passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TEN

Oliath

Shame you bought it now, Oli, as the reissue comes out soon. Or is it out now on iTunes?

Pearl Jam has unearthed a host of unreleased tracks and special surprises from its vaults for a deluxe reissue of its fabled 1991 debut album, "Ten." Four different editions will be available March 24 from Epic; pre-orders begin today (Dec. 10) at PearlJam.com.

Each version includes a digitally remastered version of the original album as well as a completely new remix of the set by longtime producer Brendan O'Brien, who did not work on "Ten" but produced Pearl Jam's subsequent four albums. Bassist Jeff Ament and designer Andy Fischer teamed to revamp the artwork.

The O'Brien disc also includes six previously unreleased songs from the era: early versions of "Breath" and "State of Love and Trust," "Brother" (with vocals, not the instrumental version from the 2003 rarities collection "Lost Dogs"), "Just a Girl," "Evil Little Goat" and "2,000 Mile Blues," a Stevie Ray Vaughan-inspired jam with improvised vocals from frontman Eddie Vedder.

Band members have been asking O'Brien to take a crack at a complete remix for years, and he gave the idea a trial run when he remixed the "Ten" tracks "Once," "Black" and "Alive" for Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album "Rearviewmirror."

"The original 'Ten' sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that," says O'Brien of the album, which has sold 9.58 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and vaulted Pearl Jam to global superstardom. The Recording Industry Association of America has certified it for U.S. shipments of 12 million copies. "After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original -- giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound."

The "Legacy" edition of "Ten" adds a DVD of Pearl Jam's previously unreleased 1992 performance on "MTV Unplugged," including a never-aired version of "Oceans." The audio has been remixed in 5.1 surround sound. Fans can also opt for a double-vinyl version featuring the original "Ten" on one LP and O'Brien's remix on the other.

But the package sure to send hardcore fans into a tizzy is the "Super Deluxe Edition," which features two CDs, a DVD and four vinyl records. It is housed in a linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box with a replica of an item second to none in Pearl Jam lore.

In 1990, when bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard and Mike McCready were getting the nascent Pearl Jam going in Seattle, they recorded three instrumentals to send to the then-unknown Eddie Vedder, who'd been recommended by Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Jack Irons.

Vedder, then living in San Diego, overdubbed vocals onto the tape, in the process creating the songs "Alive," "Once" and "Footsteps" (he was invited to join the band within weeks). Poor quality bootlegs of the demo, dubbed "Momma-Son," have circulated for years, but the "Super Deluxe Edition" will include a crystal-clear dub of the tape on a replica cassette.

In addition, fans will receive Pearl Jam's previously unreleased Sept. 20, 1992, concert at Seattle's Magnuson Park (dubbed Drop in the Park) on two vinyl LPs and a replica of Vedder's composition notebook packed with notes, photos and memorabilia from the "Ten" era. This version will sell for $140.

The "Ten" reissue is the first piece of a two-year campaign culminating with the band's 20th anniversary in 2011. Additional details have yet to be announced.

Meanwhile, Pearl Jam is recording its ninth studio album (its first with O'Brien producing since 1998's "Yield"), which is expected for release next year.

I've got the Unplugged album on CD as a bootleg that a shop in Wrexham does - haven't been there in years, I bet the net has put his live CD's out of business.

I like Ten but it's easy to see why (musically) they never went back to the same style or sound. On Versus they came the closest, but every song on Ten has a big guitar solo and it sounds more like an arena rock album. I do love Pearl Jam and I am a massive fan but I used to wind up my best mate by continually saying that Ten sounds more like Bon Jovi. Actually, bar the lyrical content and style, it does.

I think the last album of theirs that I properly enjoyed was No Code and that was a looooong time ago.

I think Riot Act was the last PJ album I really enjoyed, might even be my favourite they've done (discounting Merkinball which is incredible but only 2 songs). I prefer Pearl Jam when they're more accoustic nowadays, their last album was good, probably better live, but it wasnt what i look to them for nowadays.

No Code took me years to get into but I love that now, Yeild too, in fact the album I listen to least is probably Ten but as much as anything that's because i over did it when I was a teenager. I'm not sure I'll buy another version of it, depends I guess, the dvd is tempting if only to watch Eddie fall off his chair again

I had some mates I hung around with back in.......1995? shit :( .......that did some perfect impressions of Eddie Vedder, especially the Unplugged performance.

I didn't count it as it's not a studio album, but have you heard/got Benroya Hall? It's not only one of the best Pearl Jam releases, or live albums full stop, but absolutely hands down the best version of Black.

hha hhaaaa

yeah i meant Pearl Jam's TEN.

I never really got into their later stuff... but for me TEN really hit the spot... so many great songs on there.

I think the nostalgia adds to it too... brings back lots of memories.. love it.

Gutted about the re-release version... DOH!

Serves me right for not doing my research.

I had some mates I hung around with back in.......1995? shit :( .......that did some perfect impressions of Eddie Vedder, especially the Unplugged performance.

I didn't count it as it's not a studio album, but have you heard/got Benroya Hall? It's not only one of the best Pearl Jam releases, or live albums full stop, but absolutely hands down the best version of Black.

Yep, Man of the Hour is awesome on that album too

I recommend the best of (Rearviewmirror) to anyone that wants to give them a try, its 2 discs split pretty well into rock PJ and acoustic PJ

"I know some day you'll have a beautiful life I know you'll be a star in somebody elses sky but why, why whhhhhhhhiiiiiiiEEEEEEIIIIIiiiIIIIIIIIII cant it be, why cant it be miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIInnnnNNnnnNnnnNnnEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEE" :D awesome song, thanks for getting it firmly rammed in my head again Oli, prefect for Valentines weekend alone <_<

Can't wait for Ten to come to Rock Band - Alive is already kick ass, it's got an extremely long solo section and a big rock ending. Nothing better than that. Most fun song in the game, on guitar at least.

Never got it this. Found the song Jeremy awful. The clothes horrible. The hair painful. Way to many people at college dressing like them. And the less said about college bands trying to sound like them the better..... Thank god brit pop turned up...

• 1 month later...