passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Charlie Brooker

David

I enjoyed this last night, of course I sat down to watch it half an hour early thanks to Wiivo, but it was good all the same. It was a bit of a shame to see so many 'assets' (dont know what the tv term is) being reused, but what are you going to do. That psychologist he showed at the end was interesting, spot on too I'd have thought

I saw it anyway. Really liked it, more serious than Screenwipe but he can do serious very well too. Loved the bit at the end with the Psychologist saying what not to report on a School shooting juxtapised with them doing everything he says not to. Ahh, the news.

• 1 month later...

As did I. That would be ridiculously good. They should get Rab and Ryan to do segments (They already did on Screenwipe) seeing as Consolevania is dead. I miss it, badly.

• 1 month later...

I watched it, the bit when Richard Herring was reading the autocue about the things he'd done with his mouth - secret things, bedroom things - had me in tears. Also when it was Jamelia's turn and the autocue described some guy 'celebrity chef and cunt' - again, howling. They were some other laugh out loud moments aswell but i forget.

Jamelia is very well endowed.

Jamelia is very well endowed.

Thats all i could look at when Herrings Hitler tash wasn't on screen. I liked it, thought 50 mins was too long though, 30 would have been plenty. Also i like brooker, but i thought he hogged it a little with his ranty ways, should have let the others speak more IMO.

Off topic, but Richard Herring does an excellent podcast with Andres Collings, it is ROTFPMSL

That Taliban vs IRA was brilliant

"So we've mocked the morals of this whole thing, but we're gonna join in?"

"SLINGSHOTS!"

Although it was obvious the IRA would win, the Taliban had mines, fair enough, but they were fighting it out in a car park, the IRA had car bombs hmmm

A few things, firstly Jamelia is undoubtedly hot, and she's been pretty good on the shows I've seen her on (this and Buzzcocks).

Secondly I really enjoyed this, I think they've reused the set from one of ch4's daytime shows but aside from it's cheapness it was really funny. A lot of Brookers stuff was essentially just Screenwipe which worries me that that's gone forever, but so long as they have decent comedians on with him the show should be awesome (I'd happily have Hound and Herring on it every week)

thirdly i watched a bit of the first series of screenwipe on youtube, Brooker has come on massively since then. It also reminded me to look for Shaun Locks tv show on dvd if it still exists

• 2 months later...

Gameswipe is on next week

BBC 4

Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 10:00pm to 10:50pm

Charlie Brooker sets his caustic sights set on video games. Expect acerbic comment as he looks at the various genres, how they have changed since their early conception and how the media represents games and gamers. Features interviews with Dara O'Briain, sitcom scribe Graham Linehan and Rab and Ryan from Consolevania.Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles

and here's a vid of what it could be like Linky

• 2 weeks later...

You can have her since she doesn't share my oppinion on Madworld. The show was alright, it covered more things than TV usually does but that isn't hard.

I didn't think a whole series could be made but going by the way some parts were dragged out I reckon there is enough stuff to fill six half hour episodes.

Also Rab from Consolevania made me feel bad, he's right, games are shite. This must be how Ben always feels.

And finally, I can't believe gaming was summed up brillianly about 20 years ago by that bloke at the end.

That woman at the end kind of summed up my issue with the programme.

I liked it, laughed at a few bits, and thought it was quite even handed, needlessly so in fact. Charlie would praise games, saying they could be more than just killing things, and even if they were just killing things thats ok. but then he'd tear into Blood on the Sand, or Condemned (that FEAR 2 vid), or any other game dismissing them as juvenile and violent. I dont know, it felt like he wanted to distance himself from saying that violent games are fine if that's what you like.

To bring it back to that woman, who sings that 'disillusioned nerds' think violence makes you the coolest kid in school, which just patently isnt true. She's a reviewer according to him, so I'm guessing she has played and enjoyed some violent games, if so, unless she's being ironic, why perpetuate that myth.

Games are for more people than just us admittedly, but then he was ready to dismiss genres out of hand, so I assume the intent was to come from a 'gamers' perspective. So yeah, I kind of feel like I'm missing the point writing this, but it all seemed a bit confused like he didnt know who to aim it at.

It was pretty good tho, I would have liked to have seen more stuff about games with narrative, because there are some brilliant examples out there. But still, better than Gamesmaster, and he was really funny on Would I Lie to You this week

yeah i thought that sung review was gash and completely missed the point of madworld and a lot of other visceral, fun games for that matter. enjoyed the show though, i felt it was mainly aimed at non-gamers but because of that 50 minutes or whatever wasnt enough to fully explain gaming genres, history etc.