‍♂️

I really can't be arsed to do this all again.

I was, then the second suit of armour killed me.

I'm back there now, killed two of the fuckers and fighting the third.

Had to restart the crater again after not reading the go-left-go-right section properly and Cloud got stuck with all the fuckers without Materia ?‍♂️

I'm so close to the end I'm just anxious now.

Game has pissed me off now.

Tried Jenova 3 or 4 different times and each and every time it has wiped me out with one singal Ultima spell.

Why?

Because I'm not casting MBarrier or Reflect, or have Final Attack materia.

Why?

Because I didn't pick the fucking materia up earlier in the game.

I've had to reload and fly to literally every town on the map until I found the shop that sold Barrier materia (Rocket Town. I picked up a Time materia for good measure too), and now I'm in the forests around Mideel grinding AP until I get Reflect, making my "You don't need to grind in FFVII" statement earlier moot through my own idiocy.

Luckily I have Cloud's Apocalypse weapon with triple growth on it so it shouldn't take too long. Hopefully.

22 minutes ago, RikSP said:

Game has pissed me off now.

Tried Jenova 3 or 4 different times and each and every time it has wiped me out with one singal Ultima spell.

Why?

Because I'm not casting MBarrier or Reflect, or have Final Attack materia.

Why?

Because I didn't pick the fucking materia up earlier in the game.

I've had to reload and fly to literally every town on the map until I found the shop that sold Barrier materia (Rocket Town. I picked up a Time materia for good measure too), and now I'm in the forests around Mideel grinding AP until I get Reflect, making my "You don't need to grind in FFVII" statement earlier moot through my own idiocy.

Luckily I have Cloud's Apocalypse weapon with triple growth on it so it shouldn't take too long. Hopefully.

Enemy Skill - Big Guard. It can't be understated. You don't need any of the grinding, Barrier or Time Materia if you pick up that one simple spell. As @one-armed dwarf said, we all learned the hard way you can only take the hit when it comes to Ultima.

What is your party & equipment/materia makeup?

Jenova is sort of a rush to just deal loads of damage from what I recall. A party with high damage limit breaks could end it fairly quickly. Ultima also is (ironically) useful to keep the tentacles down, or any other sort of group magic/enemy skill/summon

Only other thing I'll say is to protect against frog for later on.