passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

Just finished my latest playthrough, beat everything, if your playing for trophies there is a grind, namely earning 99.999,999 gil or whatever it it, but thanks to 3 x speed and grinding the swamp in north crater it didn't take long by mastering multiple sets of ALL materia and selling them.

Got 2 sets of master materia, took down the 2 hidden weapons while experimenting with Materia setups, then went on to sephiroth, took him down before he had chance to land more than 1 ihit, didn't even get chance to cast SuperNova.

Yet still didn't platinum, as I missed 1 Trophy  relating to the golden saucer date.

I have the Barett date achievement, maybe I should go back and Platinum

Just on the PC version music, it's well known how bad it sounds if you play the unpatched version today. But what gets talked about less is that the way the music is generated for PS1 is the same as on pc, it comes from a MIDI source. It's just we lack today the correct hardware on our PCs to synthesise it correctly so it sounds like a Nokia 3310 is playing the soundtrack.

Here's a recording of the "bombing mission" played off a Yamaha xg. It's a lot softer and less intense than the PS1 version but there are parts where imo it sounds deeper and less "scratchey". I like the warm feeling, it reminds me of the Bladerunner soundtrack. Trumpets are very low tho.

Not saying it's definitely better or anything. The PC midi completely lacks the vocals for One Winged Angel which is awful, but I like the different quality it brings to some tracks.

This version of the boss battle music is funky ?

Just started watching a Let’s Play of this game and the person is using a PC mod. The detail on the enemies and stuff is crazy, particularly the robot enemies with all the scratches and cracks and stuff. Is that original artwork or is that part of the mod? 

FF7's true graphical fidelity is a bit... ambiguous. There were three in-game graphical styles, after all. Chibi Mode, Battle Mode and Upgraded Battle Mode. The latter of which was used for a single, highly detailed fight right at the end [Spoiler Free]. 

There are lots of mods for the graphics of the PC version. Basically the community have spent decades going stir crazy for a remake that they have being making their own piecemeal one.

I'm not fond of the mods on PC tho as they tend to have clashing visuals. Only mod I've ever used are ones which replace music (like with the synth stuff above).

Finished the Golden Saucer and Cosmo Canyon bits, and just arrived at the reactor at Mt Nibelheim. I think I'm around 11 hours in so not making bad progress, and thankfully haven't needed to grind yet (the closest I've come is when I was running around the forest looking for Yuffie). 

Still enjoying it as much as ever, it's definite comfort gaming for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just over 20 hours in now. Got the Highwind and found Cloud in a wheel chair. Now I'm at Fort Condor to get the second bit of huge materia. 

Still haven't had to grind for anything but money for the Gold Saucer life time ticket and Yuffie. 

Finally finished this for the first time ever.  Got it 22 years ago when it first came out but never managed to get to the end despite starting it many times. 

Really glad that's done now, took around 27 hours & didn't really have to grind at any point. 

Maybe start FF IX again & might actually get to the end of that one as well.