passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

Played some Space Moth. It's really accomplished, particularly for that price point, and the very minimalistic graphics and backgrounds don't really matter much as soon as the bullets start flying around. It seems laser-focused on the highscore audience in an interesting way though. You first need to drain bigger enemies with your weaker attack, which powers up their attack patterns until you finish them off with the strong attack. Combined with a bullet clearing aura that deletes bullets and only charges when you use the weak shot, that's how the back and forth, risk-reward system kicks in. But as there are no difficulty modifiers, the only way to make the game a bit easier is therefore not to use that mechanic and bypass the stronger attack patterns from enemies altogether. So basically playing it incorrectly.

It's an interesting idea. Not particularly a good fit for a casual fan like myself but I'm getting some enjoyment out of it. Except of course for the fact that after almost five years, my left Joycon stick has started to drift. And here I thought I had an indestructible prototype.

^ i ignore scoring/play games wrong all the time, think its valid to concentrate on survival.

still not got round to trying the new space moth version yet.

also dodonpachi resurrection/daifukkatsu/dfk is out on the switch now (released a few days ago), includes the black label arrange ketsui mode. Pretty cool!

I saw this cool looking game on the Switch store but the first screen shot was 

dodonpachiresurrection_01.jpg

I like shmups when they’re bullet hell but I can see at least 4 different types of patterns happening all at the same time. Probably too much for me

^ thats dodonpachi resurrection/daifukkatsu, its pretty damn cool (although not the best dodonpachi game), if you pick the right ship its one of the easier cave games as it has auto bomb, and you get a hyper move that cancels bullets. The spinny laser wheels in stage 5 are hell though. Edit - and the lasers in the screenshot im pretty sure cant hurt you while youre using your laser.

Oh yeah, deathsmiles 1+2 is out now/soon on ps/xbox/switch (switch version delayed a bit, the others are out now i think)on the uk digital stores, which is pretty cool! I got a physical copy on import, played a bit last night, flipping great game. Apparently deathsmiles 1 is a really good port, but deathsmiles 2 is not - missing slowdown. Had a quick go of deathsmiles 2 last night too and it was still fun, and its xmas themed, the last boss is satan claws, and you also fight a raindeer and abraham lincon too iirc.

• 5 months later...

Saw this game from Eurogamer’s review. Looks really cool

I think RPS liked it and there’s some positive YT reviews too.

Looking at the developer their other games come to Switch, so I think I’ll wait and maybe pick it up there. Looks really good, though. I don’t usually like horizontal shooters but I like the look of this 

There's a really weird genremix coming up next month (it's out in JP and the US already) called YuruKill: The Calumniation Games. It's part visual novel, part puzzle game, part shoot'em up and I think it doesn't really work all that well in tandem going by the demo, but it's such a wacky combination I might pick it up at some point as an oddity for the collection.

It does have a Score Attack Mode that ditches the VN and Puzzle elements but I don't know if it's fully available from the get-go in the full version or if you have to unlock it stage by stage by going through the story.

^ according to people on the shmups forum it unlocks shmup stages as you play through the main game/visual novel part. yeah it sounds like a pain in the back side. g.rev did the shmup sections, i'm not a big fan of theirs but thay have made some decent games to be fair.

It's a shame they're not available as-is from the beginning. I played the demo for 30 minutes and there was only one shoot'em up section in that time (the tutorial). It plays rather well IMO but it's hard to get a feel for it if there's an hour of dialogue in between. On the other hand I don't know if VN fans will appreciate the action gameplay segments. Seems like a game made for everyone and no one at the same time.

^ yeah i agree. i sort of like the idea of games like that where they mix a story with an arcade games but in practice it never really works out too well.

espgaluda 2

dodonpachi resurrection

mushihimesama

^ all on sale on the eshop ~£12 each, bargain.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, retroed said:

Yeah it's a tough game @spatular. Why they make you earn 3000 coins to unlock easy mode is a bit baffling.

yeah, then you unlock easy mode and it's barely any different, well i couldn't tell what was different anyway, maybe sometimes less enemies and maybe they fire less often but i found its still really hard anyway. it does have infinite continues and gets rid of the checkpoints so you can credit feed through the game.

DANGERMAN pointed out to me that deathsmiles 1+2 is out physically over here now (ps4/switch), wish i'd known that was going to happen before getting the more expensive limited versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i havent been keeping up to date on all the releases too well and not a big raiden fan although not tried this version (raiden fighters is cool). think your right thats already out on other formats. Did you like the switch version?

ray force games are getting an m2 (edit - maybe not shottriggers release but it is apparently m2), think ive only played the first one before but its good, so will be ordering that.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0B5GY7ZG4