passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve not been reading it just catching the bullet points but they’re changing/retconning Ultra Instinct in DBS manga. I spoil it in case 

Spoiler

So Goku is trying to fight a new bad guy called Gas but even with Ultra Instinct he can’t beat him

Which I can’t even get started on that but it is what it is

There was a flash back where Goku learned his dad Bardock once beat Gas by using some kind of different Saiyan power not known before

Lets not overthink that either

So in the latest chapter Goku is going to fight Gas again but this time in his Ultra Instinct Omen form which is weaker than Mastered Ultra Instinct (Omen once described as like the doorway to true UI)

Goku states that MUI isn’t doing the trick because he has to be completely emotionless and zen basically. But using his emotion and anger will give him the edge. He then proceeds to beat the shit out of Gas

Ok. I have lots of thoughts about this and am conflicted. On the one hand they should have done this from the beginning. Goku should never have been allowed complete UI because one of two things happen. 1) it either makes him unbeatable or 2) it gets thrown under the bus straight away by the next person he tries to fight

It also takes away from the fact that he’s a Saiyan and he’s true power comes from Saiyan biology basically. Using god power instead is interesting but defeats that very key point of the character

It’s also a good way to undo Super Saiyan redundancy if Goku can use UI in a way to fuel his more classic transformations

This is what I would have done if I was writing it from the start. Either UI would have been a technique and never a true transformation which Goku could use to make his old transformations more powerful. Get away from God and Blue and go back to classic with a power boost

Or make MUI a thing to keep in the back pocket and only bring out on very special occasions but Goku can use some of it’s traits with his Saiyan power. Let him combine his Saiyan power with his god power instead of leaving one behind

Stupidly they already did this earlier in the current storyline. Vegeta saw Goku use UI in his other forms and noted UI gets sharper when combined with stronger transformations

So what Goku is doing now - combining his Saiyan power with UI makes no sense because didn’t he just do that? 

You could argue before he was trying to fuel UI with his Saiyan power and now he is fuelling his Saiyan power with UI but it’s very nerdy and semantics either way

So they’re retconning it or changing Ultra Instinct. I’m conflicted because I think the change is necessary, but how they’re changing it and the hoops they’ve gone through to change it is fucking stupid

Also Vegeta obtaining a transformation called Ultra Ego is the stupidest transformation DB has ever had. Unbelievably dumb

Anyway that’s what’s up

^ Looks interesting. Reminds me I need to get back into Vinland Saga. I only have the first two hardcovers. But I'm told it is epic in size.

58 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

First I need to actually finish Berserk tho, the new post-Miura volume that just came out has given me the motivation now I think cause it looks like it will be moving quite fast (comparatively speaking) 

Ironically, the hiatus' were due to Miura's health. I did watch a review of the first New chapters. I was pleased and a little relieved. Hopefully the special edition Volume 41 boxset I have, will receive an English translation now.

You don’t get too many classic heroic moments with Goku, but I love this one from DBS. The music when Goku does his thing is so good. Also they fucked up Goku’s character a lot in DBS, but the bit where he talks about Jiren feels absolutely spot on 

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

The dynamism of the fighting and energy of the movement really impressed me. Certainly a very different story.

Spoiler

I suppose it is What If Frieza didn't destroy Planet Vegeta? Then Broly would have arrived on Earth around the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament, for some reason? Also, Vegeta is a Super Saiyan?? Goku goes nuclear because Chi-Chi (who he doesn't even remember at that point) gets hurt?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Yo @OCH spoilers 👎

I ain't reporting it just to save Dangerman looking at it lol

That not a spoiler. There is a reason that is the last page, opposite Miura's name and the thank you message to the fans. I wouldn't be surprised if it was added posthumously, as the sentiment seems more apt to his death than it's context.

1 hour ago, spatular said:

is it worth changing the thread title?

To be honest, I read and watch stuff. I just feel these are more apt to discuss here than the Book or Comic threads. As the volumes I read aren't so much single issues as collected paperbacks.

I'm pretty sure we used to have a manga thread but it's gone now, I don't really mind if people are using this one.

It's rare it's going to be an issue, but let's say you're on book 114 of JoJo, it'd mean having to be extra careful about spoilers in case someone is watching the series

See that's the thing. I tend to be in the opposite camp to what Dangerman was suggesting. JoJo, for example, I'm very far behind the anime others have been watching/discussing. But to me it doesn't really matter.  I think if someone is talking about episode 150 and you are only upto episode 6, you are too far removed for spoilers to be applicable.

The only thing I can say to that @spatular is that I tend to read (and talk about) more than is watched in the thread. At the moment at least? Maf will be back at some point to discuss the newest Dragonball film, I'm sure.

• 1 month later...

Near a 🍅 trailer 

FFXIV burnt me out on Automata, wonder if this will have hints for new story directions for the next Nier/Drakengard title tho

Also for something so anime, I'm not sure it translates as well to literal anime. Kinda feels like the style was perfectly achieved already in video game form, especially with the stylish, flowing and perfectly blended animations and the meta-textual elements in its gameplay