passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metal Gear Solid 3

Jimboxy

Started playing this last night, only spent a couple of hours on it, but it is fantastic. I think in the two hours i was on, maybe 45 mins was actual playing, but i don't care i love what Kojima does.

Its full of nods and references to the older, but new in time line games, subtle things like to origins of snakes bandanna, a fantastic credit sequence that is a complete James Bond rip off.

It's taken me a while to get into the MGS mindset, the controls don't feel quite right, but they do feel like Metal Gear if that makes sense. It has aged pretty well as well, the graphics feel like a ps2 game, but i very good one, i imagine it would look great played on a standard def telly. Also kudos on the sound as well.

I'll post something more in-depth and less rambly once i've played some more.

I really felt done over with the second one so I never bothered with this one. You play as Big Boss, not Solid Snake?

well, at the moment i'm playing as "naked snake" which seems to be the same person as solid snake, but you never can tell with these things. so who knows. tbh i know nothing about the story and i don't want to until i've played it.

I've met boss, but its a woman and not called big boss, who knows where it is heading..

As far as I can tell, the chronology is: MGS 3 (you play as the original Snake from the old games), MGS 1 (you play as Solid Snake, who is cloned from the original Snake), MGS 2 (you play as a wanker) and MGS 4 (fuck knows, and I don't think I want to know yet).

Basic summary of the different snakes (the ones I know of, not completed Snake Eater and not played Guns of the Patriots).

Naked Snake = Big Boss, his genes were cloned and from those genes, Solid, Liquid and Solidus are born, Liquid is killed in Metal Gear Solid, where Revolver Ocelot loses his arm due to the Cyborg Ninja/Grey Fox, the end of MGS has a sequence where you hear Ocelot talking to the President.

In Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, we discover Ocelot has had Liquid's arm grafted onto his, giving him a new hand, however, somehow this enables the dead Liquid to possess Ocelot, thus making Ocelot the main bad guy, Solidus also turns up, and you discover he was the President that Ocelot was talking to at the end of MGS. He is supposedly killed at the end of MGS2 after a Katana fight with Raiden.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is the beginning of everything, including the MSX titles that feature Solid Snake. You play as "Naked Snake" who is betrayed by his former tutor, Boss, and later becomes Big Boss and the leader of the terrorist organisation that Solid Snake has to fight in Metal Gear, Metal Gear: Snakes Revenge and Metal Gear: Solid Snake.

Y'see if it wasn't for the gameplay of the earlier games I reckon i'd love the insanity of them

MGS 2 (you play as a wanker)

If that wanker is Raiden then he more than redeems himself in 4 to the point where I wish you could play through as him. Kind of P.N.03 with a sword would work well

I've heard that so many times. Not sure how he can redeem himself but I still look forward to playing it.

I'm a massive fan of the first on PS1, I got the VR missions too, plus The Twin Snakes on the Cube, then when I played the second I was crushed at what was essentially Kojima laughing at his own fans. It wasn't Raiden that was the problem, more the overall feel of the game.

I'm still after a copy of this one to get back into the universe before I finally play the fourth.

I don;t think he was laughing at his own fans, he just got carried a way a bit. I never really got the hate for Raiden personally. Yes he was very very naive and he wasn't Snake, but he was a great plot device for looking at Snake from a different angle.

As far as MGS2 was concerned, you have to remember that the opening section resulted in him being labelled a terrorist, therefore him hiding behind the persona of Pliskin and the eventual reveal of his true identity (yes we all knew it was him, but thats besides the point) was very well done, I really don't think the security would have been as lax as it was on the Big Shell if they had any inkling that Solid Snake was there.

i always really enjoyed 2 as well thought the role reversal thing was pretty clever. I never understood all the flack it gets either.

As for three, got to say i'm struggling with the combat. Just had a fight with 8 enemies and it took me about 10 attempts to do it. Everytime i shoot some one i might as well firing peas at them. Head shots don't seem to be one hit kills either <_< Most of the time i don't kill people anyway, i'm all about the sneaky sneaky, but in this particular fight you don't have much choice.

regarding the snake in this game, i've got a hunch about what might happen at the end, but i'll have to wait and see.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...