passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Persona 4

RivaOni

Not started it yet, as I've said elsewhere I'm still reluctant to as I've not finished P3 (think I'm half way...) and not even started The Answer chapter on the FES edition.

But I am listening to the soundtrack CD that comes with it, and its every bit as good as the soundtrack for Persona 3 was with Reach Out To The Truth being my favourite track so far.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I can add some impressions. I spent the afternoon on it, I wasn't going to, I also wanted to finish P3 before I started it but when a shiney new game drops through my letterbox I have to play it. Like P3 it has a really long opening. The first time you get proper control of your character is over an hour into the game, before that you're dragging yourself from one conversation to the other. So far the Characters are stronger than those in P3 and they get more interesting when their powers awaken to them, it's done in a very pleasingly dark manner.

Gameplay wise it's more of the same, only two things come to my mind that are different. One, if you wish you can give commands to your companions like you do your own character but I've been playing it the same way as P3, I always liked that system and the AI in P4 is a little more with it where P3's AI would leave you wondering WTF from time to time. Two, I've found it much easier than P3. I got way ahead of myself at one point yet still managed to pull back a win against a tough boss. That could be because of the AI again though as I fell to pieces yet the computer kept it together by healing at perfect times.

I won't go into the story but it's been great and made going through reams of text moderately interesting. So far so good then. :)

So can i just jump into P4 without any knowledge of the other games?

And lol @ Chin.

I think there's only a very very minor link to Persona 3, I'd heard someone, somewhere mentions the ending of Persona 3 in a sort of passing reference. Other than that its like Final Fantasy, they're pretty much stand alone.

DifferentClass, do they have the same Evoker's in this one? (i.e. gun to the head) or have they altered that?

do they have the same Evoker's in this one? (i.e. gun to the head) or have they altered that?

I've not played it yet - too busy looking at Chris Redfields huge steroid arms - but I have read that the gun to the head part is gone now.

in an odd move, probably fueled by free stuff like tshirts and soundtrack cd's, i bought this and have been playing it practically all weekend and i'm really enjoying it. it's my first jrpg, or even first proper rpg (only thing similar i've played is paper mario 2 (had to use a cheat disk to do the last boss), and even less similar, zelda's and kotor) so its good that it guides you in nice and slowly to the game world, but the combat and persona stuff is rediculously confusing, i've registered and fused some personas, but it's a bit unclear how/why i'm doing any of that, although the main point about the weaknesses of the enemies is made clear so that's good. actually all the main stuff you need to know is made clear, but there seems to be lots of deapth to it and that's the confusing bit, like after i won a card after a battle, this other random card appeared, i span it and it granted me some strange thing that later wore off, what the hell that was for i have no idea.

the reason i don't play this type of game is because i suck at turn based combat and can't be bothered with this grinding melarkey, so i've put it on beginner mode, not sure if that affects how hard the baddies are (seems pretty difficult so far, but it's hard to tell if they are actually hard as i'm useless) but it gives you 10 potions that, if you die, restore everyone to full health, and i've already used 4 of these so i'm going to run out pretty soon. just fought a baddie that could pretty much wipe out all my dudes in one move so used 2 potions on that one fight. i'd like to see the game through to the end but it'll probably depend on what hapens when i run out of potions? maybe i can buy more...

I suppose its playing it safe that they did remove it. I always thought the idea was a pretty good one, giving the whole split personality thing a bit of weight.

He's right, no evokers this time round. I found that I don't miss them, they did give the game some striking imagery but the whole reason to why they were used was hazey.

And with regeistering Persona's, personally I don't use that function and I've been going through this and the last game fine without it.

iirc registering them is just like Pokemons Pokedex, its just so you know how many you have/haven't got really, and you'll eventually get the hang of how the fusion stuff works, its all about learning enemy weaknesses, what enemies are certain parts of the dungeons and what you need for each task, plus which ones give you particular strengths (i.e. the dungeon boss I beat the other night had strong wind attacks so I needed a Persona that was immune to wind), of course the counter is that they may not always be strong against certain enemies.

Also, I doubt I'll miss the P3 style evokers, I liked the visual idea for them and whilst (thus far) its not been made clear why they operate as they do in P3 I think the clue is in their name, how they work and in the term "Persona".

(i.e. the dungeon boss I beat the other night had strong wind attacks so I needed a Persona that was immune to wind),

that's interesting, how do you know what type of attack the boss is using on you? i'll have to look out for stuff like that next time.

also if anyone's got an more tips for the fighting please share :)

edit - with the registering thing it looks like you can store them and buy them back later as you can only carry 6 at a time..maybe

Ah yeah you can summon them at a cost if you need them at a later date, but as you level you'll be able to carry more (although not as many as there are in the game).

As for being able to tell what a boss strengths and weaknesses are, its usually a case of fight it, make a note of what it does, if you die, use that as your strength too and take one of your other team who has the opposite element with you (for example, take a fire user if the boss uses ice whilst you use an ice based persona so you can sit back, heal and deal physical damage rather than magical.)

^ yeah looks like your right, i died and it just took me back to the main menu to load my last save.

i've just been trying to get the dungens over with by finding the stairs to the next level asap, should i be taking it a bit slower and killing everything on each floor so i can level up more? grinding *shudders*

also just spun a card that took all my hp and dumped me out of the dungen <_<

the game is brilliant though, really enjoying the story part of it.