passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

^ that's a wierd one isn't it, king of fighters :blink: at least being on xbla means we'll probably see it relesed here, so that's good.

with all these shooters on the 360, and still no decent pads (although i've not tried a hori one) i might try and mod a saturn pad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

deathsmiles mega black label is apparently up on the marketplace now, 1200 points.

also raiden fighters aces came out recently in the USA, so maybe there will be a uk release too? apparently it doesn't work on japanese 360's, not sure about pal ones but not working on the japanese one makes it look like it's region locked.

• 2 weeks later...

i didn't get on with it either but i've really not played it enough to say it's crap, or even have much of an opinion on it. you should definitely sign up and post that though as it's about the only game on the list that someone or other isn't complaining about so it needs it's fair share of bashing really.

• 1 month later...

i've not been doing a good job updating this...anyway some more great news for japanese 360 owners - Espgaluda 2 might be ported - it's awesome.

and anyone not buying Ikaruga for 400 points should write to the queen apologising.

yeah fair enough you've already got it, i think the queen would be ok with that.

although having it on xbla you'd play it more and become super leet at it, just think how awesome that would be!

</pimp mode>

sorry i feel it's my duty to try and promote it as much as possible! :blush:

i was scared too, when it first came out on the gamecube over here i'd read reviews and thought it might be too hard and i might hate it. most reviews do say that it's not for everyone. but i took a chance and it really paid off, i do think it's worth the 400 points just to see if you like it, its the game that got me into 2d shooters in the first place.

regarding the difficulty which seems to put people off? i really don't think the easy mode is that bad although it's still hard it's not as difficult as stuff like R-Type or Gradius (imo anyway), but people don't seem to see thoes games as super hard, or do they? the lack of suicide bullets from enemies on easy mode makes it much less mind bending and so a lot more accesible too. i admit on stage 2 on normal mode i really struggle with changing colour to dodge the normal bullets while also thinking about when/where i can kill enemies so their sicide bullets don't mess me up - i probably just need to watch some more replays to see how it's done!

someone on the shmup forum also made the point that at 400 points (comparable price to a magazine or a mcdonalds) it's worth it just to download and watch some of the top replays as they are amazing.

also it really helps to watch some replays as it's part puzzle game, some sections that seem really hard are much easier if you have an idea what to do - the replays on the gamecube disk helped me a lot.

someone on the shmup forum also made the point that at 400 points (comparable price to a magazine or a mcdonalds) it's worth it just to download and watch some of the top replays as they are amazing.

Amen to that, i cant believe how good some people get at games and the replays on Ikaruga are fucking amazing. I still cant get better than a C on level 1. :(

Also, the music on this game rocks.

I picked up Ikaruga yesterday. I thought the first level was fucking solid. Then I played the intro to the second level and I cried at the difficulty of it all. I will stick to Parodius on the Saturn for my shmups I think. :(