passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

Every other forum's got one, time we did too.

Dont quite know how to start it off, but I watched Blood again yesterday, I'm amazed by how well it's stood up. It's developed a bit of a 'unique' look, but aside from that it's still well worth the watch.

I'm also working through an anime called Kurozuka, about about a warrior from feudal Japan who falls for a vampire. Ever century he wakes up not knowing who he is or how he got there, which adds a sorrow to everything. It'd work better as a film than a series I reckon, they've started adding monsters to fight now to make it last its run. It's very good so far, and can be googled for to watch :)

The best series I've watched recently is Now and Then, Here and There, which is a series about war. Various regions are at war, each telling their people they will win, but in truth it's an eternal fight. They plunder the nearby villages for food, crops and soldiers, taking the children so they can be groomed to fight. The series starts off like Naruto or something similar, comedic and about proving yourself, then in the next episode things get incredibly dark and bleak (boys are groomed to fight, girls are groomed to...?). It's one of the most harrowing anime I've ever seen, astoinishingly written and perfectly paced and I absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for more than powering up.

My favourite anime film (and series too), Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence, just incredible in everyway. The series has a better plot, particularly the first, but the films delve into the philosophy of the world more, and are generally the more clever piece of cinema.

Anyone watching anything else?

Anyone watching anything good?

Special shout out to Berserk aswell, which illdogs got and needs to watch <_< and Paranoia Agent wchi i mentioned in the film thread and now have the itch to watch again. Also im up to date with Naruto so need the wii game when that his :)

I've really got now idea where to start. I havn't watched many but I'm looking for pointers. I've watched Akira, Metropolis, Howls Moving Castle, Totaro etc.... I watched Vampire Hunter D a long time ago and found it comical. Apart from odd bits of Guyver I really need some direction....

It depends what sort of stuff you like, you've watched THE big anime film (akira) and some ghibli which is what most would tell you to start with. Perfect Blue, which was mentioned in the film thread is a good starter, it's quite grounded in reality so doesn't have the cringe aspect some anime do. There's also stuff like The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Grave of the Fireflies (sad film :(), Barefoot Gen (even sadder film :weep: )

The obvious starting points as series are probably things like Bleach, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragonball Z, and they all have their merits but they can be a bit kiddy particularly the western versions (personally I like all of them), they're all action based stuff, but also all quite long running and in the case of Naruto need a bit of patience to get to the really good stuff. They're probably the modern siblings to Guyver/Devilman etc (tamer versions but the same principle), unless you want some robot stuff then theres Full Metal Panic (nothing to do with FMA), Gilgamesh, Gundam etc.

The first 20 eps of Death Note are good, then it falls apart massively. There's stuff like Elein Lied and Serial Experiments Lain which are a bit odd.

There's funny stuff too like Nodame Cantabile and Chobits

Truth is its hard to recommend anime as theres so much of it and a lot of it comes from the same sketchbook. People will tell you one thing is the greatest thing ever but it'll be pretentious shit, or kiddie rubbish, or po faced and uneventful. You're going to sit through a lot of rubbish before you find something good

I keep browsing the Anime section in HMV and it's just so unfamiliar, I'm sure I'd enjoy some of it, it's just finding out which ones are really worth the time.

I've seen quite alot of the Ghibli films, they showed loads on Film4 once just as I would get home from work, I already had Spirited and Howels Moving Castle so I checked the older stuff out. My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, that one with the pilot pig.. loads of them. And I thought they were all great. I went and bought Laputa and Princess Mononoke soon after as I thought they were not only the best animated films I'd seen but the best films generally.

I have seen Akira, I didn't get into it the first time I saw it but it made much more sense on the second viewing accompanied with a few drinks, enjoyed it much more that time. Ghost in the Shell 2: Inocents I also have but I didn't like it that much. I was enjoying the whole murder mystery part of it, then half way through it hits you in the face with philosophy with all the subtlety of a ton of bricks. I might have to use the Akira technique again with it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, might even check out what's been mentioned.

