passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

Been playing some Drainus, its pretty good, side scroller, you can absorb enemy bullets and fire them back like in ikaruga or gigawing, and theres a shop where you can buy weapons and shields and suff, and you pick which of these you get when you power up. When you get hit you power down and lose access to weapons. Which can be annoying and make some bosses go on for ages.

i think you have to play the story (which is surprisingly not terrible) mode first which i kept failing right at the end so started again on an easier mode and did it, then you can play arcade mode which is the same but 1st loop only and no talking/story stuff. Think ive 1cc’d the normal (easiest) mode, which was fun, ill try the next difficulty mode up but as its a more old school game and with the power down mechanic i suspect ill get annoyed with it on the harder difficulties, see how it goes though.

• 4 weeks later...

I had that on my wishlist for a while and picked it up yesterday. Didn't play much as I was pretty tired, but it was interesting to see that it has a proper shoot'em up tutorial. I've never seen that in a game like this, and it reminded me a bit of a certain rallye game I forgot the name of, which taught you about how to approach corners and at what speed depending on the angle and such. Some games often tend to only explain their own idiosyncrasies and system features but forget that the player might be new to the genre overall, so it's always cool to see stuff like that.

^ nice one! Yeah the tutorial is really good. I made a video of it as i thought it would be useful to be able to see outside of the game. I remember that in a rally game too but also cant remember which one it was, maybe richard burns rally?

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a late reply, but I checked and it was actually Dirt 4, which I played a bit of during a Gamepass trial run. But it's entirely possible other games have done so before, it's not a genre I often find myself dabbling in.

Anyway, haven't had much time to dive into Gunvein so far. One thing I can say though is that the Switch version isn't particularly well optimised. It runs fine, which is the most important thing, but font size is really tiny and it takes a really long time to boot for some reason. It's not a game breaker, but worth noting as the booting sequence in actually has deterred me from firing it up for a quick burst here and there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing some batsugun, the saturn version that was released recently, was a bit worried about input lag as apparently earlier releases of these saturn emulated games have been bad for that, apparently they are better now although still not great, i didnt have a problem with it though. Anyway it was alright, plays a bit like a cross between a cave and psikyo game. Theres 2 versions i played the special one as that seemed easier, not sure what the differences are. Got to stage 7 and as it loops round after stage 5 im counting that as completed for now. Oh yeah by default it is in a strange view mode (probably default for a saturn played via crt) you need to change it to arcade rotated or something to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

The input lag situation is weird. I'm aware the Saturn's hardware was difficult to get the hang of but you'd think they could figure out reproducing these games by now without any hiccups. I was initially interested in (re)visiting the Cotton games but completely lost interest after reading abut that problem. Never went back to check if they managed to fix it, and likely never will, which is a shame.

Speaking of re-releases though, I got Raystorm/Raycrisis HD yesterday as I completely forgot I pre-ordered it early this year. I don't even know why I did that, presumably because I never played them before and M2 was doing the ports, so there was a certain mix of curiosity and faith involved.

The ports themselves are top notch as you'd expect, with a bunch of really good extra features. One of the more unique ones is an audio toggle for background arcade noise, which emulates the feeling of being in an arcade. I find it a bit distracting but I've never seen it done before and I think it's a nice touch, especially with arcades dying left and right everywhere on the planet. Of course there's all the usual fluff we've come to expect from M2, like a Quick Save option, button remapping, a cleanly presented and worded manual etc. And I think the games looks pretty good both in its pixelated original version and the redone HD aesthetic. It doesn't have that cheap look that occasionally accompanies polygon models from that era when cleaned up in higher resolutions.

I've mixed feeling about the games themselves though. Well, at least about Raystorm, as I haven't played Crisis yet. Fundamentally I think it's fun and getting to play around with a Panzer Dragoon-like Lock-On on a 2D plane is an interesting concept, but there's something about the bullet patterns and, depending on the stage, their colouring that I just keep getting hit left and right. It could just be a me-problem though and I might have to play it a bit more to get a better feeling for it. Looking past that it's pretty cool though. I really like its fourth stage which sees you fly across a space battle with massive cruisers in the fore- and background, a setting that (ironically) is very rare in shoot'em ups.

^ nice one, what version did you get? Im still waiting for mine, think i ordered from one of the limited run games companies, not sure when its released. Think it might have been out for a while already in japan. I also thought it cam with Ray force (/galactic attack/layer section/ its got loads of names), which is the one ive played before and like, but even if it doesnt itll be good to try the others :)

just checked and you can get a uk/europe version from amazon etc released a few days ago, thatll show me for ordering an odd version

Yeah, it's the bog standard PAL version I have for Switch. There's a bit of slowdown in Stage 4 if I remember correctly, but considering how old it is I presume that's more of an engine than a hardware thing, though I can't prove it of course. But otherwise it runs perfectly and it scales really well to the small screen.

• 5 weeks later...

Forgot to mention, but Panic recently announced and released what I think is the first shoot'em up for Playdate, Gun Trails: https://play.date/games/gun-trails/

mAUcHq.gif

I think it looks cute. I'm not sure if anyone here has a Playdate, I've been looking at it from time to time but I always ask myself if I really need another piece of plastic.

That said, Vector Pop recently ported one of their Playdate-games (Hyper Meteor) to Switch, so maybe this will come out on another system at some point as well.

10 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Forgot to mention, but Panic recently announced and released what I think is the first shoot'em up for Playdate, Gun Trails: https://play.date/games/gun-trails/

mAUcHq.gif

I think it looks cute. I'm not sure if anyone here has a Playdate, I've been looking at it from time to time but I always ask myself if I really need another piece of plastic.

That said, Vector Pop recently ported one of their Playdate-games (Hyper Meteor) to Switch, so maybe this will come out on another system at some point as well.

I do. I've not used it for ages 😬   but I might pick this up and give it a go