passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

that ghost blade HD thing is currently £3.3 on ps4 so i bought it!

also dangun feveron was released on ps4 on friday (on psn in japan), it's pretty cool!

and the next game m2 are porting has just been announced - Ketsui - which is pretty much the best game ever :D

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

next m2 shottriggers game is ESP Ra.De. - preorders are up, there's loads of different versions - switch and ps4 have 4 each on amazon, standard/limited edition both with/without amazon bonus thing. i really want one of the limited edition ones, pretty pricy though, ~£110 inc vat and postage!

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07W4N1MKC

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=エスプレイドΨ&i=videogames&__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&ref=nb_sb_noss

• 4 months later...

been playing loads of ESP Ra.De. it's great as you'd expect, got to the last boss once but it was a bit of a fluke and i'm really bad at that bit so died horribly, have made it to the last stage a few times, think i'm going to give it a break for a bit.

also got zero ranger in the steam xmas sale, been wanting to try this one for a while, it looks quite old school in design (although it's a new-ish game) so i wasn't sure i'd like it, but it's really good!

• 1 month later...

apart from the odd multiplayer game i've only been playing shmups recently, about 50-60 hours of esp ra.de (2019 game of the year), then played a load of ketsui, and now i'm playing dodonpachi dai ou jou for the last week - really enjoying it, not played them this much in years. it's not helping the backlog of other games mind.

• 3 months later...

The Switch version of Pawarumi got a big update yesterday. To keep it short, the developers spent the best part of last year fine-tuning everything on a technical level, meaning that they managed to double the framerate to 60fps without compromising any visual features. I haven't played it on other systems but I suppose it's the same everywhere now.

They also added achievements which double as artwork-unlocks (a bit like they do on Xbox One).

I already liked the game in its original state but I can't argue that it feels and plays better now. 

If you haven't heard of it, it's a colour-coded shoot'em up where using one of your three coloured weapons has different effects depending on which colour the enemy has. You can "boost" by shooting with the same colour which recharges your shield, you can crush them with their weaknesses which does more damage or you can shoot them with the last remaining colour to "drain" them and charge your Super. Takes a while getting used to but it's a nice system that works well in practice. I also really like the Sci-Fi mayan visuals which make it stand apart from a lot of other games in the genre.

• 2 months later...

yeah that's cool! i've been tempted by ikaruga and doj model kits before but they look difficult to assemble and probably only look any good if painted, so hopefully this would be easier to assemble and not require painting... anyway if you really want it there are parcel forwarding services that would allow you to buy it, probably expensive though, not sure i want it that much. 

edit - it’s on amazon but yeah looks like they won’t ship it here, at least for now
https://www.amazon.co.jp/斑鳩-IKARUGA/dp/B0847KT45D/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=斑鳩&qid=1596619741&sr=8-4

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of news. Firstly, apparently there's a Radirgy game on the Switch, or is going to be? I can't tell. It looks like it was supposed to come out last year, got delayed until this year, but I can't find any sign that it actually released. 

Made by the same team (both games were Milestone, who went under and reformed as RS34), illvelo is like Radirgy crossed with Wario Ware. So it's a shoot em up where you'll suddenly be ported to short stages usually with a simple task. I have the Wii version of this and it's fun, not as good as Radirgy or Karous, but I liked it a lot. If the Radirgy or Illvelo sequels make it over here I'll happily pick them up

Today, indie shoot ’em up developer RS34, who is known for creating the Radirgy series, revealed the first trailer for its next game, Illvelo Swamp. It’s a brand-new game in the Illmatic Envelope series (also known as Illvelo), which originated as an arcade shoot ’em up developed by MileStone Inc. in 2008 that was later ported over to Nintendo Wii. Illvelo Swamp is currently only set to release on Nintendo Switch, and is set to release in Winter 2020.

Check out the trailer for the game below:

• 2 weeks later...

^ i'm not really a raiden fan (although i like raiden fighters), but they do seem popular so what do i know.

there were some sumups on games done quick, the ketsui and sdoj runs were great. and shoot the bullet is an interesting game - some small parts of that run were done blindfolded i think, i only watched a bit of that one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDsRHSoXNzI

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Rigid Force Redux quite a bit these last days/weeks. It's a nice little R-Type style shooter with faster gamespeed, a lot of variety and an excellent soundtrack. The drone has a different function than in R-Type though: you can't send it away, but you can set it (or rather them, there are up to 4) in four different configurations. Focused shot forwards or backwards or spreadshot forwards or backwards. They don't go too crazy with the idea but it's a nice option to have since they throw enemies at your flank from time to time.

It's not a game that sets the world on fire or anything but I genuinely enjoy it. In addition to some R-Type influences it also reminds me a bit of Shin'en's output on older Nintendo handhelds. It's not quite as impressive visually but it still runs at a clean framerate even on Switch (it's available on Xbox and PC too) and has a similar "feel" to the early Nanostray games.