The first Ghost in the Shell sends me to sleep everytime I watch it... I always get to the bit where the empty doll/shell gets run over then wake up just as the tank battle is getting underway, no idea how much there is between them as the only version of the film I own is on VHS, never really upgraded it... I have got the first volume of the second gig of GITS: Stand Alone Series, which seems to be pretty good and much more manageable for me in half hour doses.

Trigun is an excellent series, as is Neon Genesis Evangellion (watch the series before the films, one being a retelling of the final 2 episodes and the other an extension on the ending or something to that effect, as they're difficult enough to understand without seeing the series first nevermind as standalone items!). I was really enjoying Bleach until the Bound came into it and have been struggling through since then and have never really gotten into Naruto despite trying numerous times, although I did like the 360 game that was released (the Rise of a Ninja (?) one).

I also really like Nausicaa, but thats already been covered and My Neighbour Totoro, plus Kiki's Delivery Service are utterly charming. I've got Blood: The Last Vampire, bought it years ago and always felt its animation style was rather week and its story uninteresting, but thats just me.

Some time last year, one of the channels on Sky started showing anime (was it Propeller or something like that? I dunno) and was impressed by the handful of episodes of Elfin Lied I caught

Ghost in the Shell 2: Inocents I also have but I didn't like it that much. I was enjoying the whole murder mystery part of it, then half way through it hits you in the face with philosophy with all the subtlety of a ton of bricks. I might have to use the Akira technique again with it.

The series (stand alone complex) is better for plot, it's still got a fuck ton of philosophy in it but it's dealt with thematically rather than characters quoting Confucious. It kind of takes the plot of the first film and runs with it, dealing with the question of self and reality, only it actually ties it up properly. It's only £16 @ Amazon for anyone looking for 26 eps of awesome to try out.

Spent the day watching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (goodbye mr Despair). It's about a teacher who only looks at life in the very worst way and keeps trying to commit suicide in front of his class. He's got a girl in his class who's the exact opposite and denies all the terrible things that have happened to her (her parents were trying to make themselves taller when they hung themselves). There's a stalker girl, a massive OCD, a non-japanese stereotype... it's piss funny that's all you need to know :)

ive gne and ordered princess monokeke and pocco rosso, cant wait :)

great choices, two of my favorites!

the 2 ghost in the shell series are among the best tv i've ever seen, i rank them up there with stuff like 24.

cowboy bebop is really great too.

edit - i agree with different class, there's so much anime it's hard to know what to try, after getting into it i kept buying box sets if i saw them cheap, this lead to quite a lot of rubbish anime being watched :(

I'm assuming some here will have seen Cowboy Bepop, if you havent you should pick up the series then maybe watch the animated film which is probably too long for its own good.

Anyhoo, they're making a live action film based around it (cant remember which story) and Keanu Reeves is playing the lead character Spike, which has caused the internet to go into an angry meltdown. IMO it's a bit like old man Cage getting hair implants and playing Ghost Rider, Reeves is just a tad too old to do it justice nowadays

Not too mention he's a bit wooden, yes he can do that kung fu shizzle, but he's too stiff with it compared to Spike who's fighting style is very very lose and flowing.

Seen bits of the series, and the movie and enjoyed it, need to get the full series though.

Did I mention Trigun is excellent?

was impressed by the handful of episodes of Elfin Lied I caught

I'm very much anime lite and haven't watched an awful lot of stuff, but Elfen Lied is utterly superb. I downloaded every episode and both me and the mrs were completely addicted to it until we'd seen the last. Then I went and bought the box set.

• 5 weeks later...

HMV has a anime sale going on atm, not many to choose from but i bought death note 1, 2 and 3

Fopp has a sale too so i got Origins and The Girl Who Leapt Throught Time

and on ebay i just bought Grave of the fireflies and Tales from Earthsea

and bidded on Pom Poko, Kikis Delivery Service, My Neighbour Tortoro, Only Yesterday and Howls Moving Castle.

Phew... Im going to be busy.

"Rarwl" :( This could have been could (could still be right guys?), but it looks a bit cheap and she's not especially convincing as Saya. Oh well, at least Akira will be good :):unsure:

there is a glaring error in there somewhere, but i can't quite put my finger on it..