passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Seeing as our trip to Japan is on the horizon now I thought I'd try to get back into Anime after dipping a toe in properly a few years back with Attack on Titan, Devil Man Crybaby and One Punch Man. 

I'd gotten about 8 episodes into Attack on Titan and then never went back to it, despite absolutely loving it, not sure why, but I tried to seek that out only to find it's only on Crunchyroll now and not Netflix, so that stopped me in my tracks there.

I did see that Netflix have Demon Slayer though and it has got some really good reviews and word of mouth so I decided to try that and yeah, I'm not very far in but have really enjoyed it so far. I'm only about 4 episodes in but I couldn't put it down last night, just wanted to watch one after another, which is a good sign.

I might dip a toe into One Piece too at some point, although that's only on Crunchyroll too I believe.

How much have you seen in the way of classics?

Films like akira, ninja scroll gits, dead leaves, redline. Demon city, patlabor. 

Series again ghost on shell stand alone complex, deathnote, outlaw star. 

More modern, baki, megalo box

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

How much have you seen in the way of classics?

Films like akira, ninja scroll gits, dead leaves, redline. Demon city, patlabor. 

Series again ghost on shell stand alone complex, deathnote, outlaw star. 

More modern, baki, megalo box

I've seen the Western remakes of Deathnote and Ghost in a Shell but not the originals, I've never seen Akira et al. either to be honest. Back in the GTM days I got some DVDs of some older stuff (I think) but I can't remember the names of any of them unfortunately.

Yeah those western remakes definitely don't count, lol

Stand Alone Complex is pretty cool. It's a cyberpunk police procedural, mostly episodic. The 1995 movie is a separate continuity and looks amazing, really cool animation and apparently an inspiration for the Matrix. But it's more a visual showcase than anything else from my memory at least. 

Deathnote is maybe one of the most bingeable TV shows I've ever watched, like Japanese Breaking Bad or something like that. 

I’ve recently gotten back into anime for some reason after not really watching any for years.

If you have Disney+ I highly recommend Tengoku Daimakyo (Heavenly Delusion). Post apocalyptic world, follows 2 people making their way through hostile areas & a secondary plot where there’s a new altered civilisation being created in a walled off area. It’s fucking ace. Easily one of the best modern anime’s I’ve watched. 

I adore the 95 GitS movie. I suppose you could argue that it doesn't go further with its premise than what you could pull out of its title by dissecting it, but it has such a strong, haunting atmosphere in certain scenes, not to mention some of the best animation in its genre (punctually at least – there are some very cheap looking dialogue scenes in there as well, likely as a cost-cutting exercise). You have to pay attention to which version you're watching though, as later releases changed some scenes from 2D animation to very poor 3D animation that both look bad and completely destroy the homogeneity of its art direction. It was one of those George Lucas "improvements" tempted by modern technology.

One thing I'd recommend, though it's maybe a lazy kind of recommendation, is going through the Ghibli catalogue on Netflix. Everyone has seen Mononoke, Totoro, Howl's Castle et al. but I discovered quite a few more unknown (from a western perspective) movies from them a few months/years ago. I particularly fell in love with "Whisper of the Heart", a very grounded and authentic coming of age story (don't let yourself get fooled by the poster artwork) with a bit of romance thrown in. A slow burner with no particular starting or end point, but a very underrated jewel in their well-decorated crown. 

I guess outside of Anime Jalpanese films in general may be of interest, everybody knows been some great horror over the years. "Audition" but outside of the horror give Kamikaze Girls and Memories of Matsuko a try. 

Yakuza flicks basically anything Beat Takeshi most recently Outrage. 

My personal fave Sonatine but but thats def a bit more of a slow burner not for everybody

They are a hit and miss bunch for me Spirited away and Totoro both tend to get most love online I would say and both great.

MY personal Faves though

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Laputa

If you want a challenge - Grave of the Fireflies.