passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Non-gaming podcasts

Hendo

wiivo pointed his Twitter masses to the Mark Kermode film podcast on the BBC.

I'm going through another trimming session in my podcast folder and clearing the way for some new stuff, anything to recommend?

So far, I've had the Chris Moyles, Chris Evans, and a load of other BBC podcasts. I've had a film one which used to be called Cinecast, which is now called Filmspotting. It weren't bad but I'm probably not enough of a film buff to listen to it, might subscribe again though.

He very rarely updates with new podcasts, but Stephen Fry's are pretty good, very polished. Very funny when he's in a ranting mood.

I've got an overwhelming amount of gaming podcasts in my subscribe list and I'm gonna trim them down and make the way for something other than games.

The only one I really listen to is The Bugle. It's presented by Andy Zaltzman & John Oliver (The Daily Show) and is an "Audio newspaper for a visual world". It's basically just two comedians taking the piss out of the news, but it's not just political stuff (mostly since the US election though) but sport, entertainment and so on. They were also doing a 'hotties from history' calander, but have stopped it (Florence Nightengale won) and have been getting death threats ever since.

It's better and stranger than it sounds lets put it that way, particularly Zaltzman.

I dont listen to the podcasts as i just listen to them live or on iplayer, but both Jon Richardson and Adam & Joe have bbc podcasts.

I completely forgot about the very one I wanted to bring up in the first place. :rolleyes:

Diggnation is two guys, Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht, running through some of their favourite stories from digg.com (Kevin Rose is the creator of Digg). Very funny at times and some cool stuff gets shown, plus some interesting tech rumours as they have their ears to the ground in Silicon Valley, and Rose is the biggest Apple fanboy.

I don't know if you still can, but they used to release it as an audio file too, but that would seem pretty pointless.

• 3 years later...

Mega bump.

The BBC R4 'Friday Night Comedy' podcast is the currently running series of 'Chain Reaction' - a talk show series where the guest becomes the host of the next episode and interviews somebody else.

The current episode is Derren Brown interviewing Tim Minchin, and it's really good. If you can get hold of other episodes it's well worth it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Do The Right Thing' - a comedy panel show podcast that i really like, has just started a new series.

It's well worth giving some of the earlier episodes a listen. http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/dotherightthing/

Also from the same site, Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown is another funny panel show.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/flatshare_slamdown/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I've started listening to Aisha Tyler's podcast, Girl On Guy which is pretty good. Very long episodes, only listened to two so far - a great interview with Wil Wheaton and a good one with Jack Osbourne.

I've started listening to Aisha Tyler's podcast, Girl On Guy which is pretty good. Very long episodes, only listened to two so far - a great interview with Wil Wheaton and a good one with Jack Osbourne.

I listened to some of those a couple of years ago. They're similar to WTF with Marc Maron (which I visit every couple of months and download 2-3 episodes), in that they're well made and can be interesting, but 90% of the time they're about someone I've never heard of.

One I listen to semi-regularly is Get Up On This. It's a pop culture podcast, the format is the hosts and a guest bring a list of things you might be interested in checking out - music, films, tv, books, games etc. Both the main hosts have a background in rap, so there's a rap artist most weeks, but there's plenty of other stuff too.

It's comical and not serious in tone, and once a month they do "Get Up Off This" - things you're wrong to like, which is pretty funny.

• 1 year later...

Love me a podcast as well. I used to listen to lots of different ones but now cut it down to a select few.

Wittertainment

Answer Me This

No Such Thing As a Fish

Richard Herrings Leicester Square Theatre Podcast

The News Quiz

Nerdist

Adam Buxton

I had tried the scrublious pip podcast as I thought he was great on both Adam Buxton's and Herrings podcasts but there was too much waffle and self promotion. I had also tried comedians in conversation (I think) but that got on my nerves as well. WTF was too loud and shouty although his Barrack Obama one was interesting. I think I subscribed to the Bugle when the last episode came out and they said it was the last one so deleted it.

I also really like Stuff You Should Know and Stuff You Missed in History Class, but was getting too much of a back log to get through.

I used to listen to the WTF podcast, but I gave it up about 4-5 months ago.

Going back to some of the earlier ones, there was a lot of chat from Maron about his day to day wrestling with his life. Now it's jsut the celebirty of the week selling their book. People I've never heard of, or don't care about.

I enjoying listening to Penn's Sunday school, but that's probably because I'm a long fan of Penn and Teller. I'm also an athiest and a bit of alefty liberal. So there's that...

I enjoy listening to "doug loves movies", but I can understand that if you're not really into Films and doug benson

• 3 years later...

Started listening to Behind The Bastards, after hearing it recommended as they do a deep dive on the Jeffrey Epstein case.

I’ve learnt a fair bit about him, and also Paul Manafort (who has real blood on his hands), Alex Jones and nearly finished the 3 part episodes on L. Ron Hubbard, who comes across as more of a likeable Billy Liar than an outright evil bastard.

There’s a lot of ad breaks which doesn’t always sit well, but the shows are good.

• 1 month later...

Following on from Behind The Bastards, 2 guests on one of the Alex Jones episodes have their own show called Knowledge Fight. 

I've been listening to their shows solidly for the past month or so, and I'm even giving them a couple of dollars a month in their Patreon.

They started in the beginning of 2017, doing several shows a week, sometimes for as long as 3 hours and I've only got up to the beginning of 2018 but it's great stuff.

I would recommend listening to their first episode, then one called "January 2, 2011" and if you get bored of hearing Alex Jones rant, you have to listen to the episodes on a conspiracy youtube channel called Project Camelot. Mars Colonies is pretty amazing, and when you hear the twist about Captain Mark Richards on Project Camelot Break 2, you might well lose your mind.

They've also done an exhaustive investigation on how Jones went from being cold on Trump ("he's mobbed up, I don't trust him") to being his own personal arse kisser. The results are amazing, and, perhaps not surprisingly, they involve the Russians.